A discussion regarding population

Anders

love rolling someones furniture then this random "npc neighbour" calls the cops on me pfft. continuity team has done a lot yet they're so far from the end goal. having to differ between old and new explanations is what leads players into holes and get punished because they don't know what to follow. it's either there is or there isn't npcs. since the script is already enforced for illegal rp, it should be for everyone. in saying that, i myself don't agree with the npc logic. sure, have the rules of not doing dumb shit in public where it would obviously be populated, but don't tell me to npc randoms all the time when the area is obviously empty. players and admins are so quick to pick and choose when the rule applies to them or others, it's just not fair. you either stick to something or you don't, simple.

Hi, yes, the solution is to make the population equal to the amount of characters created (that are alive) since the server started.

The ID of newest chars is quite high, we'd haveat least 100k population I think. 

That's all, if you disagree fine, but I don't wanna get in another huge discussion, ngl.

On 9/15/2022 at 10:20 PM, Late said:

The city has a low population because the ISLAND is only 7 miles long by 3 miles wide. 

Let's work out how many current properties there are in the server. We then multiple that by 2.53 (the average number of people per household in the US) and that will give us our IC population estimates. 

/thread

+1

Supporting

• Upvote 1

GTA lore states LS is the countries second largest city.

This puts population between 2.7M (Chicago), and 8.5M (New York)

This should have no bearing on where crimes can and can not be committed as these are governed by server rules and safe zones / restricted crime zones.

However anyone who lives in a town of only a few thousand population can easily tell you they look very different to a city with skyscrapers and international airports & city metro’s like LS.

Oh here's an idea. So everyone's commenting on GTA lore of it being like, 6m people.. okay then here's a solution. In the early 2000s LS/SA experienced a boom in population, so the buildings etc were put up and the city developed. But as time went on, the crime rate became that high that the crime in LS was more than the next 5 cities combined, causing a mass exodus of people leaving LS as a city with between 19k-100k people left, a crime haven on the US west coast.

that's just a fun little idea, cause there's no way to RP it as a 6m people city, and no way it can be RP'd as a quaint little town given the level of infrastructure we can very clearly see. 

42 minutes ago, Mecovy said:

Oh here's an idea. So everyone's commenting on GTA lore of it being like, 6m people.. okay then here's a solution. In the early 2000s LS/SA experienced a boom in population, so the buildings etc were put up and the city developed. But as time went on, the crime rate became that high that the crime in LS was more than the next 5 cities combined, causing a mass exodus of people leaving LS as a city with between 19k-100k people left, a crime haven on the US west coast.

that's just a fun little idea, cause there's no way to RP it as a 6m people city, and no way it can be RP'd as a quaint little town given the level of infrastructure we can very clearly see. 

is this the plot of a new netflix show? we're portraying los angeles in modern america, not a d&d campaign. people need to suspend their disbelief and actually use their imagation for once.

Suspension of belief. We can't NPC millions of people on every street corner. We also shouldn't be pretending this is a town in the middle of nowhere with less than a few thousand people. Use common sense. Have some common courtesy. Use a rouse to get someone into a secluded area if you want to rob them. Car trouble. Ask to use their phone. Something. Doesn't take a mastermind to do that. Don't abuse the current IFM ruling as an excuse to just run around like its Mad Max, which is what a lot of people do. It's just lazy. I don't care that crime is committed in broad daylight but at least use a brain. For the love of all that is GTAW, stop using the "my character is careless/reckless" routine because its just an excuse to be lazy in a majority of situations.

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

It would be illogical to act like LS has 4 million people when there is never any traffic jam and there are only enough properties to maybe house 2000 people.

Bro it's a roleplay server, just because every single aspect of life is not portrayed mechanically doesn't mean you start to automatically assume that it just straight up doesn't happen.

Roleplay it, like damn man.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, soudiere said:

Bro it's a roleplay server, just because every single aspect of life is not portrayed mechanically doesn't mean you start to automatically assume that it just straight up doesn't happen.

Roleplay it, like damn man.

Yes. Roleplaying traffic jams or smog or the huge homeless population you'd see in Mission Row and some other LA related things does nothing but add flavor to your RP. If I tell someone "sorry, traffic was bad" and they reply with anything along the lines of "haha what traffic? theres like 400 people on this ISLAND xD" then i am not interacting with that individual ever again.

Roleplay is about using your imagination, not having everything spoon fed to you like it's a Call of Duty campaign. 

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1