A discussion regarding population

Anders

Hello. As evidenced in the latest Continuity post regarding the LS population;

Quoting Kappaurel; 

"I refuse to act like LS is a completely normal city, when its clearly not. But at least give us a ruling.

What is the population of LS? 3000 people? Or should we act like it had 4 millions like LA?"

What are your guys opinion on this? Because on one hand, it makes no sense a major city like Los Santos is empty like this. A ghost town. It'd be unheard of in the US.

On the second hand, it gives the illegal rpers some breathing room given that they're already pretty oppressed by the rules. I am talking of the illegal scene, not the AYO CUH scene.

Maybe @Nightmare can read this so please behave yourselves and do not derail it. Pinging @Kappaurel too

• Upvote 1

I prefer to set the lore of LS with the real population number of LA. It's easier to comprehend and doesn't break the reality of LS.

"It makes no sense a major city like Los Santos is empty like this. A ghost town. It'd be unheard of in the US."

If you set it to, for example, 3000 people, it will change everything. Why does the city have a very low population number? How did it happen? When did it happen? Does average people can still live there? Is it safe to live there? Etc. When it gets brought up in IC conversation, it will be very confusing and immersion breaking after the first guy do /b idk it's stupid forget about it.

IMO we should pretend that NPCs or any other make-believe characters are doing their daily life normally. And then there are us, players with characters, that can interact with each other, changing the shape of the city.

PS: LS is a normal city, or should be. I don't understand what Kappaurel meant by LS is not a normal city.

Edited by varthshenon
  • Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, varthshenon said:

I prefer to set the lore of LS with the real population number of LA. It's easier to comprehend and doesn't break the reality of LS.

"It makes no sense a major city like Los Santos is empty like this. A ghost town. It'd be unheard of in the US."

If you set it to, for example, 3000 people, it will change everything. Why does the city have a very low population number? How did it happen? When did it happen? Does average people can still live there? Is it safe to live there? Etc. When it gets brought up in IC conversation, it will be very confusing and immersion breaking after the first guy do /b idk it's stupid forget about it.

IMO we should pretend that NPCs or any other make-believe characters are doing their daily life normally. And then there are us, players with characters, that can interact with each other, changing the shape of the city.

PS: LS is a normal city, or should be. I don't understand what Kappaurel meant by LS is not a normal city.

Sorry, should've added context which is this;

Can we finally get an official IFM announcement about population portrayal? Are we supposed to continue with Bospy’s previous ruling and only take IC population as people who are actually online? I’ve seen multiple and conflicting reports about this. Some admins expect people to use common sense in what would be a normally populated area and other Admins rule in line with Bospy’s ruling (if they aren’t there IC, they don’t exist). This basically makes our city a complete ghost town of 700-1000 people, whoever is online at the time. 

I understand this is a highly involved topic, but it needs to be clarified. Leaving it up to interpretation simply creates too many issues. If this has been clarified, please kindly point me in the direction of the post and/or thread. Thank you 🙏

Population should be based on the number of playerbased. It's a form of powergaming to rp NPCs you cannot see. You want a realistic population then incorporate actual NPCs players can see in the game. Wait, rage can't handle that, so it's not possible. I don't have time to go back and forth, I barley have time to play the game as it is.  I just want to give my opinion on here whether you agree or not.

7 hours ago, varthshenon said:

"The majority of the population has fled due to the massive amount of crime & lack of support from the government to fight the rising crime rate. Those that remain are criminals, police & a small amount of people who love the city too much to abandon it" Ez pz lemon squeezy

5000 people or 1 million people, we NEED a set rule/continuity in place about the population, it's confusing leaving it open & unknown.

Edited by PeopleKind

The city has a low population because the ISLAND is only 7 miles long by 3 miles wide. 

Let's work out how many current properties there are in the server. We then multiple that by 2.53 (the average number of people per household in the US) and that will give us our IC population estimates. 

/thread

Edited by Late
  • Upvote 3

pretending npcs are there and we're in a city of 4million people won't work

someone gets shot in an alleyway, then the cops or the person who got shot wants to roleplay someone being the alleyway and seeing it, the shooter doesn't. its impossible to do because people BEING in an area influences crime greatly, if I see 10 people around someone, I'm not going to shoot them, but if we're NPCing players who literally dont exist, then you can just argue that theres people on every street, every store, and so on.

would create way more confusion than it would good.

5 minutes ago, Late said:

The city has a low population because the ISLAND is only 7 miles long by 3 miles wide. 

Let's work out how many current properties there are in the server. We then multiple that by 2.53 (the average number of people per household in the US) and that will give us our IC population estimates. 

/thread

not an island