Stop with the ridiculous depreciation of vehicles, especially modified ones

CaffeineHigh

37 minutes ago, Solsroyce said:

Guy clearly has never bought a used car in real-life.

That is the problem. We have people whos probably still being supported by their parents or never even bought a used car themselves trying to pressure admins to push their understanding (or lack there of) of used cars onto the rest of the server.

This is a common problem I see on a lot of RP servers. When you RP and emulate real life you also can emulate the problems with certain systems that also exist in real life. One example is the court system on here, if you do a full trial after being charged with a crime, calling witnesses it takes a long time IRL. That is still the case on the server and doesn't go away just because its RP. The problem comes in is players sees this issues and pressure admins to do something about it not understanding this is an issue IRL as well and just something you have to deal it. 

Edited by Power

Some people actually do have real life experience with this despite claiming they don't simply because opinions differ from others. There's nothing about our system that's remotely believable. The average car doesn't depreciate 50% the moment its driven off the lot. That's just a silly statement in an attempt to justify what's going on here. Someone show me a source that says differently, I'll be glad to admit wrong. Depreciation occurs over the first year, 20-30%? 50% over 4-5 years? Believable. Not half the value of the car the second its off the lot. Go into any respectable used car lot with a one year old car in good condition with a just few thousand miles on it. You're not getting offered 50% of what you paid for it. That's not how it works. 70% easy if the car was kept in good condition. Hell when I was in car purchases & sales, we even referenced Kelly Blue Book for fair market values when both buying and selling along with our internal values. In real life and in most cases, people walk away and go to another dealer if you try to rip them off. Anyone saying otherwise went to a back alley lot that ripped you off.

In any case at the end of the day, people are going to be impatient and/or stupid. The dealers offer that low also because people keep accepting the offers. Call it impatience, not wanting to wait to sell it privately, whatever. They'll keep doing it if people keep selling them that low. Nothing that can really be done besides forcing the bottom line higher, i.e. changing /vscrap percentage.

Edited by Chill

People forget that it's not just the /vscrap being at 20% that matters. Setting the /vscrap value at a higher percentage is going to be half the fix.

So what else is there? Mileage.

Mileage contributes a shit ton to a vehicle's market value, why? Because when the moment you hit 1250+ miles on your car, the market value drops by a lot. Why do you think people put emphasis on the "Low Mileage" in their ads? Because past that 1250 or so miles, the vehicle will require maintenance often to run. Yeah, no. You're not going to have mechanical problems at 1250 miles. Is it supposed to simulate greater distances? Because that's not working.

If you think about it, setting it so mechanical problems occur way later down the line would greatly reduce vehicle flipping as most people wouldn't be wanting to change their cars so often because "Oh no my car is about to hit 1k miles, it's ruined! Better sell it before it does and get another one!"

TL;DR: Increase /vscrap value, increase the mileage it takes to need maintenance.

• Upvote 1

You ever heard the term, a car loses half its value the second its tires hit the road? Well... its like that irl.. its like that here. It's why companies go to great length to not rack ANY amount on the mileage before use, and why $30,000 cars go for as little as $2500-5000 in the second hand dealer market. This is a realistic server.. but its better than the pennies you get for a scrap.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Mecovy said:

You ever heard the term, a car loses half its value the second its tires hit the road? Well... its like that irl.. its like that here. It's why companies go to great length to not rack ANY amount on the mileage before use, and why $30,000 cars go for as little as $2500-5000 in the second hand dealer market. This is a realistic server.. but its better than the pennies you get for a scrap.

PSA: Do your research. Stop justifying what happens here as realistic. It’s not. 

What you’d said couldn’t be further from the truth. The average car does not depreciate 50% the moment it drives off the lot. Does no one do any research around here? Not sure where everyone is getting that from. Look it up. Tell me what you find. Please. I worked in car sales and purchasing for a dealer. This is a huge misconception. People are going to some scummy side lot dealers if they are getting offers like that. At that point, you deserve to get screwed. But the average dealership? No, it won’t be half the value just because it’s been on the road. 

EDIT: Here I’ll make it easy for you. Show me where it says 50% the second it’s driven off the lot. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=average+depreciation+rate+of+a+car&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS1022US1022&oq=average+dep&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59j35i39j0i512l3.2676j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Edited by Chill
13 hours ago, Jimenez said:

I simply scrap my cars, it costs me about 5-10k extra in lost value. But it makes up for the idiocy that you would otherwise have to deal with with lowballing buyers and what not. 

Saaaame. I just scrap it and thats the end id it. Cba with certain idiotic lowball offers. 

if someone pushes me to sell.a car 5-10k above scrap price I will scrap it just to spite them.

• Wuhtah locked this topic