Things the community can do to grow bigger?

Libra

55 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

If a clear pattern emerges (like 95% of players saying "the potatoes are overcooked so I left the server"), it gives the admins and devs interesting insights and ideas to fix the issue (e.g.: cooking the potatoes less :p).

I think myself and many others in the community can agree that there are a fair few "overcooked potatos" that have been brought to the attention of both players and admins alike - It's just a case of wait and see as to whether or not admins have any plans/ideas to fix said problems. 

Edited by milk

At the end of the day, despite how valuable our players are to us, you can satisfy one person with a decision you make and upset 5 people as a ripple effect of that same decision. Life is a tricky subject and part of life is understanding that you can’t please everybody in the world. 

A small group or two left the server which impacted us by around 15 to 20 players (at most). The very reasons they left was back to my point above: please one person, upset others. Some deal with it properly and some throw tantrums and eventually lead themselves into a spiral of regret for the decisions they’ve made.

Our players are valuable, but so are the bylaws of the server. Failing to abide by them leads to punishments which involve players either voluntarily leaving or being forced out as a result of their actions.

You lose some, you gain some. Some stay and some leave and the ones that stay are usually the ones you know are decent members of the community, both roleplay wise and behaviour wise.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Maca said:

At the end of the day, despite how valuable our players are to us, you can satisfy one person with a decision you make and upset 5 people as a ripple effect of that same decision. Life is a tricky subject and part of life is understanding that you can’t please everybody in the world. 

A small group or two left the server which impacted us by around 15 to 20 players (at most). The very reasons they left was back to my point above: please one person, upset others. Some deal with it properly and some throw tantrums and eventually lead themselves into a spiral of regret for the decisions they’ve made.

Our players are valuable, but so are the bylaws of the server. Failing to abide by them leads to punishments which involve players either voluntarily leaving or being forced out as a result of their actions.

You lose some, you gain some. Some stay and some leave and the ones that stay are usually the ones you know are decent members of the community, both roleplay wise and behaviour wise.

While I agree to an extent that the valuable players for servers will just appear and choose to stick around of their own volition, it can't be ignored that many people in the world aren't keen to try something and immediately cling to it for better or worse. And, forgive me if this seems rude at all - I don't intend it to be, but having a "Whatever happens, happens." attitude about it is part of the problem. We should be trying to encourage people to stick around rather than just letting players come and go willy-nilly.

2 minutes ago, Maca said:

A small group or two left the server which impacted us by around 15 to 20 players (at most).

Gravedwellers, Rancho 13, Grove street Crips and the West Coast Mob are four factions I can name off the top of my head, unless these factions had a total of 5 players each, I doubt it was only that maximum, players have just cycled in and out and it's appeared like there's less. Potentially some have come back under different affiliations too, but still the lack of content and roleplay ability for illegal factions is what's causing them to become stagnant and close down, which in turn drags down the roleplay of legal factions, e.g PD/FD, giving them less to do and become bored, which is a problem a lot of us are facing currently. As a member of PD I can say that I've seen it myself - Members just playing other games to bide time simply because there's not a lot to do on the server.

• Upvote 1

That's wildly incorrect. Those 4 factions that you have just named left the community on bad terms and decided to violate multiple rules (including deathmatching and asset transferring / bug abuse) because they didn't get their own way. Them type of players are not welcome back and players like them are encouraged to either change or follow them out.

We once adopted a mentality of "ah please don't do that again" and it didn't work. Players just walked all over the staff team and the community in general with no regard for how the rest of the community felt about their actions. So now, naturally, we're tougher on the players if they violate rules. 

EDIT: Without intending to be rude or confrontational, as an illegal roleplayer I also think the excuse of "there's nothing to do" for illegal factions to be incorrect and slightly lazy. There's plenty to do, people are just too lazy to research.

Gravedwellers haven't left the server, maybe if you do some investigating you can see I'm still playing GTA:W on different characters,

we're not a perfect bunch but besides myself all my guy's are clean as for admin records I made a few errors, frankly I'm frustrated  that we close up on good terms and it still manages to some how become bad terms.

edit: some have just gone off from RP all together once we L&Ad.

Edited by Critchalee
  • Upvote 5
1 minute ago, Maca said:

Without intending to be rude or confrontational, as an illegal roleplayer I also think the excuse of "there's nothing to do" for illegal factions to be incorrect and slightly lazy. There's plenty to do, people are just too lazy to research.

There's nothing rude about it. You're not wrong. There is also plenty to do but I don't think at least for some people the issue is a case of not enough research but a case of like not knowing to get make their concept mesh with the rest of the community. While I'm not really one for spoon feeding people information, I feel like some people feel directionless on the illegal front from the jump and it's just a case of, either people who have their head on their shoulders are going to swim and everyone else is going to drown and they aren't going to get anyone to really pull them out of the water. 

Granted I could be wrong but as far as I can see, some people are just lost at times with illegal rp. I don''t know why and I can't constructively point as to why it is but it just seems that way. 

19 minutes ago, Jedai said:

There's nothing rude about it. You're not wrong. There is also plenty to do but I don't think at least for some people the issue is a case of not enough research but a case of like not knowing to get make their concept mesh with the rest of the community. While I'm not really one for spoon feeding people information, I feel like some people feel directionless on the illegal front from the jump and it's just a case of, either people who have their head on their shoulders are going to swim and everyone else is going to drown and they aren't going to get anyone to really pull them out of the water. 

Granted I could be wrong but as far as I can see, some people are just lost at times with illegal rp. I don''t know why and I can't constructively point as to why it is but it just seems that way. 

You're completely correct and I'm (without wanting to sound big headed) one of those people that are swimming and selfishly leaving others to drown. A lot of that comes from my staff commitments so when I get the chance to roleplay I really lack the patience to spoonfeed people and tend to associate myself with roleplayers in my faction that are capable of managing their own characters. 

Factions left because they felt the administration was in the wrong. I would know because I co-lead one. On top of that, speaking with those factions many felt the administration/faction management didn't really care for them, but instead go against them. Which made people not wanna play. Those factions had valuable good rpers, ones that could develope, and create RP while following servers rules, which many did for a while. That's hard to come by in todays generation because most people just stand there like a statue, and not create anything. Alot of people need to be spoon fed. Those who were reported, either were punished or let off.

On to the topic though, make the server enjoyable without micro-managing everyone's RP. Let people enjoy what the server has to offer. Build population by having people enjoy the server, not hate it.

Edited by Insanity
1 hour ago, Insanity said:

On to the topic though, make the server enjoyable without micro-managing everyone's RP. Let people enjoy what the server has to offer. Build population by having people enjoy the server, not hate it.

I really agree with the micro-managing point. 

As long as factions aren't breaking obvious OOC rules and spoiling the experience for others (DM'ing, PG'ing, constant robbery, ETC) they should be allowed to do whatever they want, if there's something obviously weird or off about a faction I feel like that should be more of an IC problem then an OOC one.

I've seen faction ideas and suggestions shut down because of silly stuff like race or gender when all that should be an IC problem not an OOC one, if say for example someone has a problem with a woman running an MC, that should be an IC problem and if people want to have a problem it should be RP'd, not just cut off OOC, what's the point in a RP server if you're limited to specific characters and stereotypes? 

It's a great sever and I love where it's at (apart from a few personal differences) so don't get it twisted, but I do feel like factions are dealt with a little harsher then they should be.

Edited by Liam_Airey