ISPs and you

Anders

On 8/21/2022 at 12:49 PM, Anders said:

What is the community's whole mindset when it comes to portraying realistic ISPs and buying internet from them? I know most of you use NPC ISPs for this purpose but I am curious why and how the few people in this niche market can do better to appeal to players and businesses. We already have cheap prices, we advertise all the time and people seem to know Dot-IT exists but don't want to order. It is not about the money by the way before you ask, I have been in the red since I started this company back in August 2021.

My initial reaction to these concepts is always positive. Niche businesses should be supported and encouraged. When it comes to interacting, for the average business, there are some concerns. We can ignore some of the more obvious concerns like, it doesnt actually do anything, or it costs money for little in return. When you're concerned with generating roleplay, those are trivial. But what follows is more complex;

• What roleplay is this going to generate in the long run, interaction wise? 
  • What initiates roleplay between your businesses and their clients, after the roleplay setup is done?
  • Can you, or someone else, sustain this sort of roleplay with zero script support in the future?
6 hours ago, mj2002 said:

My initial reaction to these concepts is always positive. Niche businesses should be supported and encouraged. When it comes to interacting, for the average business, there are some concerns. We can ignore some of the more obvious concerns like, it doesnt actually do anything, or it costs money for little in return. When you're concerned with generating roleplay, those are trivial. But what follows is more complex;

• What initiates roleplay between your businesses and their clients, after the roleplay setup is done?
  • Can you, or someone else, sustain this sort of roleplay with zero script support in the future?

• I think bullet point one and two are essentially the same question.  Some ideas from myself:
    • It would be good to perhaps expand on the accountancy element which you offer alongside the domain element. 
    • Perhaps introduce some kind of maintenance element, I understand the challenges that poses without script support and limited money.
    • Someone mentioned earlier some kind of on call tech support....or even telesales trying to upsell packages.  Again not sure how that would work with limited money.

Just a couple of ideas which I am sure you have thought of already. Either way I am a massive fan of this kind of rp.

While I don't use these services. What could be used in the future, if there is enough support for the business, an OOC global message similar to when Aurum has blackouts. 

**Internet access via DOT.IT is currently restricted**

Etc

I'm a bit late to this thread, but as someone who works in the industry IRL, Dot-IT just doesn't strike me as an ISP, mainly because the marketing is too focused on the data hosting side of things, and doesn't explain exactly *how* the company provides it's customers their internet connection. I know most people don't think of the actual infrastructure of their home internet connections, but to me, it's the most important part. Mainline CATV / trunk fiber / trunk POTS, drop cables, and the actual outlets at homes. That's how the internet works, and without some knowledge of broadband infrastructure, or some acknowledgement of it, at least, Dot-IT will continue to be seen as just some... Data hosting group. 

A service technician that's sent to your home by an ISP, assuming that ISP is a broadband provider of some kind, is going to be driving a largish van, carrying multiple ladders, and will have some sort of primary testing tool to check signal qualities. They'll be knowledge of their products, and able to troubleshoot and solve most any issue - from bad modems, to bad drop cables. This is the sort of roleplay I'd want to see from an ISP, as a public-facing venture.

On the inside, there are plenty of opportunities for roleplay inhouse. System / maintenance technicians, who work on the mainline. Customer service agents who handle complaints. Technician supervisors, who will do quality control checks, as well as on-site inspections of their techs. Headend technicians. The list goes on and on. 

Just like a real ISP is little more than miles and miles and miles of cable and switches, and a headend; Dot-IT should focus less on the data hosting / website creation, and more on the actual infrastructure, if they want to see more success. Spin off other ventures into sub-companies, just like real life. 

On 8/24/2022 at 7:31 AM, mj2002 said:

Hello. 

I've had a pretty slow going, not gonna lie about that. The company was more passive and only with huge clients did we actively interact with people, installing things and so on for them and regularly checking up on them. This has now changed with the introduction of three new people just to handle clients/sales in their respective areas. 

We are still of course learning and expanding as we go but as you know, people aren't that interested or seek a salary we can't realistically afford at this stage and with what little income we actually get and I know there is LFM funding but I'd like to use that as my last resort because I do want this company to stand on its own legs and reinvest and expand naturally than getting money printed.

I can and have sustained this roleplay for a year now, I believe it can work without script support. I'd love script support but it is not a necessary for us.

On 8/24/2022 at 2:25 PM, Jolagh said:

• I think bullet point one and two are essentially the same question.  Some ideas from myself:
    • It would be good to perhaps expand on the accountancy element which you offer alongside the domain element. 
    • Perhaps introduce some kind of maintenance element, I understand the challenges that poses without script support and limited money.
    • Someone mentioned earlier some kind of on call tech support....or even telesales trying to upsell packages.  Again not sure how that would work with limited money.

Just a couple of ideas which I am sure you have thought of already. Either way I am a massive fan of this kind of rp.

It would indeed be good to extend that but as it stands now, it is only really offered to people who have a need for it such as logistic companies, big businesses and of course businesses with inventory needs like Desburrito, Raven and you.

This is more to save the guy who's good at it time and less pain in having to manage everything because it is rather complex piece of software. I'll however ask him if he can write up a guide and go from there

We do maintenance but really only on big companies. This is because I am the single technician, when we get more? I'll start making more maintenance calls and so on. I know it sounds like a cop out but I work with what I have.

That's already being worked on.

On 8/24/2022 at 4:24 PM, Welsh said:

While I don't use these services. What could be used in the future, if there is enough support for the business, an OOC global message similar to when Aurum has blackouts. 

**Internet access via DOT.IT is currently restricted**

Etc

We're sadly not a faction so I don't think this would happen. I'll ask tho.

On 8/24/2022 at 7:40 PM, Melºn said:

This is pretty much it.

As Aurum runs the energy for the state, it would be good to see DOT-IT who to note, have been around a considerable amount of time to know that @Anders takes the concept seriously, take control.

A company to manage the infrastructure of new connections, broadband etc is something I can fully support and as I'm sure we can all agree, Anders and his team do incredibly well.

Thank you, i love you too.

21 minutes ago, Helm said:

I'm a bit late to this thread, but as someone who works in the industry IRL, Dot-IT just doesn't strike me as an ISP, mainly because the marketing is too focused on the data hosting side of things, and doesn't explain exactly *how* the company provides it's customers their internet connection. I know most people don't think of the actual infrastructure of their home internet connections, but to me, it's the most important part. Mainline CATV / trunk fiber / trunk POTS, drop cables, and the actual outlets at homes. That's how the internet works, and without some knowledge of broadband infrastructure, or some acknowledgement of it, at least, Dot-IT will continue to be seen as just some... Data hosting group. 

A service technician that's sent to your home by an ISP, assuming that ISP is a broadband provider of some kind, is going to be driving a largish van, carrying multiple ladders, and will have some sort of primary testing tool to check signal qualities. They'll be knowledge of their products, and able to troubleshoot and solve most any issue - from bad modems, to bad drop cables. This is the sort of roleplay I'd want to see from an ISP, as a public-facing venture.

On the inside, there are plenty of opportunities for roleplay inhouse. System / maintenance technicians, who work on the mainline. Customer service agents who handle complaints. Technician supervisors, who will do quality control checks, as well as on-site inspections of their techs. Headend technicians. The list goes on and on. 

Just like a real ISP is little more than miles and miles and miles of cable and switches, and a headend; Dot-IT should focus less on the data hosting / website creation, and more on the actual infrastructure, if they want to see more success. Spin off other ventures into sub-companies, just like real life. 

Hello! 

My business vision really, considering what we roleplay in, is to be more of a Ovh/ATT kinda service. Just focusing on the ISP would hamper our roleplay but I can say most of our  clients are actually using our internet connections on top of other services. This includes mobile and physical connections. 

We have tried to get the City to agree to the plan that we'd build out a municipal broadband network in the city and cell towers in the county but I was told that it is not needed as the city is already connected to such a thing with fiber to everyone and there's already towers across the state. We are however working on a new store-front and I will work on a FAQ answering these questions a normal client may have. We've had really competent people, one even runs his own ISP, work on this company and set up the roleplay with me helping whenever I can but my knowledge in ISPing is limited. I am more skilled in server administration and some minor networking but not enough to call myself an expert on it or anything. 

We already have a bulky van or two that I use for technician duties, has a ladder and everything. Comes with all standard tools a service technician may need. Again and I know I keep harping on this but this is a niche market. You won't actually find a lot of people interested in a more deeply realism about networking and trouble shooting because we do have to roleplay with people who may not exactly know what it is about. We want both sides to have an enjoyable time roleplaying and not be deterred you know? I get your point I do but not all want to see that. 

This all requires employees who's willing to stay. We struggle with that but we try to do maintenance in both our centers whenever we can and constantly work to upgrade and expand the network.

And that still requires people interested in this kind of roleplay. I know there is some as evidenced by this thread and we're always open to hiring more people. Just don't expect an action packed place with a lot of salaries and much structure. You have to understand this company was mostly built by me at the start. I did everything, installation, service, sales etcetera. Only recently have I gotten people more competent than me to help me with this so it is slow but eventually we'll get there.

Thank you and I hope this answers some of your qualms. Feel free to hit me up on Discord at LobbyZ#0020 if you wanna talk more.

On 8/26/2022 at 11:41 AM, Anders said:

We have tried to get the City to agree to the plan that we'd build out a municipal broadband network in the city and cell towers in the county but I was told that it is not needed as the city is already connected to such a thing with fiber to everyone and there's already towers across the state. We are however working on a new store-front and I will work on a FAQ answering these questions a normal client may have. We've had really competent people, one even runs his own ISP, work on this company and set up the roleplay with me helping whenever I can but my knowledge in ISPing is limited. I am more skilled in server administration and some minor networking but not enough to call myself an expert on it or anything. 

We already have a bulky van or two that I use for technician duties, has a ladder and everything. Comes with all standard tools a service technician may need. Again and I know I keep harping on this but this is a niche market. You won't actually find a lot of people interested in a more deeply realism about networking and trouble shooting because we do have to roleplay with people who may not exactly know what it is about. We want both sides to have an enjoyable time roleplaying and not be deterred you know? I get your point I do but not all want to see that. 

On that first paragraph, I just wanted to let you know that if you still have that sort of plan for the roleplay, and the municipal government isn't interested; the Federal government is extremely interested in seeing Broadband access expand to rural communities. This means building out CATV / Fiber into those communities, instead of relying on Cellular connections. For instance, running a long, long fiber line along Great Ocean Highway into Paleto Bay, and then building out a fiber network, or from there building out CATV. Or being a cheap-o and building out POTS. So, if money is no object for yourself, or perhaps if Property Management or someone sees fit to help provide roleplay in some way by providing funds to pay in-game contractors, saying your company acquired a grant from the Feds to build such access into Paleto or Sandy Shores or Grapeseed is not unreasonable, and would be a great way to get yourselves visible in the community.

As for the second, I do understand where you're coming from, as well. It's exactly what's deterred me from starting my own sort of company or faction on some character, or joining one; especially since there is little in the way from Continuity admins in terms of what major ISPs service Los Santos and where. Creating an entirely new faction that's based on one of the mega companies like Charter or Cox or something seems not feasible, since they'd realistically have a huge presence in the city, but most people aren't interested in such a niche roleplay opportunity, either with the group, or on the outside. Still, I've toyed with the idea, and may just see what opportunities are like with your faction itself, some day!

• Upvote 2
  • Wuhtah locked this topic