Legal Namechange System

Narco

Detailed Description

I believe there should be a system for legal namechanges via the courts where a player can file for a legal namechange (not through marriage),  in which a judge could review the case, and then use a script related command to approve it in which your previous name would appear in /stats or in the MDC database, and would transfer your weapon licenses etc. I believe this should 

Relevant Commands/Items

/approvenamechange /requestnamechange (requires a thread via judicial section on the forums to get approved in which a judge could /ncreqlist or do this on the UCP / MDC somehow?) 

How will it benefit the server?

Currently you have to roleplay going to the court house, then contacting JSA, buying a namechange then getting an admin to give you your licenses back since FLD is unable to do so. I believe this would make the process easier on everybody from every faction as in real life this is just done by going to a court house, paying the fees, filing it in a newspaper or an article and then a judge will most likely sign off on it. 

I can understand how this could POTENTIALLY be abused if a player tries to roleplay a different character, although it would appear in the MDC / Judicial Forum section / UCP as (Former Name) or even in /examine so that players cannot powergame being someone else. 

Edited by Narco
  • Applaud 2

Seems like a suggestion to skip roleplay, nonetheless, I think the UCP could use a Legal Requests Panel much like the recently added:96b96703a729c99b9f489afaf52df0af.png

A legal requests panel on the UCP would hold options such as Legal Name Change, Asset Transfer Requests and Item Request Scheme 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Law said:

Seems like a suggestion to skip roleplay, nonetheless, I think the UCP could use a Legal Requests Panel much like the recently added:96b96703a729c99b9f489afaf52df0af.png

A legal requests panel on the UCP would hold options such as Legal Name Change, Asset Transfer Requests and Item Request Scheme 

Oh no not at all, you'd still have to go down to the courthouse as well as type up a format on the forums and then rp'ly appear in court over the forum thread. Although I do like your suggestion much better. 

yeah please. currently this system is heavily abused, and everytime i bring it up my post ends up getting deleted (watch this) without anyone actually addressing the issue

if you have a criminal record you want to shake, you can very easily name-change but RP that your character ICly changed their name, whether that's just changing 1 letter in your character's name somewhere (seen that one a few times), or swapping to a brand new name in general. there is no system set up for this by staff, so, lets say you have a whole host of charges on your record or maybe a warrant, just change your name and suddenly it's all gone and no one will even notice unless you go around blabbing about it. OR just get married and when you take your partner's surname, gg, you're clean and free. needs a system

a simple fix for this is to have all NCs go through staff, so it can be established if the new name is still the same character, or if they're changing to a new character entirely - that way any existing info for that person can be transferred to the new name and not wiped to a clean slate.

Edited by joshua
  • Upvote 2

As long as name changes cost IRL money, there is no reason to let a faction or player decide if I can use what I paid money for, and when. Additionally, what happens when no judges are in game to approve?

Okay, sure - you can say that there can be certain dates where namechanges are done ICly to help with coordination, but what if that date/time doesn't work for me because of my IRL schedule? What if I'm an aussie, and the only times to get IG namechanges are during East-Coast USA times?

The idea has too many holes in it.

Edited by Fergie

I think he means this as an IC suggestion hes not talking about OOC changes or what you can do wit your money. I think he's looking for a legal way forward to change names.

To which I say no. Leave it as it is, if you want to proceed doing this OOCly and rping the same character than so be it!

• Kyra locked this topic