Solving the looting issue

Nervous

1 hour ago, Resick said:

just continue punishing ppl that dont roleplay looting, or unrealistically loot, why is this change necessary? implement harsher punishments?

Well clearly that hasn’t worked or this wouldn’t even be a discussion. Looting was already frowned upon. It didn’t do any good. People would be even worse loot goblins if there were more guns they could get their hands on, don’t be naive. Obviously this is a much larger issue than you or I realize or management wouldn’t have even brought this up. The loot mentality needs to stop. Punishing hasn’t worked. Relying on players to report hasn’t worked. Suggest a reasonable alternative. 

Edited by Streetsy

This is a good short-term solution, but as others mentioned, it would be better in the long term if there was a progress bar that needed to be filled to run someone's pockets. Locks someone in an animation for a determined amount of time, and throw a rule in that someone has to do a /me of looting the body before they begin the process.

At the very least it means I won't have to see 10 different /ajails a night that mention people looting in public followed by situations getting voided.

1 hour ago, Vassilios said:

In case people haven't seen the replies from the staff team in the previous pages, you may request a weapon to be fixed by an admin if there was a valid reason for the looting and it was properly roleplayed. So it doesn't punish everyone, just the people who go around looting.

Yes and I'm sure they will be responded to in a very timely manner with the low number of /reports a day and the enthusiastic administration team ready to assist the playerbase at a moments notice.

34 minutes ago, Streetsy said:

Well clearly that hasn’t worked or this wouldn’t even be a discussion. Looting was already frowned upon. It didn’t do any good. People would be even worse loot goblins if there were more guns they could get their hands on, don’t be naive. Obviously this is a much larger issue than you or I realize or management wouldn’t have even brought this up. The loot mentality needs to stop. Punishing hasn’t worked. Relying on players to report hasn’t worked. Suggest a reasonable alternative. 

Evidently you  have no idea what the issue is. The issue is not looting, it is looting unrealistically or looting with no roleplay. Also i suggested harsher punishments and you say it hasn’t worked, as if harsher punishments have already been put in place. So please dont quote if you’re gonna be talking nonsense. 

Maybe you could do it like the new house robbery script. Allow people to loot "crates" (or just some generic thing) worth some coin based on what the person had on them.

Say you shoot someone you're trying to rob for the guns, they die and they drop an item on the ground thats worth 25% of the gun they had instead of this broken gun system or whatnot.

It'd stop people looting guns from dead bodies for sure.

I feel like this is going to create more and more headaches... I gotta wait for an admin for yet another thing? I already wait long enough for the most basic of reports half the time and needing a gun/needing a revive are both things which are both highly time sensitive. I've seen people wait nearly an hour for mundane reports before, waited even longer myself, and with the amount of gun fights there are, this is just going to take up so much more of an admin's time as they gotta look through the revives, talk to players, check logs, ask what other admins think, make sure what's happening is truthful or not, etc, etc.. Not to mention, what admins can do this? All of them, or just a few of them? Do I gotta wait for a senior admin who may not even be online to do this?

A better solution would be putting a timer on how long you have to wait before a gun is lootable, maybe ten minutes or more. It doesn't make sense, but it's way better than just straight up breaking a weapon in a way that makes zero logical sense and also leaves a completely useless object that can't be used for anything. It means that people would have to hang around the body, so if the cops were coming, they wouldn't have time to loot it, while also rewarding players who pick their fights in more secluded locations that are less likely to attract attention. 

5 hours ago, sCrax said:

What if we just stop being afraid of losing rulebreakers and actually impose harsher punishments on people that blatantly loot corpses in unrealistic situations? This is just another band-aid fix for a bigger issue. Not to mention that this solution is nowhere close to a "heavy" roleplay server. I know that management is probably afraid of losing some income if they start banning malicious rulebreakers but improving the RP standard would help in so many ways. This "fix" doesn't really solve shit. Just look at how the player base went down. Getting rid of rulebreakers for good and improving the RP standard would actually give other people a reason to stay. It's going to pay out more in the end to cater to proper roleplayers instead of people that don't give a single fuck about roleplay or the server itself. We can count ourselves lucky that we can even get those 600 players during the peak. Only reason for that is that there are no other text-based servers. We should finally wake up and start solving the low standard till other servers open. Otherwise we can wrap this whole thing up and change the server type to freeroam.

100% this. People go over this fact too easily, and I really don't agree with Wutah and Nervous wanting to avoid having to punish players. Such an apparantly enormous amount of players participating in looting is a sympthom, not a problem in and of itself. GTAW is a text-based roleplay server surrounded by voice RP and light RP servers. Players who engage in looting need to be made aware it is not acceptable, and if they don't want to play "our game" they need to go.

However, imo in game design if you don't want something to be done at all, then remove the option. I think Nervous' suggestion is fine, but people seem to have a problem with the word "broken".

• Wuhtah locked this topic