feeling totally out of place as an average joe/criminal character

Gallagher

21 minutes ago, Gallagher said:

ok thanks wuhtah - can we now move the topic towards what we can do to create more businesses for average joe's. maybe work out why there are so few as is. 

if you've attempted to create a business like this and it hasn't been successful, explain why 

While I'm not a business owner, I do play predominantly lower class characters. Thinking about it logically, it makes sense for these more upper class venues to succeed more often than not.

A lower class character is not always going to be at a venue, even if it's oriented for their own specific socio-economic class. My character's far more likely to just kick it at the block, play some basketball, work on and drive his car and other similar activities that don't require some kind of financial investment to engage in. The only times such businesses really end up working out is when venues basically end up functioning as community hang-out spots that occasionally functions as a business. So mostly convenience stores, as seen with many Asian and South Central facs, or in the context of some Vespucci facs I've seen, a hobbyist shop, like an arcade or a skate shop.

Lower class bars, clubs and general night-life venues are going to be the exception for where to go to, not the norm for most lower class/average joe characters.

Which is in pretty stark contrast to more upper class characters. It's not uncommon, from what I've seen, for those kind of characters to jump from venue to venue, and generally those kind of characters aren't really intent on visiting more gutter-like areas.

The only times I've seen such businesses really pan out is when they open like, once a week tops, as seen with Rancho's La Vida or K-Town's Ji-Ok. Which doesn't really help with the lack of availability of places for lower class characters to go to whenever they do feel like going to a venue.

Edited by soudiere
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Wuhtah said:

Could I ask when you got denied for this? And ... could I also have your move request number? Just to look over! 

More leeway in concept changes in general? Issue with this is that people want to go from... some sneaker store to a stripclub and don't give from X to Y development of why tf they go from selling sneakers to wanting to own a stripclub.

As of right now, every move is pretty much accepted except for a select few. 

back on lsrp what i liked was the brackets

a 'bar' could have been a bar, social club, anywhere that sold alcohol bar a nightclub

a nightclub could have been a strip club and vice versa

one thing aswell i'd like to see PM consider for criminal characters is that there's no need for a huge story and background on upbringing, inspiration, criminals will buy businesses with cash to launder cash and use as a front, i often find myself having to sort of 'fabricate' a story just so i'm not denied on this basis

• Upvote 1
Just now, Chuckles said:

back on lsrp what i liked was the brackets

a 'bar' could have been a bar, social club, anywhere that sold alcohol bar a nightclub

a nightclub could have been a strip club and vice versa

one thing aswell i'd like to see PM consider for criminal characters is that there's no need for a huge story and background on upbringing, inspiration, criminals will buy businesses with cash to launder cash and use as a front, i often find myself having to sort of 'fabricate' a story just so i'm not denied on this basis

Hmm.. I'll bring up the bracket idea for sure, it actually sort of falls under the scripts too. I'll bring this up to the leads as well for sure.

We don't always know who is a criminal though, and we do want to see the business used to the general public and not JUST to do illegal ... stuff. I know that I'm more laxed on leases for background stories and whatnot and tougher on property requests. Do you think perhaps criminal characters would go for leases instead, or is it the monthly fee that is an annoyance? 

We don't need too much of a character background story, but I also understand what you're saying here because realistically, IRL - you don't need to tell the people why you want it, what you would do with it, your life story - you just need the financials. However, we do have to have some of that involved to stop 20 year olds from getting prestigious nightclubs. So, compromising with at least a rough background story and why your character wants it should suffice - or what do you recommend?

7 minutes ago, Gallagher said:

i just struggle to believe that business owners have it THAT bad with criminals on this server.

there are relatively few criminals

the admin team teeeends to favour civilian rpers

jail times are huge

SD/PD have so many options at their disposal to catch people

im fairly sure u cant even extort a business if its out of ur 'turf'

I don't think it's that bad honestly, but its still finding people who are willing to deal with that. Obviously a lot of the legal scene isn't willing to unfortunately, which is why we have such ridiculous places catered towards the rich.

Edited by Streetsy
  • Upvote 1

@Wuhtah one suggestion i had in IFM was that characters should be allowed to use alt characters for the sole purpose of running a business. this would massively help out illegal factions who have a lot of characters within them that'll never get approved.

its totally unrealistic for my skinhead gang member (with no IC cash) to run a business

however - why cant i create a 50 year old civilian alt to do it? if i tried that now, im fairly sure i'd be rejected for not roleplaying enough on the alt

yeah, it would suck for me as an individual - cos my 'real' character is missing out on the rp - but it means that i could provide roleplay.

Just now, Gallagher said:

@Wuhtah one suggestion i had in IFM was that characters should be allowed to use alt characters for the sole purpose of running a business. this would massively help out illegal factions who have a lot of characters within them that'll never get approved.

its totally unrealistic for my skinhead gang member (with no IC cash) to run a business

however - why cant i create a 50 year old civilian alt to do it? if i tried that now, im fairly sure i'd be rejected for not roleplaying enough on the alt

yeah, it would suck for me as an individual - cos my 'real' character is missing out on the rp - but it means that i could provide roleplay.

I like this idea! As long as you explain that it's a 50 year old civilian alt solely for trying to make more RP to run a business for around your faction - it should be fine as long as everything else checks out too! Just make sure not to metagame between the characters, and I would also ask your faction/unofficial group leader if it would be okay to do so as well.

1 minute ago, Streetsy said:

I don't think it's that bad honestly, but its still finding people who are willing to deal with that. Obviously a lot of the legal scene isn't willing to unfortunately, which is why we have such ridiculous places catered towards the rich.

one part thats funny to me is that there are so many of these businesses which are catered towards affluent characters, that it no longer has the sort of exclusivity that expensive businesses have irl.

instead of having 4 bars all aimed towards an upper class target audience open at the same time, it would make more sense to condense this down into one business.

this would means theres more activity in one area and theres a legitimate exclusivity if u attend it.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Wuhtah said:

Hmm.. I'll bring up the bracket idea for sure, it actually sort of falls under the scripts too. I'll bring this up to the leads as well for sure.

We don't always know who is a criminal though, and we do want to see the business used to the general public and not JUST to do illegal ... stuff. I know that I'm more laxed on leases for background stories and whatnot and tougher on property requests. Do you think perhaps criminal characters would go for leases instead, or is it the monthly fee that is an annoyance? 

We don't need too much of a character background story, but I also understand what you're saying here because realistically, IRL - you don't need to tell the people why you want it, what you would do with it, your life story - you just need the financials. However, we do have to have some of that involved to stop 20 year olds from getting prestigious nightclubs. So, compromising with at least a rough background story and why your character wants it should suffice - or what do you recommend?

i think a general background check on the player/character would suffice, a lot of characters are affiliated to faction centres and post screenshots frequently, so that'll be a good gauge for quality of roleplay too, i generally think criminals would be satisfied with leases or owned businesses because they both serve the purpose they're suppose to, serve as both hubs for roleplay and offer financial benefits 

in FM on LSRP, we had a good working relationship with PM where a certain number of businesses were allocated to IFM for factions/groups but i have much more faith in PM here than I do FM

13 minutes ago, Gallagher said:

i just struggle to believe that business owners have it THAT bad with criminals on this server.

there are relatively few criminals

the admin team teeeends to favour civilian rpers

jail times are huge

SD/PD have so many options at their disposal to catch people

im fairly sure u cant even extort a business if its out of ur 'turf'

Yeah pretty much. I gave a business owner a phone number and they called the cops and like 7 cruisers arrived. Wasn't even extortion or anything.

Just now, Chuckles said:

i think a general background check on the player/character would suffice, a lot of characters are affiliated to faction centres and post screenshots frequently, so that'll be a good gauge for quality of roleplay too, i generally think criminals would be satisfied with leases or owned businesses because they both serve the purpose they're suppose to, serve as both hubs for roleplay and offer financial benefits 

in FM on LSRP, we had a good working relationship with PM where a certain number of businesses were allocated to IFM for factions/groups but i have much more faith in PM here than I do FM

This is also a good idea too. We could work with IFM since they are constantly monitoring the factions/groups RP they could give an 'approval' so to speak and we could work with that faction/group on a 1 on 1 basis via forum DMs or even a thread itself to work towards getting you guys a business. But that's also up to IFM/LFM as well, but I'll definitely bring it up. 

My only worry is increasing the workload for PM as we are already swamped (and we constantly get new members in). We have been doing regularly changes to see what works and what doesn't work as well. But we are also adding more concepts to the plate as well for others to get more roleplay opportunities / less hoops to jump for (but also makes more work for us). I don't want you guys waiting longer than 2 weeks to get a business because that's just absurd. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic