feeling totally out of place as an average joe/criminal character

Gallagher

6 hours ago, doble_brown said:

1. blips ads behind a paywall is bullshit;

2. 200k bonus for every character created even the new ones, does not bring realism to the server just some joy to the newbie that starts on the server. To be a everyday Joe you need to have struggles to have cash. It's so easy to be rich on this server. New people on the server can't RP or portray right a character so just giving them cash to enjoy is stupid for me. 200 k is to much.

1. Fully understand that, things were changed to add a location marker on the /cad. Moreover, hosting this large of a server costs money especially in infrastructure, not to mention backups and maintenance.

2. You were not here on GTAW before the 200k were added, people legitimately were grinding RPG jobs just to kick start their new characters. Moreover you do not get the full 200k all at once, you get it over a span of 40 hours in chunks of 5k. Moreover, you see a person who has a new character and spent the whole 200k on a fancy car? There's an RPQM Report you can file.

People can not roleplay an average-Joe and struggling for money? I've seen people regardless of the 200k play those, properly.

On 7/25/2022 at 10:19 PM, Kari said:

Agree. I've seen candle/flower/grocery shops open at 3-400 players getting 2-3 customers. Hardly *ever* upwards of ten. Niche shops often reach similar numbers depending on the night.

We used to run a salon (hair and nails) and it was such a painful experience to get in anybody at all to roleplay.

It just seems to me any concept that revolves around roleplaying is considered a "niche" concept. They never draw a lot of customers. The business script where you get 1K for somebody entering relieves the pain a bit. You open a store 9 out of 10 people that enter leave immediately without roleplaying at all. I don't think anything is going to change that. The only business concepts I think work are restaurants / takeouts, bars, strip clubs and nightclubs.

I run a cinema now and very few people come. But that's okay. The few people that do come are often very enthusiastic and say it actually feels like going to the movies. Yesterday two people asked for a refund because they came an hour early and said the service sucked because they had to wait too long, lol.

I also did tarot readings once (house calls) and while most of the time I got trollish phone calls, it was some of the best RP I had because you actually talked about character development and I met characters I would have never met otherwise. But I don't think a lot of people know how to roleplay in such a situation.

People need to get rid of the idea that unique ideas get rewarded because they rarely are. You need to enjoy what you're doing and be flexible in terms of expectations. Get ready to lower them. New and interesting concepts are often very solitary and highly appreciated by a very few. But high concept roleplay often draws a few rare likeminded people. It's just very sour when you "wait" weeks to open your business, only for it to sort of result in an anti-climax. But it's not any different than real-life. That's why I think the process should be fast-tracked.

"Average Joe places" aren't just rare. Average Joes in general are rare. The way I see it, what OP is asking for is a place to portray their character / concept. When the majority of people on this server aren't looking to portray anything at all. They're just looking to go to a place and spend time. When you go to a club, most people aren't really engaging with each other. They just stand around like they're socializing in WoW's main city, listen to some music, talk a bit on Discord or in /f. There's not a lot of lines flying around, and it's often incoherent. It's just how people play the game. I don't think you're even going to change that.

Going to a place with the expectation of having some rich roleplay is just very hit or miss. "Visiting businesses" is often not really part of these types of characters' roleplay routine. So the problem partially lies with the restrictions people put on themselves. When I roleplay a civi, we often "get food" at whatever business is open because it's easy to create roleplay around. Visiting a salon would really be something else. But when I roleplay on my criminal character, I don't care all that much about "getting food".

• Upvote 8
9 hours ago, doble_brown said:

I already mention some of the issues of the server right now that bugs me out.

- having only 50 slots for a property furniture is a joke. Extend it to 150 or 200;

- blips ads behind a paywall is bullshit;

- 200k bonus for every character created even the new ones, does not bring realism to the server just some joy to the newbie that starts on the server. To be a everyday Joe you need to have struggles to have cash. It's so easy to be rich on this server. New people on the server can't RP or portray right a character so just giving them cash to enjoy is stupid for me. 200 k is to much.

- pedestrian skins give more atmosphere to the server because they are a bit uglier than the perfect characters most people create. Allow ped skins again.

- Add more struggles on a daily bases, I know people come to RP to don't deal with bullshit but on the other hand they want realism. Add taxes, add health taxes...  

But this isn't related to 'average Joe' places. This counts for any property or business, right?

23 hours ago, mj2002 said:

But this isn't related to 'average Joe' places. This counts for any property or business, right?

Yes, but players should have a bigger margin to furniture their places without paying OOC. It really shortens the creativity of a person that is trying to do something. 50 slots can barely furnish a room with some realism.

• Upvote 1
On 7/29/2022 at 12:41 PM, Wuhtah said:

Probably not the concept that is denied. Probably the lack of request that is denied. Any unique concepts are tried very hard to push through if the character is appropriate enough or if the player is willing to work with us.

Edited by damnbrah
nvm ion wanna get cancelled
  • Upvote 1

Demand and supply. People want they want. Majority wants high end stuff. There's this argument you can make about majority not knowing what they really want and rather flow with what's offered, but that's hard to believe. The server has been facilitating this kind of roleplayers for years now, that brings nothing but ERP, cringy social interactions, high-end lifestyle, and none of it is HEAVY RP. 
Hell, even high-end places allow anyone to enter the place without filtering the clientele by dress-code or wealth, cause all they care about is the money.

You can try and pin the problem to IFM or PM, but its alot more than that. It's a lot of things that are poorly managed, starting from the server economy, bureaucratic property applications, leniency in RP standards, characters with flawless traits and rich at their 20s. My suggestion is just roll with it or quit the server, cause you won't find what you're looking for here. 

Edited by Gambler
2 hours ago, Gambler said:

Hell, even high-end places allow anyone to enter the place without filtering the clientele by dress-code or wealth, cause all they care about is the money.

This is very true, which suggests they're barely high-end at all, and it happens for a few reasons.

One is absolutely money. People just want that sweet $1000 per person, and having a crowd, and don't really bother to raise prices on sales and entry fees accordingly... in part because rich people also don't know how to play rich and some will crook their nose at overpriced food and drinks in what is supposed to be an exclusive business.

Two is that turning people away at the door and informing them they don't fit the dress code is how you get your business vandalized, or shot up, and your bouncer stabbed. Again, and again, and again.

Three, you end up being extorted by some nonsense mob faction who "owns the neighborhood" in the year of our lord of 2022, who instead of wanting you to preserve your business model and, realistically, make money, demands you allow people in your high-end business that look like they're dressed to shoot ops in South LS.

So even the people who want to do high-end properly find it too much of a headache. So you don't actually have high-end anything. What you have is over the top interior mapping, that's it. The employees, service and business model is almost never actually high end.

• Upvote 2
On 7/29/2022 at 12:41 PM, Wuhtah said:

Probably not the concept that is denied. Probably the lack of request that is denied. Any unique concepts are tried very hard to push through if the character is appropriate enough or if the player is willing to work with us.

You say if the player is willing to work with you. Why would anyone like to be micromanaged by people who are not neccessarily smarter or educated on the subject,  but just rather had a good behavior, never had an argument, and now hold of a position of "power" in the ranks of PM?  See how that's not fun?

Edited by Gambler
  • Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, Gambler said:

You say if the player is willing to work with you. Why would anyone like to be micromanaged by people who are not neccessarily smarter or educated on the subject,  but just rather had a good behavior, never had an argument, and now hold of a position of "power" in the ranks of PM?  See how that's not fun?

How come you confuse 'willing to work' with dictatorship? When I say willing to work with us, this means educating us. I am confused on where the disconnect is and why you automatically assume this? 

There are plentiful things I do not know about and some do. There is a player who is running a successful business now in which I had 0 clue on and wanted to give him a smaller property. They explained it, gave me a few links to read up, and I gave him the property he wanted. 

Goes both ways, please don't assume the negative. Working with us means to work with us - just how we'll work with you.

• Wuhtah locked this topic