feeling totally out of place as an average joe/criminal character

Gallagher

11 minutes ago, Lindsie said:

Perhaps, I like the interior so I might be biased. 😛

I mean I like it too, I think it's really nicely mapped and looks good, but I don't think it's realistic when every other interior looks like that. I mean I recall there was a bar that was over at the giant mall or whatever by Rockford Hills that literally had a giant waterfall in it that was coming down off of large boulders, then a downstairs with like these private hangout lounges.

I see where you're coming from though. 

As I was called out by ic name already I'd like to chime in here:

There are some tremendeously atmospheric and realistic (mostly, not only night-)clubs out there. I know, as I visit as many as possible ic (and lack the time to attend them all still).

Unironically, you will have to find the (sometimes indeed hidden) gems amongst the "standard" establishments that live off the crowd visiting them (which can make up wonderful rp btw, after all it's about interaction, and not about who has the bestest tapestries, AHEM)

It is also correct however that the typical interior design is, specially for american measures, indeed unrealistically high. This is caused by a variety of reasons- many europeans are used to higher ceilings, for a start, camera perspective and 3rd person view play tricks on us, for a second, and last but not least certain items of specific length forcing people to use this heighth to not cut their objects.

This is the one thing I'd have to critize about the op example design- it is too high. Space does not come free, architects for decades had incentives to build low rooms, specially in megacities with a densely urbanized environment (such as LA).

However the same also counts for LSNN's office- see height comparison below in the spoiler.

Spoiler

3cb4889b522cf98ba2f7b7ac7c8750be.png

As this size comparison- Carry, basketball basket, wall- shows elegantly,

Last but not least I'd like to break a lance for other people who rp wealthy here. As correct as @Narco is when stating what is common sense and indicated in the character creation rules- we can't all be filthy rich ic, that'd be boring- let's speak about realism a moment.

Who ultimately owns the supermarket chain, or the franchise burger joint down at my corner irl?

Exactly, not the guy serving me who's not off any better than I am, but some rich corporate dudes and dudedettes.

Why would this setup make a lot of sense ingame too (opposed to our system that de facto promotes sole ownership rp)?

Simple, a wealthy person in the back can afford the - in Los Santos unavoidable- eventual backlash that typically hits a business at one point, may it be arson or lack of success while building up or whatever else that cuts a businesses' profit. Or the business being mostly for rp and not profit.

Similarly, a wealthy owner in the background can finance stuff like renovations if an interior is in whatever way not wanted.

The downside?
Accountability.

As a matter of fact, people want to be independent ic, and this counts double for (most) criminals who are classic outlaw-types, not thieves in the system.

The concept is so unpopular in fact that it was explicitly outruled in property rules:

At least by standard regulations, it is forbidden to hold businesses and appoint managers only.

Well, that's a self fulfilling prophecy to see businesses close constantly...

20 minutes ago, knppel said:

There are some tremendeously atmospheric and realistic (mostly, not only night-)clubs out there. I know, as I visit as many as possible ic (and lack the time to attend them all still).

Unironically, you will have to find the (sometimes indeed hidden) gems amongst the "standard" establishments that live off the crowd visiting them (which can make up wonderful rp btw, after all it's about interaction, and not about who has the bestest tapestries, AHEM)

It is also correct however that the typical interior design is, specially for american measures, indeed unrealistically high. This is caused by a variety of reasons- many europeans are used to higher ceilings, for a start, camera perspective and 3rd person view play tricks on us, for a second, and last but not least certain items of specific length forcing people to use this heighth to not cut their objects.

This is the one thing I'd have to critize about the op example design- it is too high. Space does not come free, architects for decades had incentives to build low rooms, specially in megacities with a densely urbanized environment (such as LA).

However the same also counts for LSNN's office- see height comparison below in the spoiler.

Hide contents

Last but not least I'd like to break a lance for other people who rp wealthy here. As correct as @Narco is when stating what is common sense and indicated in the character creation rules- we can't all be filthy rich ic, that'd be boring- let's speak about realism a moment.

Who ultimately owns the supermarket chain, or the franchise burger joint down at my corner irl?

Exactly, not the guy serving me who's not off any better than I am, but some rich corporate dudes and dudedettes.

Why would this setup make a lot of sense ingame too (opposed to our system that de facto promotes sole ownership rp)?

Simple, a wealthy person in the back can afford the - in Los Santos unavoidable- eventual backlash that typically hits a business at one point, may it be arson or lack of success while building up or whatever else that cuts a businesses' profit. Or the business being mostly for rp and not profit.

Similarly, a wealthy owner in the background can finance stuff like renovations if an interior is in whatever way not wanted.

The downside?
Accountability.

As a matter of fact, people want to be independent ic, and this counts double for (most) criminals who are classic outlaw-types, not thieves in the system.

The concept is so unpopular in fact that it was explicitly outruled in property rules:

At least by standard regulations, it is forbidden to hold businesses and appoint managers only.

- just to add, wasn't calling you out, rather saying you actually portray your character properly as she's actually famous IC, and a news person, whereas most people just drive around in luxury cars, go clubbing all day and don't have a proper portrayal when it comes to their career etc rather just go club hopping and bar hopping 24/7. 

I do applaud you for being one of the only characters that is pretty much not illegal nor on the really "LEGAL LEO" side, rather a civilian that is properly portrayed. Props to Carry. (Big fan). 

Edited by Narco
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, knppel said:

Reveal hidden contents

The downside?
Accountability.

I think a lot of people just get annoyed by  characters who don’t express depth. Whether it’s implied or not. As the saying goes “at the end of the day this is a game”. People who log in to play clubs log in and go to clubs because they like going to clubs. They may have a job or two IRL, maybe even go to school still. They just want to log in and have fun in the environment that interests them. A lot of people do this actually. Gang members, cops, politicians, your average joes. Some people play at certain hours and don’t have the time, interest or freedom to explore the mundane side of their character. 

And that doesn’t necessarily have to be a bad thing. I think you could roleplay having a job that you don’t actually spend 60 hours a week doing in order to be that exhausted drunk at the bar every Saturday. Same as how I don’t think you need to own 30 real businesses to be this  rich douchebag or spend months going through an academy to become a cop. I think a lot of people just miss that aspect in their storytelling and that’s what triggers @Narco and many others. Characters can have depth without the player actually going through the ropes but it takes effort, and when that effort isn’t there characters just fall flat and their believability just drops. 

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Late said:

You should visit Nut Buster Kebab.

1:1 mapping, very realistic, not extravagant in any way. Cookie cutter American fast food/diner layout and design complete with LOW ceilings.

20865cadad65c4164b394d4e16e611a8.jpg

96ebcad7796fe21ab80b66c98e7f81f9.jpg

I’m gonna need lower ceilings…

• Upvote 1

Server needs an El Burro Ranchero type business, pure run down Mexican burrito business with an atmosphere among the chefs and people that worked there. But as mentioned, people that bring those ideas are likely to get shut down due to how the characters are represented in-game. Why can't a run down family business be a thing? Where they struggle to make payments each month; this is a common theme nowadays, businesses struggling to make ends meet, far too many businesses on here cater to the wrong community.

More run down businesses with good vibes to cater to the right people is needed.

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, Late said:

You should visit Nut Buster Kebab.

1:1 mapping, very realistic, not extravagant in any way. Cookie cutter American fast food/diner layout and design complete with LOW ceilings.

20865cadad65c4164b394d4e16e611a8.jpg

96ebcad7796fe21ab80b66c98e7f81f9.jpg

this is how a business should be mapped, other owners should take notes from you.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Narco said:

Props to Carry

Thanks for the flowers, rest assured I got it that way the first time (I try to not read things between the lines that aren't said 😁).

I just wanted to differentiate a little- not everyone being wealthy has to be renowned (left alone famous and respected).

If they fulfill their role- that does the trick 😄

53 minutes ago, Late said:

visit Nut Buster Kebab.

For apparent reasons one of the long lasting and successfull businesses in town.

Edited by knppel
  • Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic