We must stop being shitheads to each other

alina2137

7 minutes ago, Kucheras said:

Why are you calling the police directly across from ms13 gangbangers

That’s just a feature. The Wanted System on GTA World is very complex and as a result the understanding of all its dependencies can be problematic. There are two main mechanics related with the detection of crimes. The first one is the presence of witnesses in the place where the law was broken. They will be automatically alerted if a crime has occurred in their field of vision. However, they can also reach the crime scene late, e.g. when they have heard the sounds of fighting. If your character is identified as having committed a crime, the witness will start fleeing to alert the LSPD by calling 911. You can set out to chase such people to stop them. You can stop a witness by, for example, killing him. Unfortunately, this method will not work as expected in locations where many people are staying. 

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
40 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

That’s just a feature. The Wanted System on GTA World is very complex and as a result the understanding of all its dependencies can be problematic. There are two main mechanics related with the detection of crimes. The first one is the presence of witnesses in the place where the law was broken. They will be automatically alerted if a crime has occurred in their field of vision. However, they can also reach the crime scene late, e.g. when they have heard the sounds of fighting. If your character is identified as having committed a crime, the witness will start fleeing to alert the LSPD by calling 911. You can set out to chase such people to stop them. You can stop a witness by, for example, killing him. Unfortunately, this method will not work as expected in locations where many people are staying. 

The fact that I can't tell if your explaining how GTA NPC's work or how players behave on GTAW is concerning.

• Upvote 1
On 7/19/2022 at 5:37 AM, Gallagher said:

it feels like u wrote this in the heat of the moment cos im struggling to understand what the exact point is.

if u want is a server where everyone is a civilian and nothing bad ever happens to your character, you should consider a different game.

there's plenty of things you can do to avoid criminal activity. this server is very pro-civilian in comparison to past iterations of roleplay servers.

I've got to agree with the above comment. Not much else to say from me.

On 7/18/2022 at 3:37 PM, Gallagher said:

it feels like u wrote this in the heat of the moment cos im struggling to understand what the exact point is.

if u want is a server where everyone is a civilian and nothing bad ever happens to your character, you should consider a different game.

there's plenty of things you can do to avoid criminal activity. this server is very pro-civilian in comparison to past iterations of roleplay servers.

It seems you didn't quite understand the point they were trying to make and that's on part of how the post was written. They weren't speaking from a perspective of not ever wanting anything bad to happen. From my understanding, they were suggesting that people's actions should not be dictated by what they simply CAN do and take a step back to analyze whether or not they SHOULD do something. It's not just about your enjoyment. It's not just about civilian enjoyment or criminal enjoyment. It's meant for everyone's enjoyment. We're all here to complement each other. Without civilians, criminal RP suffers. Without criminal RP, the server looks like second life. We're supposed to be story tellers for the good of the server, not just for the good of ourselves. There can be good days and bad days of course. Bad events, good events. That's apart of what makes a good story. If your sole goal is to come on here and go out of your way to bring other characters as much trouble as possible just because you CAN, then I believe you should consider a different server or game. Not you specifically, but using the word in a general sense. There are an alarmingly high amount of people that I've seen here who do just that, along with their majorly poor self-inserts that can't accept winning AND losing is apart of the story. These players do nothing but degrade the experience of people who want to co-exist and make this server an enjoyable place for themselves and others.

If I'm a civilian and I'm held at gunpoint, could I somehow find an angle out of it? Maybe. Maybe the robber takes his attention away from you, maybe they lower the weapon for a split second. Should I do that? Not always. Most normal people tend to value their lives and won't put themselves in that kind of danger. I choose to go along with it and use it to develop my character. Does it happen a lot here? Sure. Does it get tiring? Sure. But whatever, it's part of the city that we have that is drowning in violence. Maybe I develop a character to where they finally have enough and throw all caution to the wind. Does it get me killed? Maybe (at which point I would CK). Do I get away with it, but barely? Does the criminal now try to find me because I could call the police? There's so many avenues this could take. People just tend to see black and white as a win or lose. This is just a bad way of looking at it.

If I'm a criminal holding that civilian at gunpoint, could I somehow not be a ruthless John Wick killer and simply want a few bucks or quick score? Absolutely. Could I choose to RP the after effects of adrenaline after the robbery? Do I have to pistol whip or beat someone into a coma just because I can? No. What if I'm trying to steal a car? What if I don't instantly get the minigame right like I'm Memphis Raines expert car thief? I can choose to be a little inexperienced and as a result the alarm would go off.  I can choose to allow some risk into my character's story. Could someone have seen me? Could they have recognized me? Could they identify me to the police? Did I make a mistake? These are things that can introduce new folds into that story. We are all human at the end of the day and more people should act like it.

It's always so black and white with a lot of these players and I believe the OP was advocating for people to be more mindful of what they choose to do just because they can versus going over whether or not they should. Personally, I'd find it quite boring to be a hardened, ruthless criminal all the time. I'd also find it boring to play a cardboard cutout of what people perceive to be a civilian. There's always different angles and stories that can unfold if people just took these points into consideration a little bit more. I think that's the moral of the discussion.

Edited by Streetsy
  • Upvote 1

i think a lot of people in here are missing the point that you don't have to be a cunt to the player you're robbing killing or doing x y z to and that when it comes to the ic actions of your character you should probably think more from the character's perspective than your own.

incoming text wall as always cause im not a concise writer at all when speaking my mind

examples would be like, you want to call the cops to fuck that character over and save yours - but realistically would your character really call the cops INFRONT of a criminal or even really be all that bothered? most people threaten to call the cops but never do, especially in certain areas. its only really in rich areas that they actually make good on those threats. same thing with crime, almost every time of the few times i've been robbed aside from 2 the players have hit me with very clearly oocly-guided insults meanwhile in a real robbery you're not holding someone up to call them names this or that it's typically very goods/money focused and a lot of the time you want your mark calm so they can actually give you their shit quicker. it makes sense if it's some scared 16 year old kid with a glock but some grown ass man running up on some lady going "GET THE FUCK OVER HERE MALLRAT, PASS UP YOUR MONEY DYKE" (not the exact quote obviously but you get the point lmao) has got to be the silliest shit I've ever seen in robbery rp and no matter what bullshit the RPers that do that crap try to excuse it as - it's not authentic, it's you trolling to insult a player you don't like. we're all roleplayers and we're all here to have fun, the point is to do shit with respect to another player's enjoyment as well. and perhaps that a lot of the times it's better to not jump on the opportunity to shoot someone or call the cops on someone just because they did something that now allows you to do that to them. hell, sucker punch a dude and run off if he threatens to call the cops or some shit, you get your rp and he gets a new hook to have a little rp with too rather than him threatening to call the cops and then someone just shooting him down to avoid it happening and the RP pretty much ending there with 1 player laughing at the other for getting shit on and that player now being salty asf cause he died over something stupid.

it's easy to have the copout argument of "lol its his fault if he didnt wanna die shouldn't have said that" which yes, we all agree that's true but it's the same concept of anything else like this. focus on the action and the roleplay drops in quality. racing rp, if all you do is race, it's fucking lame and often has shit rp standards. gang rp, if all you do is rob people and get in gunfights it might as well not be rp. cop rp, if all you do is arrest people and get in gunfights it might as well just be lspdfr multiplayer. like. focus on the ROLEPLAY. that same analogy. racing rp, it's far more grounded in reality and authentic when it's a group of friends and you focus on building the group culture and occasionally sprinkle in a race here, a meet there, a little street drifting on the weekends etc. gang rp, it's far more authentic when you just chill in the neighborhood, sell a few drugs here and there, chill with the homies playing the random little games, have some little back yard fighting matches and shit etc. cop rp, far more grounded and higher standard of rp generally when people are focused on the interactions with their suspects, treating them as any other human being, stopping for a smoke break on patrol, or food with the partner etc, training on weekends to make sure your motor functions and skills on the gun will actually save your life etc. all the rpers of merit in any specific scene should naturally agree on that and do that kind of shit already. their roleplay is more nuanced. everytime i've tried gang rp on this server it's always the same shit. there's a few people that actually know what they're doing, theres a ton of trigger happy people that just want action and spam browse calibangin for ideas on how to pretend the rp side of their hunt for dm sprees and beefing with other factions for no real reason looks authentic enough for them to pass as roleplayers. i've had the talk with other gang rpers constantly when i tried shit out to get back into the swing of that and every time its kinda just ignored that people will take *every* chance they get to shoot someone instead of de-escalating and just moving on for the sake of not having to murder someone and bring extra heat for no reason just cause some local didn't understand that he had to put some respect on your character's crippin or die.

just because you can, doesn't mean you should. it's not that complicated. and before this piece is taken and countered with the typical shit - yes, we know some of them push it too far to the point it'll break character NOT to shoot them and guess what? that situation is not the situation in question. we've all been there, i've been there countless times when i used to do gang rp on lsrp back in like 2010. its not on you if they force your hand, but a lot of people have a very VERY low bar for what they consider as having their hand forced into doing something. maybe you should rethink your character and your own thought process. making it purposely easy for your character to have to shoot someone is the same as shooting someone for weak reasons. yeah you're tuff you're a hothead. you're trigger happy, and trigger happy is bad rp. i don't know how that lesson has faded out of people learning to rp but it needs to come back. its easy to spark a gunfight, yeah. but does that gunfight really need to be sparked half the time? not at all. fight and leave or just leave. killing someone for the 5th time cause yall dont like eachother isn't character development. and this goes for every scene and every type of character. everyone has their own version of this that could be written but i'm not about to sit here and go over every point cause there's already too much in this post in the first place lmfao

i'll end with a little clarification though. This does not apply to people that can't accept an L, them getting mad over simple consequences is their own problem but this isn't about those types. That's a whole nother topic of discussion in it's own. my point on this specifically is moreso when people just have shit attitudes and you can literally feel it bleed into the interaction ICly. there's a difference between ic and ooc yes, and maybe i'm jaded from bad experience, but i've never been wrong on my judgements of when someone is just being a dick cause they oocly have no respect for you and dont like you or when it's just the character they're playing. it's usually the delivery, what they say, how their character says it, the actions they take etc. i've had players rob me where they were very aggressive icly but it didn't feel like it was because i was this kind of player or that kind of player, they didn't rush me with some bullshit /b to get me to fork over everything as fast as possible and actually roleplayed with me like i wasn't an npc for them to aim at and give them cash to make them go away. then i've had players who literally accuse me of everything under the sun in /b cause i'm typing and have to read what i have so it takes me a little longer to tell them what they find etc, spamming all sorts of insults ic that dont even make sense and the whole interaction's just sour as fuck. i'm not a person that doesn't like taking Ls in RP, consequences are consequences and if I get caught slipping it's my own damn fault - but it's the interaction with shit players that's the problem and i'm pretty sure that's also the main point/issue of the original post is trying to get THAT to stop as well as getting everyone to be a bit less trigger/action happy and a bit less of that "ree fuck this idiot" tier behavior that a lot of people are too immature to admit they do. someone calls out an issue and then another player from that niche jumps in and starts defending the whole niche like that issue doesnt happen and it's made up in their head, and then the whole fuckin point just gets misinterpreted and ignored lmao. we need less focus on the action part of the roleplay and the actual roleplay and interaction part of the roleplay. it breeds higher standards and more authentic feeling scenarios when you just let shit play out and then carry on rather than ending it right then and there the moment it starts. back in the day on lsrp we've had shit that brewed for entire months without a single massive firefight happening or block wipe or any stupid shit like that. the occasional minor gunfight or driveby sure but nothing insane. that shit was amazing to experience, having shit actually develop, rivalries form that were actually deeper than "oh hes from a different gang though." and im not saying this shit doesn't happen on gtaw, i know it does, i've seen it, but the points in this topic are far far far far far more visible and a problem that we all need to stop attacking the people calling it out and actually work on fixing that shit so we can all just enjoy shit. it's a fuckin roleplay server. we should be here to roleplay and have fun, not to constantly ruin each others days and vie for who can be the biggest cunt to another player lmao. the goofy ass me vs you internet culture bs is old and played out as fuck.

• Applaud 2
45 minutes ago, Gallagher said:

personally i refuse to let shit roleplayers impact my character story. if something terrible and unrealistic happens to my character i roleplay it was a bad dream and focus on more fruitful character development with good roleplayers.

Best way of handling it while it's a problem imo, I do the same though not as a bad dream, I just don't really even acknowledge the trashy encounters unless it can actually add something of substance to the char's dev. smth can be gained from most things but its not always worth it

• alina2137 changed the title to We must stop being shitheads to each other
  • Wuhtah locked this topic