We must stop being shitheads to each other

alina2137

29 minutes ago, Zoinks said:

I agree that there shouldn't be ridiculous escalation, a fist fight should stay a fist fight. In general, shooting should be last resort.

But that being said, people's idea of enjoyment is different. Some people enjoy RPing on a server that recreates a gritty, danger filled way of life. Some people enjoy running a business and dealing with the complexities of that. Some people enjoy roleplaying a career that they don't do IRL. Some people enjoy all of the above, or none of the above. There's no way that every interaction on a server with 600+ people is going to be fun for every single player. That's asking for the impossible imo. 

On the one hand, criminal RPers should take the time to think up a more fun way of intimidating someone without resorting to a bullet. But on the flip side of that, civilians and/or less powerful criminals should roleplay responding to that too. As someone that leads an illegal based faction, you have no idea how many times i've tried to keep intimidation and escalation fun for everyone involved and the "victim" very often continues to RP without lack of fear or barely any response because they know their character isn't going to get PKed or CKed. 

Long story short, if people want escalation to improve, they also need to be willing to respond to other types of conflict and showing fear in response to them. It's a two-way street where instigator and victim need to work together to craft an interesting storyline rather than trying to come out on top as the most gangster. 

This is an excellent way to put it.

• Thanks 1
On 7/18/2022 at 11:12 PM, Zoinks said:

I agree that there shouldn't be ridiculous escalation, a fist fight should stay a fist fight. In general, shooting should be last resort.

You're legally allowed to use a gun on someone if you have cause to fear for your life. Even if they're only armed with their fists. Being stomped into a coma is no more healthy than being stabbed.

22 hours ago, Cocaine Capital said:

It ruins experience and immersion. 

This city has a crime rate that's 4000 times higher than Los Angeles'. How is it unimmersive to jump the gun? It's the result of IC actions. Civilians fear for their life, so they escalate.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
19 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

You're legally allowed to use a gun on someone if you have cause to fear for your life. Even if they're only armed with their fists. Being stomped into a coma is no more healthy than being stabbed.

Well of course, goes without saying that any type of serious harm is bad whether its with fists or a knife or a bullet. But I think you missed the point and took it a little too literal within the context of this discussion. 
Hence the second part of that paragraph where I say that "shooting should be a last resort" - e.g. fearing for your life. 

Someone getting into a harmless drunk brawl at a bar or using a fight to knock out some frustrations shouldn't always end in a dead body tho, just like it doesn't irl. Think most of the world would be dead if every heated conflict turned into a shoot out based off of "fear of life". 

11 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

A what now? What do you think happens when you get punched in the head and get knocked out? That shit ain't harmless. Better to go in the back of a cop car than in a bodybag.

Now you're just nit-picking and I'm not even entirely sure what point it is you're trying to make. Not too sure if we agree or not so let's leave it at that - my point from my first post still stands. 

Person A insulting Person B, and Person B resorting to violence by instigating a fight with A, and then one of them pulling a gun over an insult is petty as hell. The only situation I can justify this is in gang culture where it's mostly immature teens who do behave recklessly and are more prone to using a gun. 

5 minutes ago, Zoinks said:

and I'm not even entirely sure what point it is you're trying to make

You're entirely allowed to use a gun in self defence if you have reason to believe the other party is trying to do you deadly harm. The stuff you're saying only applies when your firearm is obtained illegally.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
Just now, pateuvasiliu said:

You're entirely allowed to use a gun in self defence if you have reason to believe the other party is trying to do you deadly harm. The stuff you're saying only applies when your firearm is obtained illegally.

I don't think you've read the OP - the entire point of this discussion thread was to say "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

This isn't about never using a gun. OP is trying to tackle the problem of those who DM and use their gun for everything rather than being more creative with it. That's it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Applaud 1

It's how people have been on RP servers on GTA since their inception, if anything, GTAW is doing pretty friendly to civilians.  Some people will always try to justify erratic behavior or borderline trolling through half-assed development excuses and that's unavoidable and it's always been this way and I'm willing to wager regardless of how much you try to weed them out there's still gonna be a few bad apples.

But good rules of thumb are to stay out of gang ridden areas and you'll probably not be fucked with, guess that applies to real life too.

Edited by Rinkk
  • Upvote 1
  • alina2137 changed the title to We must stop being shitheads to each other
  • Wuhtah locked this topic