Charging minors with every crime as an adult?

Narco

29 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

If you put harsher sentences players will immediately NC as soon as they're jailed (most already do), and jail will still be dead. That and you'll have people starting to complain about having to spend such a long time in jail for something they did IC, being forced to rp somewhere they don't want to etc and then they'll complain and complain and complain to get it reversed for them to not rp in jail anyway. Fix the community mentality towards jail, encourage roleplay there. Make it more appealing than taking a 30 minute ajail, nc or ck after a shootout with cops.

Harsher punishments will increase number of people that have 30 criminal points which means that they cannot NC till their case is over if I'm correct. So you'll definitely see more characters in there that are waiting for their case to be concluded. This will also mean more COs on because they'll have finally something to do even if they are in a different time zone.

And I definitely agree that the current jail isn't the best environment but as far as I know, prison is in works so that should definitely improve the situation and make it more appealing for people to roleplay there.

And let the players complain, you have to expect consequences for your actions on a heavy roleplay server. This is not a team deathmatch server (yet). If they don't want to spend that much time in prison maybe they should focus on more passive roleplay and character development. Harsher sentences will solve the jail activity but also the unrealistic escalations since players will be afraid to commit crime. It's honestly a win-win situation. We don't really need the players that will complain about it since it's clear that they just want to keep on deathmatching people with no consequences and don't care about character development at all.

• Upvote 1

I dont think we should shoot for 1:1 realism on this. The majority of (M) characters I've interacted with are essentially roleplayed like hardened adults, so let's give them the hardened results. If we don't there's just going to be more salt. 🙃

1 hour ago, Moonsong said:

If you put harsher sentences players will immediately NC as soon as they're jailed (most already do), and jail will still be dead. That and you'll have people starting to complain about having to spend such a long time in jail for something they did IC, being forced to rp somewhere they don't want to etc and then they'll complain and complain and complain to get it reversed for them to not rp in jail anyway. Fix the community mentality towards jail, encourage roleplay there. Make it more appealing than taking a 30 minute ajail, nc or ck after a shootout with cops.

The ones that won't NC will stay and roleplay. The ones that do? Who cares, they NC, anyways. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Moonsong said:

If you put harsher sentences players will immediately NC as soon as they're jailed (most already do), and jail will still be dead. 

Not allowing NC when the char is in jail and stop the timer when offline/changechar would fix all those problems.

People don't give a f*** because they can NC or play with an alt while their main char timer still ticking without playing it.

• Upvote 2

I agree with increasing sentences, I agree with incentivizing Jail/Prison RP (At least when the Prison gets added). I don't think this will get people to stop making new character or just hopping on alts. There needs to be a way to stop the OOC mentality of people who want to do nothing but do violent gangster RP. People who want to do nothing but hold up stores or blast other players will continue to do that ad nauseum and will just pump out more and more alts. There needs to be some kind of measure in place that actively punishes players for dodging prison/jail sentences.

34 minutes ago, Jennie said:

Not allowing NC when the char is in jail and stop the timer when offline/changechar would fix all those problems.

People don't give a f*** because they can NC or play with an alt while their main char timer still ticking without playing it.

From what I recall, staff have always been against banning NCs on a character that's in jail, but I'd absolutely support it. I don't think it'd fix all the issues by a LONG shot but it would ensure that detective, LEO's and even the 'victims' time isn't utterly wasted after a court case is over with. Criminal characters absolutely should reap what they sow, just as much as legal characters have to deal with the consequences of their crimes.

For problems to actually be fixed, community mentality in general towards crime and how it's approached has to radically change to make any difference in the long run. Else it's just gonna be more of the same shit. You want criminal activity to be supported with scripts and management? By all means, but there needs to be consequences that can't be avoided. Risk vs reward.

Edited by Moonsong
4 hours ago, Moonsong said:

From what I recall, staff have always been against banning NCs on a character that's in jail, but I'd absolutely support it. I don't think it'd fix all the issues by a LONG shot but it would ensure that detective, LEO's and even the 'victims' time isn't utterly wasted after a court case is over with. Criminal characters absolutely should reap what they sow, just as much as legal characters have to deal with the consequences of their crimes.

For problems to actually be fixed, community mentality in general towards crime and how it's approached has to radically change to make any difference in the long run. Else it's just gonna be more of the same shit. You want criminal activity to be supported with scripts and management? By all means, but there needs to be consequences that can't be avoided. Risk vs reward.

I mean they already ban name changes for the duration of the court case for that very reason, so I don't see why it should be any different during the jail sentence. The victim at least gets a temporary reprieve. I suppose the issue then comes to the quality of life in jail for those who actually do enjoy jail RP.

The first thing you will see these people complain about is being forced to role play in jail and that its an OOC punishment to be forced to play in jail. These are the first people, if forced, who will troll or AFK or type the same shit in jail because they just don't want to be there. This ruins the experience for people who actually enjoy jail. So, its a double-edged sword. Force people to go RP the jail time (online or offline) and end up with a bunch of trolls unless management is willing to take a hard line and punish them harshly for doing so? Leave it as is and you end up with people who have NO concept of fear of going to jail because they can just NC and start over.

As you said, it's a mentality problem. A lot of criminals want all the benefits but none of the drawbacks. I wish I could pull that card when I'm getting robbed or my business is being set on fire. "I don't enjoy this RP or that RP, so I shouldn't have to deal with it because it's not fun". I'd get laughed out of the server with that attitude. Not sure why the mentality seems to be (often, not always) that they can just commit all these crimes and not expect to take part in any of the IC consequences for it. Everyone else has to, so why is this any different?

Edited by Brofessor
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 2
3 hours ago, Brofessor said:

The first thing you will see these people complain about is being forced to role play in jail and that its an OOC punishment to be forced to play in jail. These are the first people, if forced, who will troll or AFK or type the same shit in jail because they just don't want to be there. This ruins the experience for people who actually enjoy jail. So, its a double-edged sword. Force people to go RP the jail time (online or offline) and end up with a bunch of trolls unless management is willing to take a hard line and punish them harshly for doing so? Leave it as is and you end up with people who have NO concept of fear of going to jail because they can just NC and start over.

As you said, it's a mentality problem. A lot of criminals want all the benefits but none of the drawbacks. I wish I could pull that card when I'm getting robbed or my business is being set on fire. "I don't enjoy this RP or that RP, so I shouldn't have to deal with it because it's not fun". I'd get laughed out of the server with that attitude. Not sure why the mentality seems to be (often, not always) that they can just commit all these crimes and not expect to take part in any of the IC consequences for it. Everyone else has to, so why is this any different?

Thanks for wording perfectly whats on my mind. Now please stop reading my mind! *Puts on tinfoil hat*

• Upvote 1
On 7/14/2022 at 1:32 PM, Jennie said:

True lol, but there’s always a work around . Like let’s say you have to be on your account that is jailed for the time to go down, there’s a way to have you look like you are typing active in game without hitting enter you’re just spamming the same letter in chat box , without pressing enter and yeah people have done this on other servers when they were forced to be on their account . You don’t even have to be on the keyboard to do this trick .  You can be afk and leave your home lol to do errands and come back lol

• Wuhtah locked this topic