[Discussion] Taxi jobs and how they are used.

Lilypad

3 hours ago, Lilypad said:

If we were to implement something such as an Uber do you have any thoughts on the best way of going about doing so? Anything we could develop to accompany it, anything we could change from how things currently work? I think you're right to move forward with the times and Uber is definitely a good way to go - even if we renamed it to something else. 

I think just allowing people to use the Taxi script in normal cars and but still create an expectation of realism. Like people shouldn't be doing Ubers in a Coquette. But I thyinkt the issue is more complex that just Fixveh if you remove /fixveh people just change their behavior so when they spawn their car will actually be accessible without it. The issue I think is the access to rental in the early game as well as how cheap cars are. 3 hours of playing I can get 15k and buy a Radius which is a pretty decent four door car. Also instead of /fixveh people will just change their spawn to their houses where there cars are anyways. Taxis on most RP servers are only really useful for 

5 hours ago, Xaleya said:

Fixveh should only work within the vicinity, like 30 meters around you or so.

This is a great idea. I would consider 1 exception for bikes since people transport them.

For a quasi-uber, maybe just make it so anyone can act as a taxi in a personally owned vehicle rather than restricted to a taxi.

Fixveh should not be removed as it will add additional reports. With the suggestion above that will mitigate abuse.

Edited by oliviarav3n
6 hours ago, mj2002 said:

Pretty much this. Its used as a teleport for their vehicle. This abuse is massive and everyone knows it. Instead, it should be used to flip vehicles that are bugged or spawned under another vehicle. So fixveh should only work if your vehicle is within visual range. Otherwise, use /report.

PREACH. 

With that being said, nerfing or removing /fixveh would be lovely. Also, implementing something with the rental from airports would be cool as well, forcing people into some interaction with a player instead of just getting a car from the start would help a bit and provide more of an immersive experience. Just my opinion.

As most of you know i've RP'd taxi mens since 2017.

The two biggest challenges facing the taxi industry are a lack of calls and cowboy drivers.

Lack of calls:

The lack of calls lately is shocking. The other day at peak time 600 players + we were getting about 1 or 2 calls every hour.  That is not enough to sustain just one driver, let alone sustain an entire company. If there are no calls coming in, people aren't going to want to RP as taxi drivers meaning taxi companies will die, and the few calls that do come in will go unanswered compounding the problem. 

Why are there a lack of calls? People abuse /fixveh and /changecharacter. We all know it, we ALL see it where cars spawn for a second or two then TP away. 

Cowboy Drivers:

There's been an increase lately of people, not naming names but you know who you are, charging outrageous and extermination prices and then getting aggressive when customers complain. I've always charged the follow, $300 for trips in LS, $500 to Sandy, $750 to Paleto and $200 for each additional stop. That equates to a taxi costing about the same price as 2 or 3 beers in a bar. Take a taxi across your city IRL, it'll probably cost you about 2 or 3 beers. I don't know how to combat this unless the FARE SYSTEM was hard coded on DISTANCE and was set by the city (admins) so all taxis charge the same. Most cities in the world all taxi's are regulated on their meters and they can't be altered unless you agree a price before hand.

To address the people screaming for Uber and to say our system is antiquated.. our system IS UBER. People call a taxi on an app using /ph and their exact location gets pinged to the driver and then the customers "set their destination" on their map when they get in, The only difference is we can only taxi in 3 vehicles, aside from that it's exactly the same. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Late said:

To address the people screaming for Uber and to say our system is antiquated.. our system IS UBER. People call a taxi on an app using /ph and their exact location gets pinged to the driver and then the customers "set their destination" on their map when they get in, The only difference is we can only taxi in 3 vehicles, aside from that it's exactly the same. 

With Uber, I know the cost before even the driver arrive (in my country, at least) With taxi, we can get robbed legally.

Just now, varthshenon said:

With Uber, I know the cost before even the driver arrive (in my country, at least) With taxi, we can get robbed legally.

That's why I suggested a hard coded fare system that can't be changed by the driver to rip you off, you'd have a general rough idea of how much it's going to cost. 

The problem with removing fixveh (or even nerfing it) is that it either increases the number of pointless reports, or it increases the number of non-IC interactions we're forced into. Accidentally spawned at the wrong place and away from your car due to a restart or accidental misclick? Too bad. "Yes, please take me to my car that I abandoned in the middle of the road for no reason, this is a very IC thing that totally happened."

On my clubbier and drinkier characters, I call cabs, sometimes twice per outing, once to get home from the club or wherever she ended the night at, and then again the next day to go grab her car from wherever she left it parked. At some times of day, there's no cabs. And then its such a crapshoot on what kind of driver you'll get. Will I RP with an actual character, will I be charged thousands for a non-interactive ride to the next neighborhood over, or charged slightly less because they're doing 90mph through Downtown?

Just give people a Health Point bonus for catching a cab. That's how they did it with drugs.

12 hours ago, Xaleya said:

I've had situations that involved my vehicle being spawned half-way across the map directly after a server-restart, despite riding it to the location where my character was spawned. I wouldn't want to sprint half-way across the map to use the command.

OOC bugs aren't just "flip-veh" situations etc...

16 hours ago, Xaleya said:

Restrict the X and Y axis, but leave an unlimited Z axis for vehicles stuck either too far up or into the ground.

15 hours ago, TotalDeeJay said:

If there was a "dispatch" system which offered the taxi fare to the nearest driver, rather then the drivers who can type the fastest, this could work. If it not accepted within a certain time, it is moved to the next driver 

This taxi dispatch system could work if it is done automatically.

4 hours ago, DLimit said:

I've had situations that involved my vehicle being spawned half-way across the map directly after a server-restart, despite riding it to the location where my character was spawned. I wouldn't want to sprint half-way across the map to use the command.

OOC bugs aren't just "flip-veh" situations etc...

You can use /report for these situations though. This was fine when /fixveh didn't allow for free teleports. Maybe it is easier now, but consider that this has negative implications for roleplay. The trade off for convenience vs abuse isn't worth it.