To snitch or not to snitch?

Olivia

4 minutes ago, Trupiano said:

What’s your evidence?

because the literal definition of “Snitching” is “to inform on someone”. 

Ya’ll are only arguing these semantics because you know admitting it’s snitching would immediately invalidate your argument. 

"He shot someone" isn't snitching.

"John Doe driving XXX123 from X gang has performed this shooting and two others in the same area together with Jane Doe and John Do. They hang out at X street, here's CCTV footage from all 3 incidents"

That's enough info to land all 3 in jail for at least an hour, that's snitching.

Calling 911 can give you a response time of 10 seconds or 10 hours. Doesn't mean you snitch. Criminals should learn to do their stuff more quietly.

5 minutes ago, Coburn said:

"He shot someone" isn't snitching.

"John Doe driving XXX123 from X gang has performed this shooting and two others in the same area together with Jane Doe and John Do. They hang out at X street, here's CCTV footage from all 3 incidents"

That's enough info to land all 3 in jail for at least an hour, that's snitching.

Calling 911 can give you a response time of 10 seconds or 10 hours. Doesn't mean you snitch. Criminals should learn to do their stuff more quietly.

My dude your just describing the difference between regular snitching and dry snitching. 

Like I said the literal definition when you look up “snitching” on google is “to inform on someone”. This isn’t a matter of personal opinion, this a fact well established by the fucking dictionary. 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Trupiano said:

This type of mentality is actually fucking hilarious because it shows either your just blindly lying to help your point or your so out of touch with reality that you actually think that's how the real world works. Here's a 2007 Nation Gang Center Bulletin on how gangs intimidate witnesses. In it, the author (A Assistant District Attorney from California) writes that it very much is an issue and happens constantly. Gang members do go after witnesses, they do go after jury members. There's a reason the justice system goes to such lengths to protect both groups and their identities. There is a very real threat to their safety. There is something valid to say about the amount of murders that happen on the server but, that can be counter by the fact murders/shootings are becoming a more common occurrence IRL anyways. More and more as established hierarchical gangs like gangster Disciples and traditional Bloods/Crip gangs have been targeted by law enforcement, the void that has been left is commonly filled by younger, more violent and less discipled gang members. 

That's all pretty pointless information though because if you just resist the urge to snitch or act like a cocky asshole 9/10 you'll be fine. It's hilarious that you think people actually stop and consider their "civic duty" and the fact that they might face legal consequences for not calling 911. Buddy, people are far more worried about getting their teeth kicked in in those situation then if the cops are gonna be upset they didn't call lmao. That's why all these CK's stand, people endlessly complain that the city is a warzone and then turn around and can not resist the urge to call the police.

You can disagree with me all you want, I don't mind but there's absolutely no need to be so obnoxious and hostile whilst doing so. An article from 15 years ago is hardly relevant anymore. Again this is a supposedly civilized Western city not a lawless state.

Believe it or not some people actually do just want to live normal, law abiding lives and whilst most will certainly put the safety of themselves and their families first, they won't want to cop jail for covering for dangerous groups. That's why witness protection programs exist, they even exist in-game although they're used much more sparingly.

But honestly it seems like you're trying to blow things completely out of proportion so you can bring up irrelevant and outdated information to justify blatant dm. If someone calls cops infront of people who just committed a crime, they got what's coming to them. If they do it when they reasonably believe their out of line of sight and earshot, it's not reason to gun someone down in the middle of a busy parking lot. Whether or not it happens in real life is irrelevant, why? IT'S A GAME. Being shot everytime you legitimately call the police, whether you're a victim or a witness trying to save someone's life by doing so, or so they don't end up next completely saps any fun out of it. It goes two ways, whether you like it or not. I'll ask you politely, to tone it down a bit. I've done nothing other than disagree with you.

Edited by Moonsong
  • Upvote 2

Definition of snitch (Entry 1 of 3)

: one who snitches : TATTLETALE
snitch verb (1)
snitched; snitching; snitches
: INFORM (see below), TATTLE

Definition of inform on/against

: to give information about the secret or criminal activity of (someone) to the police

Calling 911 because you just witnessed a crime in front of you, isn't Snitching.
8 hours ago, Trupiano said:

My last paragraph is directed towards people like you, I suggest you read it. 

Most of my posts are directed towards people like you, I also suggest you read them.

DM is well defined in the rules and that ain’t it buddy. 

Yes, it is. People just don't bother to report it. If they added rules against looting someone you just shot, you think they're gonna let you stick around and kill MORE people?

You can argue semantics all you want, having knowledge about criminal activity and reporting it to the police is snitching

No, it isn't. Snitching comes from a position of betrayal. Some dude reporting a body on the street isn't a snitch.

I'm severely worried that you are so confidently wrong.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
9 hours ago, Trupiano said:

Well documented information about gangs is hard to come by, especially up to date information. Gangs/Gang crime was a huge target of law enforcement in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Not just for prosecution but for gathering information for bulletins like the one I linked. But something happened here in the US around September 2001 and the peoples priorities shifted drastically. The people that were dedicated to compiling this type of information to teach law enforcement and the public about these issues  were forced to switch their priorities to focus to Counter Terrorism. 

There is some information out there like what I linked, but sadly far more common the information we receive is specific to certain cases and not a outline of overall gang behavior. Additionally gangs have changed as I mentioned in the reply you quoted. It seems like peoples understanding of gangs is tied primarily to the 80's and 90's when street gangs were increasingly hierarchical, people color banged and using a gun was the last resort. This was times when street gangs like the Gangster Disciples controlled entire parts of the country. That's not the times we live in or the times we are RPing. 

Today, in 2022 gangs are fragmented, small ultra violent groups. Its actually one of the reasons it's so hard to find in depth credible information's about modern street gangs. These groups don't seem to follow the same type of logic that people keep demonstrating on this thread. A modern 18 year old gangbanger is not thinking about the "heat" they'll receive if they attack you, what they think about is how they'll look weak if they don't. 

On the point we agree on, that's where I see this issue stemming from. Extortion CK's are different but for the majority of snitching CK's/retribution, your disregarding your characters life. It's a robotic mentality, I am a civilian so I do not commit crime, if I see a crime being committed I must report it or I'll have committed a crime. No one IRL thinks this way in these situations, no one is putting their "civic duty" over their own personal safety. That's laughable and you should be laughed at if you think that way. 

The only solution to this problem is two parted. 1. IFM needs to tell faction leaders to have their guys chill a little, that IFM expects less rushes towards murder and 2. Legal RPers need stop disregarding their characters life because of some OOC grunge against crime. This not some perfect world RP server where criminals get to do what they want, civi's get to do what they want and no one has to interact with each other unless they want too. GTAW is a realistic, gritty, dark interpretation of Southern California and all it has to offer, good and bad.

Hello.

2010 study https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-library/abstracts/intimidation-and-street-gangs-understanding-response-victims-and

Also if you cannot find any up to date and outline of overall gang behavior statistics and information.. why are you then saying that today in 2022, gangs are small and ultra violent? What is this based on?

You also have no idea how people react irl to crimes happening, everyone acts differently. Some record, some call the police, others just ignore it. Some shoot.

You need to breathe, calm down and remember you're not a gangbanger irl.

9 hours ago, Trupiano said:

Until people like you get over their OOC foaming at the mouth at crime on the server

People want to play in an environment that at least PRETENDS to be realistic. The server's factions emulate real life organisations. The civilian population has been kept around as cattle to be raised and slaughtered at the fun of anyone who has 20,000 $ for a gun and a dirtbike, because the Staff refuses to pass laws that would allow them to arm themselves legally ( God forbid civilians own legal firearms in America, gotta keep them nice and vulnerable to be robbed and kidnapped ).

And as a consequence of this, civilian roleplay is almost entirely interior based so that they can avoid the extremely entertaining 'roleplay' of getting robbed by a 16 year old who owns a Dodge Charger and somehow has the skill to drive at 120 mph for half an hour as he runs from cops.

If you think that's normal or a good roleplaying environment that tells a hell of a lot more about you than it does about legal roleplayers. Our crime rate is sky high and yet there are no IC or OOC measures being put in place to stop 15 year olds going on daily drive bys 4 deep.

Edited by pateuvasiliu

Despite what many on this thread seem to think, not all criminals are alike and will react the same to some random civilian calling the cops on them. Street gangs aren’t even remotely comparable to organized crime and gangbangers are mostly young, bold, and could overall give a shit less about the law. Are some criminals and gang members intelligent and calculated? Yes. But saying “it’s not realistic to do this” or “a gang member wouldn’t shoot a civilian for snitching on then” is blatantly ridiculous because the mindset varies from person to person and set to set. If you think a sixteen year old Crip or a methed up skinhead could give half a shit about crime rates or the fact you’re a law abiding citizen, you aren’t thinking about it right. 

• UTOPIA locked this topic