To snitch or not to snitch?

Olivia

1 hour ago, Baguette said:

Honestly I call the cops as much as I can to piss off the criminals, to see if they're going to take responsibility for being criminals, sometimes I wonder if we're in the land of Pablo Escobar or in the US with all these guys shooting/killing for shitty reasons

lmao pipe down its a game

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Kucheras said:

you should roleplay knowing that it’s a common occurrence in our city of Los santos to get killed for calling the police. Your character doesn’t NEED to call the police, you can just walk away. 

This isn't Night City. Or at least it shouldn't be. In Real life someone's not going to risk murder charges just to kill a dude that called 991 to report a crime done in plain view.

And if you ask us to take this IC then there is no logical explanation as to why we don't have cameras on every intersection and facial recognition. You can't have it both ways.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
12 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

This isn't Night City. Or at least it shouldn't be. In Real life someone's not going to risk murder charges just to kill a dude that called 991 to report a crime done in plain view.

And if you ask us to take this IC then there is no logical explanation as to why we don't have cameras on every intersection and facial recognition. You can't have it both ways.

This is also very true, many people can't seem to understand that their actions are ridiculous and not worth it. Murder is a serious crime, some people act here as if it's the most normal thing like doing groceries or smth haha. But yeah you wouldn't want to draw more attention. And for what reason? I don't see how murdering a person that called 991 is much beneficial in any way, it only gets you in possible more trouble unless it's like a snitch that's literally deep inside your roots and about to unfold your whole organization, that's another story.

Ain't criminals doing it mostly for the money aka business? Shooting every person here and there is bad for business and some seem to forget that. I know it's a videogame and we like action now and  then but keep it a bit realistic.

34 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

The bottom one is a losing fight all around, no ones going to go to that extent because it "impacts fun", but we'll complain all  day about the circumstances behind it. There's been more murders in jail in the 6 months of this year than there has been in the last *decade* irl, but we can't lockdown for more than 6 hours without people getting up in arms and folks just letting people out of their cells ignoring it.

Depends, if the snitching is done out of OOC spite, which unfortunately tends to happen? Then no, not worth it. Now if you're snitching to get out of prison time, like many Mafia members did in the 80s-90s with their RICO Indictments, or to protect their families, it's fine imo.

Edited by nelsondx

Just wanted to chime in here on this thread after having read all the way through this one and the unrealistic escalations one. For brief context my character is an older ex-convict back in his home town and I’m seeing where his story goes. Currently he has a legal job, but lives down in the hood and is not immune from getting sucked back in to the criminal life.

There’s an element of this conversation around “escalation” that is not being articulated correctly by either side. In my experience thus far, at least as an independent roleplayer dealing with other criminals, there is very little realistic “escalation.” Escalation implies there are levels, steps, or a gradual increase in something. In our RP reality whenever something negatively impacts a criminal character, it currently looks like this -

https://i.imgflip.com/6l426l.jpg

Or this

https://i.imgflip.com/6l42ie.jpg

This is the reality of the criminal world as it stands on GTA:W, at least down in the ‘hood. As a brand-new player, the conversations around the “play to win” mentality, the (M)urderers on every block, and the four-deep masked players in sports cars really hit home for me. Don’t get me wrong, I have had a ton of great experience when my character has ended up somewhere outside of south central and south east los santos, both on the legal and illegal side. There are some really solid RPers out there, but in my opinion? Street Gang RP here is like the McDonald’s of roleplay – fast, cheap, and barely passable. It is suuuuper stagnant, unoriginal, and consistently wastes legitimately good roleplaying opportunities.

Rancho, Davis, Strawberry, Chamberlain Hills… All of them are amazing, gritty areas to roleplay in but they’re nearly uninhabitable right now. Not to ‘dis anyone or any staff in particular but how is it that the illegal faction management has “motorcycle clubs” and “Italian mafia” listed as currently restricted faction concepts, but we allow new surenos/crips/bloods to open each and every week? And IFM might be off the hook a little here because why do we have so many players who WANT to recycle the same tired gangs over and over. How is it you wake up one day and think, “I want to make a faction… We’re going to be surenos. But we’ll be better than the other 9 sureno factions because we’re going to do realistic ‘hood roleplay literally one block over! It’ll be great!” They then proceed to create yet ANOTHER fake Wikipedia page style thread, log in on a (M) character, spend a few days roleplaying tagging, do some extremely cheap” /me gets accustomed to the hood life and is now fully immersed and would kill for his gang” and then spend their days warring with the 8 other sureno or crip sets surrounding them. It is really corny.

I think that’s where we are running into a lot of these issues with unrealistic escalations and dealing with “snitches.” There's a reason a lot of players on here are reporting very similar interactions with criminal RPers. There are very few actual characters down in the hood. The grand majority I have come across are mindless drones looking for an excuse to kill or rob as opposed to crafting any kind of story. They might as well stand in a T-pose on their block until one of their faction leaders sounds the drums of war. I can probably guarantee anyone claiming to roleplay the crazed, uneducated, violent criminal did little to no roleplay leading up to that point. I also bet they’re doing nothing to keep that story and character consistent. They suddenly don’t have crazed anger issues or mental illness when it will impact them negatively. They don’t irrationally mouth off to their faction leader or to someone else in prison. The drugs impacting their mental state only seem to come out conveniently right before a gun fight, but never in any other roleplay setting. All the “realistic hood RP” these groups claim to be providing amounts to them wiping the block of any character that isn’t an exact carbon copy that fits their group. There are no individual motivations, no individual goals, no character or world building, nothing outside of mindless gang violence 24/7 -

image.jpeg.ea07a04cc1c00b4026a9adfcbc957988.jpeg

As many have pointed out, yes absolutely people who report criminals to the cops get assaulted or killed but it is rarely if ever escalated in a realistic manner. I bet you in the vast majority of those real life situations there was at least some kind of lead up. If my character ends up being witnessed committing a crime, I would relish the RP opportunity. What if I stalk this civilian for a bit? See where he works or lives? Strike up a conversation about what he saw. Maybe he’s not receptive to recanting his statements and so I try a little bribery. He doesn’t accept, so I find out he works at a store I can steal from or vandalize. Or maybe I’ll get some friends to come intimidate him. Or maybe I can steal his car? Leave a threatening note on his door? Scare him a little? He’s still not receptive so then I resort to non-lethal violence and we see where it goes from there. I bet you there are few civilian roleplayers in this thread who would truly be upset with well RP’d criminality somewhere along these lines. It adds a unique dynamic and back-and-forth for both parties, and it gives us a chance to stretch our creativity and see where our characters go.

At the end of the day I feel like we as players have some power in this situation. I feel like we really need encourage refreshing and original criminal organizations and

concepts, especially at the street level. Regurgitating the same old gangs and gang RP is actively driving interest away from those areas. It’s also important to have discussions like these and make sure the faction management team and admins know what we want. At the end of the day we would all be served better if we remember roleplaying is about storytelling and development. It’s a marathon, not a sprint, and the server policy and regulations should reflect that at every possible stop.

Thanks for reading my novella here, for those that did...

• Upvote 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Applaud 6
1 hour ago, pateuvasiliu said:

1 hour ago, LeNova said:

This is also very true, many people can't seem to understand that their actions are ridiculous and not worth it. Murder is a serious crime, some people act here as if it's the most normal thing like doing groceries or smth haha.

Ya'll are letting your backgrounds show a little lmao

People get shot and killed over nothing in the US all the time dude. You get shot and killed for posting the wrong shit on Instagram. People get killed for rear-ending someone or flipping them off in traffic.

DM rules actually /restrict/ a lot of situations that would get you killed in real life. Ya'll should count yourselves lucky tbh.

OT: Civilians aren't snitches unless they're actively working with the police. Calling 911 isn't snitching unless you know the offender.

Edited by NickyW

You become a snitch if you call the police on someone you know that knows you.

Some random person calling the police because you're robbing a dude in the streets? Not a snitch. That's your fault for being dumb.

Your friend calling the police on you because he knows you deal dope? Snitch.

• UTOPIA locked this topic