To snitch or not to snitch?

Olivia

11 minutes ago, Steeled said:

Honestly? People just use the term "snitch" as a way to just escalate things and give a reason for themselves to go trigger-happy.

Citizens or not, it doesn't matter. I've been called a snitch as an on-duty lifeguard for requesting a rescue ambulance unit to transport a patient because a group were pressing us and kept interrupting rofl.

7 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

If you commit a crime against a civilian, and they call the cops on you - that does not make them a snitch. It makes them a reasonable member of society.

It’s ridiculous the amount of times I’ve seen reports closed with no action taken where people knowingly commit crime without concealing their identity, then kill their victims and leave them in the middle of nowhere because “they could’ve ID’d them to the cops”….. lol 😂😂 

Edited by Brofessor
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Brofessor said:

The amount of times I’ve seen reports closed with no action taken where people knowingly commit crime without concealing their identity, then kill their victims because “they could’ve ID’d them to the cops”….. lol 😂😂 

Look at this guy thinking admins are infallible 😂😂

Doesn't make them right, man. It is a ridiculous prospect to know that the people who manage this server have that line of thinking

Edited by SaintBatemanofWallStreet
1 minute ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Look at this guy thinking admins are infallible 😂😂

Doesn't make them right, man.

No I was agreeing with you and saying it’s ridiculous. Maybe I didn’t write it correctly lol. Edited for clarification. Long day 😂

Edited by Brofessor
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, oliviarav3n said:

Can a civilian be considered a "snitch?" If so, when?

Yes, anyone who brings law enforcement attention on to a situation, person or group directly or indirectly is a snitch. Any action that leads to this is snitching/dry snitching (Snitching indirectly)

Does calling fire / ambulance also fall into this territory?

Depends, by calling for EMS/fire in the US you are by default calling 911 and the police. I understand that on the server you can ask for one or both but in real life if you call 911, even if you do not request a police officer, a police officer still might respond to the call. While it's not directly related to "snitching" or the server, this is why we've seen increased reports of people "arriving" at hospitals via private transport IRL.

Do you think gangs targeting these people would bring more "heat" from the police?

Yes, but you make the wrong assumption that IC or IRL criminals really think that through. The vast majority of "criminals" in the US usually suffer from some form of developmental or mental health issues and additionally many suffer from drug addictions, they don't think and act they react. The idea that criminals are for the most part all organized crime super villain's who think every action through ten times over is a myth, it's a fallacy, it's bullshit from the movies and TV. 

Do people take escalations too far sometimes on the server? Absolutely, this is a video game and it's going to happen. You really just gotta suspend your disbelief. But the vast majority of arguments I've seen made against these players both in this thread and your past thread are frankly not valid. 

This "issue" and the people who seem so upset about really seem to be either not from the United States or I guess just never go outside. Because here's what it's like in the real world. In the real world, you keep your mouth shut and your eyes on your own shit. I've had people talk shit to me on the street and I absolutely wanted to talk shit back, but you know? I kept my mouth shut and I kept moving because I don't know who that dude is, I don't know what he's carrying and I don't wanna end up in hospital because I couldn't resist the urge to be cheeky back.

That's getting into escalations so I'll just leave it at this: If you wanna call the cops like a 60 year old retiree, your well within your rights to do so. But those criminal RPers also have the right to seek retribution. It's not their fault because you saw some criminal activity, you make the call you carry the responsibility for snitching. The alternative is just RPing like a realistic adult living in the United States and just minding your business.

Edited by Trupiano

Between 2014-2017 roughly 700 cooperating government witnesses in the US were threatened or assaulted, with 61 murdered. Obviously, crime rates on the server are never going to be one-to-one. Still, an average of 20.3 "snitches" murdered yearly in a population of 329.5 million people is surprisingly low.

There are also three basic classifications of cooperating government witnesses: Civilian witnesses who report crimes that they have no personal involvement in, a victim of a crime, and a member of organized crime informing on their organization. These three basic types of "snitches" all have very different motivating factors for their cooperation. There are also paid informants (the FBI has admitted to dishing out $548 million to their informants in recent years) but since paid informants basically don't exist on this server, we'll just consider the three previously mentioned.

Since 1971, there have been 19,000 families registered for federal witness protection in the US. This statistic excludes states like New York, California, Illinois, Texas, and Connecticut which all have their own programs. If you're in witness protection you've probably got good reasons to fear for you and your family's safety, and yet how many of these "snitches" are murdered? Very, very few.

I think everyone can agree that the "snitches" who are most likely to face retribution are the former members of organized crime informing on their organization. A good example is Whitey Bulger, who, in 2018, was murdered in prison for his years as an FBI informant. Even still, high-profile "snitches" are often left alone. Joseph Massino testified twice for the federal government against an acting New York mob boss in 2011 and remains alive over a decade later. Daniel Hernandez, AKA Tekashi69 testified against Nine Trey Gangster Blood members in 2019 and has been on the street since 2020.

This should go without saying but, murdering people in real life is risky. You could go to prison for the rest of your life. In alot of cases, there's more reason not to take revenge upon a "snitch" than there is to take revenge. Murder of any kind brings all sorts of heat to criminal organizations. When an organization has a lot of open murder cases stacked on them, they tend to weigh that organization down. Open murders contribute to warrents, RICO cases, gang injunctions and anything in between. Being the subject of an open murder investigation is really bad for criminal organizations.

In GTAW however, the risk of you getting caught for murder is pretty damn slim. Murdering informants brings little to no heat whatsoever, so there's basically no IC reason not to kill the "snitch". No one's going to investigate the 60th murder that day. Not to mention, if you do get caught you can be back out on the street in about 15 days so it's not really the end of the world. All of the factors that would deter someone from icing a "snitch" in real life don't exist in GTAW, so we see people acting like it's 1980s Columbia.

Edited by Fancy Toothpaste
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 4

Victim should never be considered as snitch.

Silliest snitch killing I have witnessed was, group of criminals attacking a civilian at place with CCTV. Of course the civilian called cops, because they were beaten up and there was video proof. Cops got their footage and great pictures of all the non-masked attackers, but after week the civilian is killed for "snitching" in gangstyle hit.

I guess they wanted that precious character development in expense of civilian life.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, I agree, the mentality of some of the gangs is ABSOLOUTELY BIZZARE....
I roleplay a legal person, always have since joining(My main character atleast...)

Going to start off with the biker crew as they are who I see doing it the most...
So I worked into a bar, was wearing a headcam as ICLY was riding my bike, sort of a go-pro, a normal everyday thing.
One of the bikers randomly steals the headcam off my head after I told him repeatedly It was off, okay... whatever, getting borderline robbed in a bar, iffy... but okay...
Anyhow, two minutes later I reapproached him told him I was leaving and that I needed my headcamera back, It wasn't his etc as a normal citizen IRL would.
After this he offered me to fight him, I declined but somebody else who was telling him give me it back accepted, they both went into the lane and had a fist fight, OP pulled a knife and stabbed him, he ignored the stab pulled his gun and shot the OP.

Me, as an innocent bystander rang the police, I said some guy just robbed me then shot someone in a lane, THE WHOLEEEE CROWD OF LIKE 10 PPL TURNED ON ME!? I was thinking to myself like TF is going on? Are we roleplaying or are we emotionless robots playing a video game?

anyhow, I was killed minutes later, they hunted me down and killed me on sight as U "snitched"
Bare in mind, This all happened at a public bar, and I'd just refered to him as a bald guy on a bike...

Should be a rule on this, something like "snitch kill baiting" I.e attacking a civilian then killing them for ringing the police as a normal person would.

• Thanks 1

half the time civilians call the police will for example, right outside of the sixes bar where a bunch of very known and very clearly illegal bikers / white factions hang out. If we’re to roleplay everything as you want, you should roleplay knowing that it’s a common occurrence in our city of Los santos to get killed for calling the police. Your character doesn’t NEED to call the police, you can just walk away. 

9/10 times it has nothing to do with portrayal but rather just the OOC player behind a character getting super excited and happy as soon as a character gives them a reason to escalate it, be it a minor thing or something more serious. As soon as you give them a reason (such as snitching) they WILL take that opportunity to have some good ol' "fun" and fuck with you in a way that'll ruin your roleplay experience but not enough to the point where they're breaking the rules. These people are pretty much always forum lawyers and will know how to find the grey areas to accomplish their sense of "fun". So if you "snitch" you can be guaranteed to have them retaliate for it.

Edited by Martyn
  • Upvote 2
  • UTOPIA locked this topic