[SAGOV] From the Office of Minority Leader Sen. Diana Jones

CvRbjh7.png

SENATOR DIANA JONES'S STATEMENT ON THE SCOTUS DECISION TO OVERTURN ROE V. WADE

JUNE 24, 2022

This morning, the United States Supreme Court took the extreme step of overturning Roe v. Wade and ending the constitutionally protected right to an abortion. The decision will have devastating consequences and recklessly endangers the basic autonomy, health and wellbeing of women across the country. In nearly half of U.S. states today, reproductive healthcare decisions no longer rest with women and their doctors but instead exist at the whim of state legislators.

Today we are in a country with fewer rights than we had yesterday. A country where someone can be forced by the state to give birth — even if they do not want to, regardless of risks to their lives and health, and irrespective of the costs. This is a dark moment for our country, but we cannot lose hope. We must each fight back and speak up with everything we have.

Here in Los Santos and in San Andreas, the Democratic Party is actively working to establish and expand abortion access — not just for our community here, but for those in states across the country who now need to cross borders to access basic healthcare. Earlier this month, the Los Santos District Attorney began planning for this day and ensure everyone seeking an abortion in Los Santos is able to receive one.

Make no mistake, this is already one of the most destructive assaults on American rights in modern history — and in issuing this decision the Supreme Court has explicitly indicated a willingness to overturn other rulings protecting contraception access, LGBTQ+ rights and same-sex marriage. We cannot let that happen.

While this announcement is a blow, I remain committed to protecting all reproductive health care options in San Andreas and showing the nation what it means to support the right of women to make reproductive health choices. The San Andreas State Senate currently faces a Republican majority, and while Republican Chairman Jonathan Spencer and President Pro Tempore Adrian Rossi have made their stances clear, I have faith the other Republican senators of the senate to block their attempts at taking women's rights away. 

Instead, I will move to enshrine women's rights to have an abortion in our own state's constitution. Abortion has been a constitutional right for half a decade, and I will fight to keep it that way. My office stands with women. We believe abortion care is health care and we will not stop working to defend these most basic, and truly personal freedoms.

• Upvote 7

Username: ARepublican
Comment: I do hope that you Demonrats will lose bigger next time in the future. You are a dimwit in believing that it takes away women´s rights - you yourself right on this post said, that you can make laws to make abortion the states business and how it is done. And this is exactly HOW it should be - abortion is not in the Constitution. THE END! Stop fucking gaslighting the rulings of the highest court - it is people like you, who bare responsibility for the riots in LS. And at some point, you will get it all back - karma is real. It is quite funny, how dems whine that if the court rulings are in their favor, that "MAJORITY OPINION SHOULD BE RESPECTED AND FOLLOWED", but when it does not suit your asses, you go and try to enflame and get some riots and also I am pretty sure, that you are good with pro-lifers getting assaulted, because that is how you people are - spawn of degeneracy. What you sow you reap 😉

• Thanks 1