Roe V Wade in the context of GTA:W.

Kari

Roe V Wade in the context of GTA:W.  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Zoinks said:

We weren't fine with racism though, as we made it a banned subject to talk about George Floyd. No one is saying never talk about abortions, I  think what they're trying to imply is that it should just be avoided right now.

Your comparing apples and oranges. "Racism" is fine on the server, It's a regular part of life sadly. George Floyd was different, it was catalyst more then it was a theme. It was very clear that there were groups who were going to use it as a chance to troll and groups who were going to use it as a chance to be unRPly hostile and violent. In that context yeah it made sense to make George Floyd a banned topic.

Roe V Wade is completely different, sure it has major effect and is sure to create a massive IRL movement in the coming months but I don't really see how the subject is going to cause problems for the server. To be honest abortion rarely comes up as is and even if it did we're replicating a west coast liberal state, I doubt the characters we're portraying are even immediately effected by this.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Spring Nights said:

It's kind of concerning how many men are giving their takes on is a women's issue. As a woman it is a deeply tough issue for me.

It goes to show how inclusive the GTAW community still is to women, I feel men shouldn't be voicing their opinion on an issue that doesn't effect their bodies and mental health.

This conversation is about the right to mention the ruling ICly, yet you're victimizing yourself. I think the overwhelming majority of us would be of the same opinion you are. Let's not make this topic about anything other than why we should be allowed to talk about this very historic supreme court ruling that happened today. 

• Upvote 6
6 minutes ago, H04X said:

If you have an issue with how my faction is ran, you're free to discuss it with me in private at H04X#1419 or in forum PMs.

You of all people should know that senseless faction bashing doesn't get you far. Having a different opinion is okay, but don't turn it into blind attacks. 

Ok this isn’t blind, senseless or any other buzz word. It’s called criticism. This thread is about abortion discussions, you have a bill about abortion, being discussed by a senate. You get to be criticized. 

If that’s faction bashing oh well.

I just don’t see the justification besides the fact LFM seems to have gutted any IC politics by making the senate only discuss major national issues that effect very, very few characters. Abortions aren’t done on this server. They can be, some have been NPC’d but they’re generally not a major source of roleplay.

Crime is. But instead of dealing with the issues San Andreas has, lack of social welfare, lack of public safety, expansion of gang injunctions, a watered down RICO law, fights over government agency budgets, pushing for making certain government agencies improve, investigating IC corruption or mis management.

We have a bill discussing heartbeats when there isn’t even a fetus.

So yeah, there’s an issue. May not be a senate issue originally, there is definitely an LFM issue. Because priorities are out of whack.

If this is faction bashing then call me a faction basher idc.

• Upvote 4

abortion is unimportant in this server, yet it affects many psychologically and physically IRL. if we're going with the trend of censoring sensitive topics, then it makes sense that this ruling should be removed from the IC universe. either that, or remove the entire concept of censoring sensitive topics via continuity, as it makes no sense to enforce it differently.

also never seen so many players that have probably never even used the word "abortion" in-game but are fighting tooth and nail to keep this irrelevant shit in the server at the expense of the players mentioned above.

• Upvote 8
  • Applaud 2
3 minutes ago, Trupiano said:

Your comparing apples and oranges. "Racism" is fine on the server, It's a regular part of life sadly. George Floyd was different, it was catalyst more then it was a theme. It was very clear that there were groups who were going to use it as a chance to troll and groups who were going to use it as a chance to be unRPly hostile and violent. In that context yeah it made sense to make George Floyd a banned topic.

Roe V Wade is completely different, sure it has major effect and is sure to create a massive IRL movement in the coming months but I don't really see how the subject is going to cause problems for the server. To be honest abortion rarely comes up as is and even if it did we're replicating a west coast liberal state, I doubt the characters we're portraying are even immediately effected by this.

I get that, and in any other situation I would be agreeing with you.

But in this one instance, I do think it's a bit tone deaf that the overall response from the community to some people coming to the forums asking for support during a time that is difficult to them is that of, essentially, "get over it". As someone already mentioned, most of which, are men, who will never be effected by this ruling.

I will never be effected by this ruling, but all it takes is a bit of community spirit and empathy to realize that perhaps someone's IRL mental health is more important than whether your fictional, virtual character can discuss abortions or not... 

There's a pretty simple solution to making this work for everyone. Ban it from being discussed in public areas for the time being, but people can discuss it privately as much as they want. Problem solved, no? 

• Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, Late said:

This conversation is about the right to mention the ruling ICly, yet you're victimizing yourself. I think the overwhelming majority of us would be of the same opinion you are. Let's not make this topic about anything other than why we should be allowed to talk about this very historic supreme court ruling that happened today. 

This is literally what I was talking about in my first post. Men trying not to make women's issues about them challenge (IMPOSSIBLE).

7 minutes ago, joshua said:

abortion is unimportant in this server, yet it affects many psychologically and physically IRL. if we're going with the trend of censoring sensitive topics, then it makes sense that this ruling should be removed from the IC universe. either that, or remove the entire concept of censoring sensitive topics via continuity, as it makes no sense to enforce it differently.

also never seen so many players that have probably never even used the word "abortion" in-game but are fighting tooth and nail to keep this irrelevant shit in the server at the expense of the players mentioned above.

THANK YOU! 👏

Edited by Spring Nights
  • Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, Pádraig said:

Idk why draw the line at abortion

we are allowed to talk about flus and pandemics but we're not allowed to rp around covid.

we're allowed to talk about wars and invasions but not the ukraine war.

its not the same as "oh but we allow murder and racism" because general concepts we live with as humans arent the same as making reference to a specific event that concerns a large amount of the playbase. 

• Applaud 1
  • Shanks locked this topic