Remove "good cause" requirement for CCW, following SCOTUS ruling

Kappaurel

1 minute ago, dollar said:

My point has nothing do with PF abuse. I'm stating that this suggestion, if accepted, would increase the amount of people carrying firearms which would then increase the amount of robberies as most people will be armed and in return will earn you a free gun. Your point isn't relevant to what I'm talking about.

Perhaps these same people should consider roleplaying some fear for the fact that people are known to be carrying firearms more frequently due to having easier access to a conceal carry permit. Punish those that fail to roleplay fear and that are targeting people for firearms alone. Why would we limit and punish the victims instead of the perpetrators? 

My point has nothing do with PF abuse. I'm stating that this suggestion, if accepted, would increase the amount of people carrying firearms which would then increase the amount of robberies as most people will be armed and in return will earn you a free gun. Your point isn't relevant to what I'm talking about.

It’s absolutely relevant. We’re not seeing eye to eye here. Moving on 👋

I mean gun access are limited for civilians because generally they're used in quite an odd fashion, the waves of vigilantism are eyebrow raising and everyone (especially characters which really shouldn't be) become heroes when given a gun. In a perfect world, a gun is a vehicle for roleplay, this is where the illegal scene derives interesting roleplay from, being criminals and all. I don't think expanding gun access would be healthy for the server, even if it makes the system more realistic, the current gun restrictions and drug restrictions IC are already a stone throw away from California's policies.

Yes. Let me have a CCW even though I have been doing it illegally for almost a year now. If I get in a situation I just say I grabbed it from my vehicle.

The silly ccw license thing doesn't stop people from conceal carrying

1 minute ago, Shokkoth said:

Having played a character who concealed a pistol for about 3-4 months without possessing a CCW, I can tell you that the risk isn't that big as long as you're not a clown. And I think it's safe to assume that a lot of other PF holders also conceal without a valid permit. If you aren't stupid it's very easy to not get in trouble. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen - which is the whole point of CONCEALING.

And if you aren't concealing then youre storing your weapon either in your vehicle or at home, so either way, chances are someone will eventually get their hands on it regardless.

1 minute ago, Brofessor said:

It’s absolutely relevant. We’re not seeing eye to eye here. Moving on 👋

You're talking about PF abuse and I'm talking about the possible increase of robberies that will occur if this suggestion is accepted just due to the sheer fact that more people are carrying firearms.

2 minutes ago, Shokkoth said:

Having played a character who concealed a pistol for about 3-4 months without possessing a CCW, I can tell you that the risk isn't that big as long as you're not a clown. And I think it's safe to assume that a lot of other PF holders also conceal without a valid permit. If you aren't stupid it's very easy to not get in trouble. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen - which is the whole point of CONCEALING.

Back to my point above; "If you carry a firearm without a permit to carry it concealed, you're not particularly a "legal character". If you discharge that firearm in a case of self-defense outside of your property, you're liable to being charged with much more compared to a CCW holder."

1 minute ago, Shokkoth said:

And if you aren't concealing then youre storing your weapon either in your vehicle or at home, so either way, chances are someone will eventually get their hands on it regardless.

Would you rather loose 1 gun every 3-6 months due to your house being burglarized or do you rather the idea of you and everyone else being targeted just because the "good cause" requirement was removed and any regular Joe can assume you've got a CCW and you're carrying. House robberies are more controlled, logged and supervised by admins.

You're talking about PF abuse and I'm talking about the possible increase of robberies that will occur if this suggestion is accepted just due to the sheer fact that more people are carrying firearms.

Back to my point above; "If you carry a firearm without a permit to carry it concealed, you're not particularly a "legal character". If you discharge that firearm in a case of self-defense outside of your property, you're liable to being charged with much more compared to a CCW holder."

Would you rather loose 1 gun every 3-6 months due to your house being burglarized or do you rather the idea of you and everyone else being targeted just because the "good cause" requirement was removed and any regular Joe can assume you've got a CCW and you're carrying. House robberies are more controlled, logged and supervised by admins.

People already assume that you’re carrying a weapon. Most of the robberies happen because this is the assumption. It’s why robberies extend into mind numbing detail so they make sure to get that weapon. This is already the issue and my point is changing the CCW won’t do anything besides change the legality of carrying the weapon. It’s not going to affect robberies because it’s already happening. 

18 minutes ago, imi said:

I mean gun access are limited for civilians because generally they're used in quite an odd fashion, the waves of vigilantism are eyebrow raising and everyone (especially characters which really shouldn't be) become heroes when given a gun. In a perfect world, a gun is a vehicle for roleplay, this is where the illegal scene derives interesting roleplay from, being criminals and all. I don't think expanding gun access would be healthy for the server, even if it makes the system more realistic, the current gun restrictions and drug restrictions IC are already a stone throw away from California's policies.

So civilians shouldn’t be allowed to deviate from the straight and narrow is what you’re saying. This is a very narrow minded point of view, if I’m being honest. Civilians should be allowed to make IC mistakes and be careless just as illegal players are afforded that luxury of being stupid and careless. We’re all human.

I totally get the vigilante issue and odd situations but that boils down to properly punishing the offenders for shit portrayal, not punishing the entirety of the civilian population for the bad apples. That’s basically the same hypocritical shit from the other side when legal RP’ers blame the entire illegal community for the bad apples. With respect, this view is just wrong. But, we’re all entitled to our opinions. I respect it, just wholeheartedly disagree with you. 

Edited by Brofessor
2 minutes ago, Brofessor said:

People already assume that you’re carrying a weapon. Most of the robberies happen because this is the assumption. It’s why robberies extend into mind numbing detail so they make sure to get that weapon. This is already the issue and my point is changing the CCW won’t do anything besides change the legality of carrying the weapon. It’s not going to affect robberies because it’s already happening. 

I'm just gonna leave you to sit on what you just said & what I said above. 😅

I've seen a lot of no's on this page from law enforcement roleplayers and a lot of yes replies from a lot of non-leo's / illegal roleplayers

As someone who has been active on all sides of roleplay I'm half and half with this, I live in California and obtaining a CCW permit is NOT easy whatsoever, the issuing county would have to issue it to you and you would need good cause for such. Personal firearms on the other hand? easy to obtain as just going in, buying it and signing the form and then waiting for the OK from the proper department once your DOJ background check comes in. CCW? No thanks definitely needs to continue to be difficult to obtain unless the law somehow changes here in California which is HIGHLY unlikely to ever happen as California is VERY anti-gun. Majority of CCW's here in California are only issued to those in EXECUTIVE private security companies which often drive around high-profile clients (musicians/actors etc) and even then those are very scarce depending on the county. I live in a city outside of San Francisco which is VERY liberal and I've never heard of ANYONE obtaining a CCW from any of the local police departments in the area that are not working high-profile exec security jobs. 

No thank you to making CCW's easier to obtain without "good cause". Saying that you're afraid for your life definitely is not enough as you can easily move, etc. We are attempting to portray California here as far as I can see and making CCW's easier to obtain would make 0 logical sense. But that's just my two cents as someone who has lived in California my entire 27 years of living. 

• Shanks locked this topic