Remove "good cause" requirement for CCW, following SCOTUS ruling

Kappaurel

1 minute ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Again, not a gun issue. Is a server culture issue.

You get rid of the problem, which are the players who can't follow the rules and conduct themselves properly.

no offense but this is a very flimsy argument. 

this server uses ajails for poor escalation, not bans. we have almost daily major gunfights in every corner of the map, the amount of gunshot related calls has recently exploded.

this hasn’t changed, and unless PKs are going out the window, putting more guns, more powerful guns at that, even in strictly legal hands is just going to lead to more shootouts. not less. getting blasted by a legal rifle will just leave you PKed so you can try it again the next day. eventually those legal rifles will be robbed and targeted.

you can’t change a culture very easily. but god damn would life be a lot easier for everyone’s roleplay if everyone didn’t have a very easily used glock with no repurcussions if they lose the gunfight.

guns are definitely the fucking issue. they just cause way too much damage compared to a brawl or a stabbing that emergency services are always overwhelmed when they happen.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

this server uses ajails for poor escalation, not bans

This really opened my eyes, because it's true.

Nervous thinks the server can't be trusted with rifles, but he's made a very real and problematic niche for rifles to exist anyway, showing that there are very real circumstances that earn the trust to handle a rifle.

Except people who have that trust are frequently showing they don't deserve it.

So, what happens as a result of breaking that trust? How does the server staff react when someone has abused the privilege of access to a firearm that the server owner himself has decreed can. not. be. used. by anyone else? 

A slap on the wrist.

That trust should come with exactly as much responsibility as Nervous himself has suggested to be needed - if someone fails to demonstrate a true and behaved handling that allows them to utilize a weapon that nobody else can be allowed to use "for the safety of the server", they should never be allowed to use it ever again.

It's a simple, straightforward fix that would help quiet down a lot of the violence issues we have. Folks aren't going to be so giddy about mobbing police convoys with ARs if they know they'll lose them and possibly more for breaking the rules.

Meanwhile, the folks that follow the rules get to keep theirs, promoting a healthy roleplay environment.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, pateuvasiliu said:

It makes no sense for the state to deny its citizens CCWs when it is quite clear that even the cops don't have a good hold on the streets ( getting gunned down in Vespucci and Davis on the regular ). Dozens of cops die every month, which compared to the population leads to colossal ratios compared to the real Los Angeles.

It never made sense to me that FLD asks why you need a CCW.  " I'm afraid for my life " is more than enough. House break ins, kidnappings and murder are a COMMON thing on our server/in our city. No one's gonna have time to pull their PF out of the locked glovebox when someone's coming to kill/rob/kidnap you.

Server has the crime rate of every city in the world put together and we have to justify carrying a handgun to protect ourselves from minors with assault rifles.

1 minute ago, KinnyWynny said:

no offense but this is a very flimsy argument. 

this server uses ajails for poor escalation, not bans. we have almost daily major gunfights in every corner of the map, the amount of gunshot related calls has recently exploded.

this hasn’t changed, and unless PKs are going out the window, putting more guns, more powerful guns at that, even in strictly legal hands is just going to lead to more shootouts. not less. getting blasted by a legal rifle will just leave you PKed so you can try it again the next day. eventually those legal rifles will be robbed and targeted.

you can’t change a culture very easily. but god damn would life be a lot easier for everyone’s roleplay if everyone didn’t have a very easily used glock with no repurcussions if they lose the gunfight.

guns are definitely the fucking issue. they just cause way too much damage compared to a brawl or a stabbing that emergency services are always overwhelmed when they happen.

Not as flimsy as you think.

Because generally speaking the people who are violating the escalation rules are violating other rules as well. It'll be the people that you constantly see getting reported for DM, or logging out during a police chase or whatever. People who catch 15 ajails, then a 2 day ban, and then a "permanent ban" and with one teary apology, they're back on the server a month or two later.

Allowing legal characters to purchase a more diverse set of guns is not going to offset what IFM has already flooded the streets with. I see more combat rifle mk2's in use today than ever before.

So I'll say it again. Start actually punishing people with bans. Ban the habitual rule breakers. And make them stay banned. A progressive system needs to be in place where at the end of the day, people run out of chances to play here. That's the only way the quality of RP improves and or people follow the rules.

• Applaud 3

It's not a good idea unless staff team finally grows some balls and starts actually punishing rulebreakers. More guns will just create more poor escalation reports and more people will receive 25 unofficial warnings before getting ajailed for 15 minutes.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

The people causing these problems (legal or illegal) should be punished for improper escalation outside of a 30 minute ajail. This is not a gun issue. It’s an accountability issue with management and how they see fit to police the server, or lack thereof.

We would have never needed an OOC good clause policy if rule breakers were punished the way they deserved rather than a temporary ajail that literally did nothing to stop them from doing it again 🤷‍♂️ Ajails are like telling a child to go stand in the corner and think about what they did. It does nothing to fix the problem. 

Edited by Brofessor

Not trying to pick on anyone but it's kinda funny how civilians need atleast military tier background check or something to be able to fight back otherwise its non RP fear. It's one of the dumbest things I've heard and saw and it shouldn't be there. Los Santos at this point is pretty dangerous so I'd say not wanting to get atleast a switchblade to defend yourself should be more non RP fear at this point than fighting back when you got the opportunity because fetuses can carry Kalashnikovs and Glocks but civilians are supposed to be docile little cowards all the time because of some salt lords who just go around chain robbing.

I don't know nor care about the rifles and what not, I do think the good cause part is absolutely ridiculous and I've seen people getting denied over the most bizarre reasons. Either remove it or stop expecting people to write whole essays. You can't roleplay a police officer and complain about the insane crime rate, the fact you get shot at normal traffic stops etc. But then you apply double standards and say it's not a good enough reason when a civilian uses those same arguments as to why he needs a gun. The city is fucking crazy, stop pretending its not and stop punishing civilians for wanting to protect themselves. The fact you're a Los Santos resident should be reason enough to get accepted. Instead of making it extremely difficult for people to roleplay appropriately due to fear of OOC rulebreaking or whatever? Just put harsher OOC punishments on abusing licensed firearms.

• Upvote 6
54 minutes ago, Coburn said:

Server has the crime rate of every city in the world put together and we have to justify carrying a handgun to protect ourselves from minors with assault rifles.

Yeah lmao like it's ridiculous to even ASK why you feel unsafe when Minors ambush cops in Vespucci with auto rifles from rooftops.

This shit would be nuked in real life.

• Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, sCrax said:

It's not a good idea unless staff team finally grows some balls and starts actually punishing rulebreakers. More guns will just create more poor escalation reports

I am willing to bet that I can find you 10 successful reports on illegal gun owners for every 1 report on a CCW owner you can bring up.

The high crime rate and gun ownership on the server is NOT due to civilians. Don't try to spin this as if civilians are shooting each other with their CCWs daily because that shit just doesn't happen. I've seen maybe one or two arrests for SHAFT code violation since 2019.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
  • Upvote 1
  • Shanks locked this topic