Remove "good cause" requirement for CCW, following SCOTUS ruling

Kappaurel

57 minutes ago, imi said:

I mean gun access are limited for civilians because generally they're used in quite an odd fashion, the waves of vigilantism are eyebrow raising and everyone (especially characters which really shouldn't be) become heroes when given a gun.

Agreed. The balance of firearms issued to civilian and criminal roleplayers is absolutely fine as it is, as imi has already mentioned, firearms play a huge part of an illegal roleplayers development. If every civilian was to be carrying a firearm then this server would quite honestly become World War Three, civilians vs. illegals. It's absolutely fine how it is, this idea is just outright silly. 

36 minutes ago, imi said:

And how exactly will giving more civilians firearms stop them suffering (a point I dispute anyway). Rather robberies will increase as criminals will now know that whilst people /may/ not have a gun on them, the culture of the server will mean most of time the person your robbing will have a firearm. People tend to seek out a firearm before robbing anything else, that's the high value target they want. This will lead to more questionable robberies, vigilantism, and more CKs of both criminals and civilian roleplayers for fail roleplay whilst being held at gunpoint. 

The missing point here is that CCW doesn’t prevent people from acquiring guns or choosing to carry them for that matter. A simple PF license gives them access to buying a gun, which does not require a good cause. People choose to conceal carry all the time without a license already, so what good is the policy doing? Not much. 

As to your point about robberies, people already assume you’re carrying a weapon because many people already do carry, regardless of having a CCW or not. Robbers go into incredibly detailed searches down to stripping your shoes off to check for a gun. This is already an issue. CCW is not causing this because we already have the good cause policy that’s not preventing this. 

A stroll through the reports section often yields little to no issues with CCW holders. More often than not they do contain non-CCW (both legal and illegal) issues. So who’s really at fault? CCW is not the problem man. The root of the issue lies in the bad apples and the rest of everyone else gets punished because of it. It’s the wrong approach. The server shouldn’t suffer because these people aren’t being punished properly and being allowed to continue repeating the same mistakes. That’s not on us. 

Edited by Brofessor

Honestly, I won't say that civilians should be allowed greater access to armaments, but I will insist that if the civilian population is denied access to firearms, then additional responsibility be applied to those that are not similarly restricted. Anyone that is found using a limited access firearm to break the rules, should have a one-and-done limit, with the first punishment being a permanent disallowance of any further use of those weapons, and the second offense leading to a permanent ban from the community.

The issues with weapons will sort themselves out very fast with such a standard applied. 

1 hour ago, DLimit said:

All I can say is... civilians with CCWs = getting robbed for your firearm.

You'll be arming the illegal population with more firearms. 

This has happened before.

In the end, I don't care.

Nah, they rob you either way, without knowing if you got a gun or not.

If you got no gun? They rob money and items

If you got gun? They rob money, items and gun

At least with the gun you stand a chance.

1 hour ago, DLimit said:

All I can say is... civilians with CCWs = getting robbed for your firearm.

You'll be arming the illegal population with more firearms. 

This has happened before.

In the end, I don't care.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record.....

First, CCW license does not prevent people from choosing to carry without a license. A lot of people already do this without having a CCW license. They just haven't been caught. Not everyone is the gun-toting, beer drinking vigilante that everyone makes them out to be. It's quite easy to not get slapped with a SHAFT violation with a little common sense and restraint. Second, much of the illegal population already assumes that people are carrying a weapon. It's evident when they all but strip search their victims down to taking off their shoes in order to find said weapon. Removing the good cause policy will do nothing to make more worse than it already is. The larger problem lies with lack of enforcement and adequate punishment for the cat-ear wearing John Wick vigilantes who chase people down the street on foot when they have no business doing so. Punish the problem, not the entire community. 5 verbal warnings and 30 minutes ajails just don't cut it.

Edited by Brofessor
  • Shanks locked this topic