Remove "good cause" requirement for CCW, following SCOTUS ruling

Kappaurel

Hello!

Following SCOTUS ruling:

The US Supreme Court has struck down a New York law restricting gun carrying rights.

The law required residents who want a licence to prove "proper cause" to carry concealed weapons and that they faced "a special or unique" danger.

The 6-3 decision stated the requirement violates the Constitutional right to bear arms.

The ruling jeopardises similar restrictions in other states and expands gun rights.

Justice Clarence Thomas, writing for the six-justice conservative majority on the court, held that Americans have a right to carry "commonly used" firearms in public for personal defence.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61915237

I feel it is appropiate to bring this topic up for discussion. As it stands, the application to have a CCW requires to provide "good cause", which is the same exact case SCOTUS struck down with their most recent ruling.

If we are attempting to portray the counterpart of Los Angeles, California; the need to abide by SCOTUS rulings should be something obvious.

Before anyone tells me to handle this IC, its Faction Management, as far as my understanding goes, who forced good cause to be a thing.

Anything but removing the "good cause" requirement would be a big hit to immersion and proper portrayal of a city in the United States of America. Or at least, that's my opinion.

I'll be reading you! Keep it civil please

• Upvote 7

Limiting guns through OOC means is no longer applicable. Either take off all those AK's from (M)-dominated gangs, or allow us to abide by SCOTUS rulings; either one way or the other, in-betweens would put a party at a major disadvantage compared to the other. This is something LFM is also aware of, as I've raised this with them the moment I found out about the ruling. Once the internal discussions are concluded, I'll make sure to update everyone on our State Government Discord, and we'll also have the SHAFT amended.

Edited by H04X
  • Upvote 7
5 minutes ago, Peak. said:

Yeah just what the server needs, more people having access to firearms and DMing..

Honestly, that is not quite the valid argument. 

Matter of fact, it is cheaper and easier to get an illegal gun than a legal one, for a civilian aswell.

It makes no sense for the state to deny its citizens CCWs when it is quite clear that even the cops don't have a good hold on the streets ( getting gunned down in Vespucci and Davis on the regular ). Dozens of cops die every month, which compared to the population leads to colossal ratios compared to the real Los Angeles.

It never made sense to me that FLD asks why you need a CCW.  " I'm afraid for my life " is more than enough. House break ins, kidnappings and murder are a COMMON thing on our server/in our city. No one's gonna have time to pull their PF out of the locked glovebox when someone's coming to kill/rob/kidnap you.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 2
5 minutes ago, Allantrist said:

Yeah no. There are enough guns on the server

Illegal guns and CCWs are not the same thing. It's incredibly easy to get a gun illegally, whereas legal characters have to jump through hoops and applications. It makes no sense for it to be this hard when we live in Night City.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

It makes no sense for the state to deny its citizens CCWs when it is quite clear that even the cops don't have a good hold on the streets ( getting gunned down in Vespucci and Davis on the regular ). Dozens of cops die every month, which compared to the population leads to colossal ratios compared to the real Los Angeles.

It never made sense to me that FLD asks why you need a CCW.  " I'm afraid for my life " is more than enough. House break ins, kidnappings and murder are a COMMON thing on our server/in our city. No one's gonna have time to pull their PF out of the locked glovebox when someone's coming to kill/rob/kidnap you.

• Shanks locked this topic