Hide character names by default and introduce a recognizing system to display names

Mistery14

14 minutes ago, joshua said:

i personally don't mind this cus i come from HL2RP where this was always the norm. you only see character description (/examine) until they "F2" you after giving you their name IC (which is the equivalent of this suggestion, where then their name comes up)

i completely understand why people may not be receptive to this at all tho, as i know the current method of nametags has been in use since early SAMP days for a lot of players here

Bingo. Hello fellow HL2RP player! 🙂

Yeah, the misunderstanding about the mechanic is my main concern - It's two different games but the RP is very similar, actually, almost the same. And the same pillar rules like MG, PG, DM apply, but they use different in-game mechanics and use a different game, and that's about it.

Now I've played both games and been RPing for a long while, and this system always seems to come on top when it comes to RP for those who are familiar with it. But yeah I agree with you, not everyone is going to understand/be receptive to this system as some might have never ever heard of it - People might mistake this as a suggestion to remove name tags, but it's not about removing name tags after all, it's just having these name tags not be immediately available to you unless your character knows the other character you want to interact with.

Edited by Mistery14

Like 70% of the illegal side metagames. That's just the way it is. I'm not saying the legal doesn't, but the right side, which is illegal 😏 metagames a lot however. As an illegal player it becomes tiring to put report after report on people that metagame. How long can you stay clean from temptation before you start doing it yourself? Therefor, honestly, I /rarely/ put a report up anymore and just deal with the metagame unless its extreme. 

I will say +1 to this - it's a huge change, change can be good and could be a necessary one

Edited by Hendrix Jackson

Nah. I think this is messy, unnecessary and is going to be pretty awful in areas with lots of people. To elaborate, if you wanted to interact with someone in a busy place i.e. an open business it's easier and more attention grabbing to put the person's name in a /me as opposed to a generic description or number identifier. Also just not a personal fan of the idea.

14 minutes ago, Storm said:

Nah. I think this is messy, unnecessary and is going to be pretty awful in areas with lots of people. To elaborate, if you wanted to interact with someone in a busy place i.e. an open business it's easier and more attention grabbing to put the person's name in a /me as opposed to a generic description or number identifier. Also just not a personal fan of the idea.

Oh yeah, that's a fair concern, but if I can clarify a little bit, with that system in place the issue of not being able to include a character's name in your /me is going to be replaced by their visual/written description which GTA W benefits from, which is why it can be displayed in the first place. This does however slightly increases the amount of text one has to put in their /me's, naturally. It doesn't necessarily have to be the number identifier, if anything it encourages more effort and descriptive actions into written RP.

An example would be this: You want to grab a character that's wearing a white hoodie and that character is in directly in front of you in a crowd. You'd write this instead of their name:

/me grabs the man in the white hoodie/the man right in front of him.

I'll pull the "Heavy RP" card - This wouldn't be a text-RP gamemode if it weren't for the fact that people had to write /me to interact with one another, I'd think adding a little more text to /me interactions wouldn't do much harm in my opinion.

Edited by Mistery14
4 minutes ago, Mistery14 said:

Oh yeah, that's a fair concern, but if I can clarify a little bit, with that system in place the issue of not being able to include a character's name in your /me is going to be replaced by their visual/written description which GTA W benefits from, which is why it can be displayed in the first place. This does however slightly increases the amount of text one has to put in their /me's, naturally. It doesn't necessarily have to be the number identifier, if anything it encourages more effort and descriptive actions into written RP.

An example would be this: You want to grab a character that's wearing a white hoodie and that character is in directly in front of you in a crowd. You'd write this instead of their name:

/me grabs the man in the white hoodie/the man right in front of him.

I'll pull the "Heavy RP" card - This wouldn't be a text-RP gamemode if it weren't for the fact that people had to write /me to interact with one another, I'd think adding a little more text to /me interactions wouldn't do much harm in my opinion.

The thing is, people already struggle with a short attention span and I feel like taking something as direct as a name away from a description of what you're doing will only lead to more confusion in these scenes. Same thing can be applied to another situation that we see every couple of months, large scale riots, where half of the people in attendance wear similar/blacked out clothing which may be hard to distinguish who's being referred to.

This is almost impossible to do on a text RP server, you can't tell the difference between voices and faces or body differences, many faces are similar, not to mention that sometimes in crowded places the faces are bugged.

And the negative point, you can not identify them if someone is breaking the rules

• Upvote 1

might sound okay in theory, but in practice this just isn't going to work I'm afraid

the below highlights just a couple of the reasons why:

12 minutes ago, Jennie said:

This is almost impossible to do on a text RP server, you can't tell the difference between voices and faces or body differences, many faces are similar, not to mention that sometimes in crowded places the faces are bugged.

And the negative point, you can not identify them if someone is breaking the rules

Yes, it was a thing with HL2RP in Garry's Mode and it was great since you even though most of the characters in there looks similar to each other, they're all unique by their /examine and people can't metagame that easily. Like in real world, you'll have to recall the details from about the person to properly describe him to someone else if you don't know he's name. 

People metagaming and it's known, it's hard to proof they're doing it. 

I can tell that I once done something illegal and someone could see me, and the other day he recalled me by my name even though I had different clothes and removed my hair, all because he seen my name for a brief moment while driving. 

As for another case, I stabbed a Deputy and ran away, I got rid of the clothes, dyed my hair and changed it, wore a jacket to cover my tattoos etc etc, and out of a sudden as I was on the street some LSPD officer spotted me and knew my character, even though he wasn't there with the original case but probably seen the BOLO Shaddowplay where people could see my name..

So if knowing players name will be a difficult task like it should be, it'll be better for the server.

The best side, it'll make the shooting to happen less often, because the shooters will have to verify their victim before and won't just randomly shoot at everyone.

Big yes for this idea!

• Upvote 1