Punishments should reflect the rules broken and damage inflicted on players.

14 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

Yeah the "I didn't realize" excuse is getting really old, you didn't realize a lifeguard tower or FD station was a crime free zone? Like hell you didn't. Robbery rules is iterally one if the questions covered in the application process. It's really a joke that players are getting away with such obvious rule violations, they know what they're doing.

To add to this, some rules are far too vague and it gives people the ability to get away with feigning ignorance. An actual visual representation of things like the no crime / restricted crime zones in the maps section of the UCP seems like an absolute no-brainer to me as per:

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, space monkey said:

[...] you cant ICly sell an item thats not a script [...]

Rule 2 - Powergaming

[...] you cant use your voice to do RP performances like stand up or talking through your mic in a DJ set [...]

Never heard of this one and don't immediately see why you can't, as long as you're not using it to actually be in a conversation with others, we're not on a voice RP server. As long as it's hyping up or something there's nothing wrong with it. But you might as well prerecord stuff like that for your own benefit in that sort of RP. There's something to be said this skirts on metagaming if you use your own voice though.

[...] you cant ICly claim a song is your character's if you're not the one OOCly sining [...]

Heard of copyright? Has nothing to do with the server. The world exists, you're going to get called out by people for claiming someone else's work. Since the original artists can't ICly sue you, I would classify this under rule 2 as well.

Edited by Triple Seven
2nd point added on to
31 minutes ago, space monkey said:

im not referring to crime free zones.

im referring to unwritten rules ive heard of like, you cant ICly sell an item thats not a script. you cant use your voice to do RP performances like stand up or talking through your mic in a DJ set. you cant ICly claim a song is your character's if you're not the one OOCly sining. im sure there are plenty more.

a lot of the times warning someone for a mistake is enough.

Those aren't unwritten rules, nor specifically mentioned because it's basic common sense (not every instance of powergaming can be covered in the rules) not to do these things. if you need rules to specify that these things aren't okay I'd question what you're doing on a heavy rp server. But Wuhtah has offered you their DMs, I'd strongly advise taking her up on it so you can learn to avoid making mistakes you might otherwise fall foul of.

That being said, Wuhtah nailed it with regards to what this thread is about. It's been very clearly stated numerous times throughout that we want harsher punishments for those who are being malicious and knowingly disruptive, not those who just fuck up once in a blue moon. I don't understand why people are having trouble understanding the very clear difference.

Edited by Moonsong
  • Upvote 2

If you've been here longer than a few months, there should be no leniency for ignorance. Read the rules. It's expected for every player to know them and follow them. You agree to that when you sign up to play here. If it's a one-off and a genuine mistake? New player? Fine I'll give you that. Let's point them in the right direction so they don't make that mistake again.

If they've been here and active for 6 months or longer and the reason for a verbal warning was, "Oh they haven't broken that specific rule yet"? People getting 30 minute ajails for things like straight metagaming, powergaming or deathmatching after being a player for well over a year? Breaching crime-zone rules because "they weren't aware"? Fine, give them a benefit of the doubt. Do a quick account check. Have they been a player for several months or longer? "They weren't aware" should not be a valid excuse at that point. Ignorance is no longer an excuse. Saying its a game doesn't give people a reason to give fuck all about the rules. Call that harsh, call that what you will. This community has been babied way too much and given way too much leeway.

Edited by Brofessor
  • Upvote 1