Make a clear rule for hand-to-hand combat.

Are script fights perfect? No, but they are absolutely fairer and easier to execute then /me fights. Dgmr, in an ideal world everyone would play fairly and /me would be the preferred option, but GTAW isn't an ideal world. In personal experience, time and again people abuse /me fights to their advantage or an unrealistic degree. All it devolves into is who can write MMA lines the fastest, regardless of characters actual attributes. 

Like I said script fights are not perfect, but the system of starting with a /me and giving the other party a moment to respond before going into the script fight is a lot better then having to deal with dudes who turn into text chat Jackie Chan the moment they get in a /me fight.

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, Trupiano said:

Are script fights perfect? No, but they are absolutely fairer and easier to execute then /me fights. Dgmr, in an ideal world everyone would play fairly and /me would be the preferred option, but GTAW isn't an ideal world. In personal experience, time and again people abuse /me fights to their advantage or an unrealistic degree. All it devolves into is who can write MMA lines the fastest, regardless of characters actual attributes.

GTA W allows for both to script and RP fights to happen, that alone doesn't bother me at all. People opt for whatever method they want to RP with one another. I do agree with you though that people abuse script fight mechanics to get an unfair advantage, which is precisely the issue this suggestion brings up.

Like I said script fights are not perfect, but the system of starting with a /me and giving the other party a moment to respond before going into the script fight is a lot better then having to deal with dudes who turn into text chat Jackie Chan the moment they get in a /me fight.

"- Enforce /me reciprocity in hand-to-hand combat. Player A punches player B, Player A should /me that and let Player B react with a /me. Whether they want to proceed with script or /me RP for their fight doesn't matter."

The whole point of this suggestion is not to enforce /me fights. One of the fundamentals of RP, as you seem to agree yourself is to allow other players for OOC time to respond to your /mes with /mes of their own. Otherwise, it'd just be one-sided RP, rest assured we're on the same page on this.

The problem here is the initial engagement where one person types a half-assed /me and rushes the opposing party before they even have to process what's going on OOC let alone IC, /me reciprocity is out of the question in that case.

Again this is purely suggesting to make a rule that enforces players allowing other people the time to /me before they act (which I think should apply to all RP situations), but especially in fist fights where the issue is most prominent.

Edited by Mistery14
2 minutes ago, Capoh said:

I mean but then again, people do get snuck up on irl without really having enough time to process it, but it is lowkey abused and overused on world.

This is true, but this is beyond the point of the suggestion.

It's hard to phrase, but basically: OOC reaction time, and IC reaction time are two respectively different things in an RP setting.

OOC reaction time would be to allow the player to read and process the text, think of their next move, and type out an appropriate response to their character being snuck up on and punched. (i.e, either typing out /me is knocked out by the punch or /me stumbles forwards due to the punch and turns around), which has nothing to do with your character's reaction time.

IC reaction time is simply the character perspective of things. From your character's perspective, they're being snuck up on and punched in the back of the head and that's that.

At the end of the day, allowing others for OOC reaction time does not automatically mean the victim ends up being in an advantageous spot. If your character is being snuck up on and you, as a player know it, your character still doesn't get to know until they're punched, and there's not much your character can do until then. If your character somehow knows they're going to be punched and pull off some matrix moves, then it's both metagaming and powergaming as you'd be using the written text to gain IC knowledge that you shouldn't have.

Hopefully this makes a little more sense.

• Upvote 1

100% plus 1. Way too often I've seen people just rp one line and resort to attacking. Unless you are in the persons face and quickly draw and stab them. 

/me rushes and starts punching is just a poor standard for rping a fight

There really should be far more enforcement for this

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Resick said:

make a clear rule to remove the needing of /me's while scriptfighting completely

what's the point of fighting in /me's ? 🤣

Could you elaborate a little further on this? It's baffling to hear that people on an RP server shouldn't need to RP at all for a given situation. But, it's your opinion and you have all rights to have it. If you've got good reason and points to convince me, I'm open to hearing them though.

Few questions:

1) Is OOC reaction time the same as IC reaction time to you?

2) How will you be able to tell between a legitimate RP punch and a troll punch if /mes are completely out of the picture for script fights?

3) If /mes are unnecessary for scripted fist-fights, how about gunfights? How about other RP? Does it ultimately imply fist-fighting less important than other RP?

4) How can you RP your injuries out of something that was never RP'd in the first place? /mes are there to state exactly what the person is doing and how they're doing it. If it's not there, can't you technically ignore it?

To answer your question:

what's the point of fighting in /me's ?

- Ultimately, people can opt out of /me fights as they please, script and /me fights aren't the same. But that doesn't mean /me is completely irrelevant for scripted fights, they're still needed.

They're needed to provide IC context, details as to who is being punched and how. The problem comes when the initiating player doesn't let the other player (not their character!) the time to write an initial /me response to their character being punched initially. Script fighting is still RP and needs RP reciprocity from both parties in order to make sure both players are on the same page OOC to limit powergaming or one-sided RP, IC reaction time is a whole separate thing. Your character may or may not be able to react fast enough to being punched, but that's something you'll have to /me in response to that first punch if you want your character to react fast enough.

See it this way:

-You as a player, have your own IRL reaction time, this is your OOC reaction time and is reserved to be able to process the text you're reading and provide a /me in response to other players' actions. It has nothing to do with your character itself.

-Your character has their own reaction time, this is IC reaction time and it's what you, as a player, make it to be for your character. If your char has good reflexes and is aware of an incoming punch, then they'll be able to probably react in time. If not, then you can /me getting punched.

Either way, both may seem similar, but they're really not, it should be accounted for to all RP, but it'd be a start if it was applied correctly to fights in the first place.

5 hours ago, Orpheus49 said:

100% plus 1. Way too often I've seen people just rp one line and resort to attacking. Unless you are in the persons face and quickly draw and stab them. 

/me rushes and starts punching is just a poor standard for rping a fight

There really should be far more enforcement for this

Thanks. - Yeah that's exactly the idea, it's not give anyone any advantage whatsoever, it's to give anyone the chance to actually RP what their character is experiencing and how they'll react.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, C-ROACH said:

You do a /me, opp does a /me. Then? We script fight. It's a game, let's not tamper with fun. 

-Carl Roach, best fighter in the worl 

Here's all the quotes I'll be able to find on the whole thread that mentions and encourages exactly this:

- Enforce /me reciprocity in hand-to-hand combat. Player A punches player B, Player A should /me that and let Player B react with a /me. Whether they want to proceed with script or /me RP for their fight doesn't matter.

Again, whether people want to drag a fight in a /me, is not my concern here. Each to their own. The real concern is the lack of allowance for OOC reaction time from the player (Not the character! That's a whole different thing OOC and IC reaction time is not the same).

/me goes to send a right hook into [character name]'s jaw, looking all pissed off. > Let Player B react > Script fight begins once the two have /me'd.

Is much better than:

/me rushes [character name]. > One-sided script fight for a few seconds just to chip away at health until Player B gets their bearings OOC and starts throwing back punches.

We should have something somewhere in the rules, even simply under common courtesy, because that's what it essentially is, stating that at the very least when you perform a /me when interacting with someone, you should always wait for them to reply with a /me to your action in turn in any RP situation. Some semblance of /me reciprocity is the least people can do to make RP interactions enjoyable.

GTA W allows for both to script and RP fights to happen, that alone doesn't bother me at all. People opt for whatever method they want to RP with one another. I do agree with you though that people abuse script fight mechanics to get an unfair advantage, which is precisely the issue this suggestion brings up.

(...) The whole point of this suggestion is not to enforce /me fights. One of the fundamentals of RP, as you seem to agree yourself is to allow other players for OOC time to respond to your /mes with /mes of their own. Otherwise, it'd just be one-sided RP, rest assured we're on the same page on this.

The problem here is the initial engagement where one person types a half-assed /me and rushes the opposing party before they even have to process what's going on OOC let alone IC, /me reciprocity is out of the question in that case.

- Ultimately, people can opt out of /me fights as they please, script and /me fights aren't the same. But that doesn't mean /me is completely irrelevant for scripted fights, they're still needed.

Again, the point is not to enforce /me fights, and I don't know how to phrase it any other way than the above.

People fight however they want to fight, but both /me fights and scripted fights need to have some RP happen from both parties and not just one player, it's the initial encounter that causes problems with people too often not allowing each other time to type and RP in the first place before they're sending punches their way.

I'm not going to be able to explain the concept of the suggestion better than I already have unfortunately.

Edited by Mistery14