Roleplaying Character Age

Tangsta

It's tricky tbf.  While I prefer 1 day irl = 1 in game day, the rate at which events happen and the rate at which progression within factions happen doesn't mirror what it would IRL. So if your character joined a legal faction at 22 years old, remained in it and actively worked to rise the ranks, they could theoretically end up in a quite high position at 25 if you vibed there for 3 years or so. And that's it taking a LONG time for the server. It most likely will be a lot shorter than that.

It's one of those things where they'll never be a perfect answer. 1 game day to 1 irl day will lead to young characters running everything, or the climb in factions to become agonizingly slow to the point people lose motivation, and anything else will lead to people aging up at different rate; your character won't have aged much in a few months, maybe a year or two, where another's jumped from 20 to 35.

Maybe there could be a fixed accelerated system where it could be 1 day IRL = 2 days in game, 1 month irl = 2 months, or some other calculation. But that has issues too, in terms of the server date and irl events/holidays and such, and that would piss people off who don't want to age up their character so quickly.

Honestly try not to think too deep into the disparity between how different people age and try to vibe with how you do it.

4 minutes ago, big man clem said:

It's tricky tbf.  While I prefer 1 day irl = 1 in game day, the rate at which events happen and the rate at which progression within factions happen doesn't mirror what it would IRL. So if your character joined a legal faction at 22 years old, remained in it and actively worked to rise the ranks, they could theoretically end up in a quite high position at 25 if you vibed there for 3 years or so. And that's it taking a LONG time for the server. It most likely will be a lot shorter than that.

It's one of those things where they'll never be a perfect answer. 1 game day to 1 irl day will lead to young characters running everything, or the climb in factions to become agonizingly slow to the point people lose motivation, and anything else will lead to people aging up at different rate; your character won't have aged much in a few months, maybe a year or two, where another's jumped from 20 to 35.

Maybe there could be a fixed accelerated system where it could be 1 day IRL = 2 days in game, 1 month irl = 2 months, or some other calculation. But that has issues too, in terms of the server date and irl events/holidays and such, and that would piss people off who don't want to age up their character so quickly.

Honestly try not to think too deep into the disparity between how different people age and try to vibe with how you do it.

One irl day=3 irl days I think would be fair.

• Upvote 1
On 6/16/2022 at 2:41 AM, mj2002 said:

I found it to be reasonable to age my character up one year every ~2 irl months. My main character has existed for approximately 2 irl years and aged up about 15 ic years.

Appreciate the different inputs. I see that it really comes down to what kind of a character you roleplay as, and how active your character can be. 

I will try to use and figure out which way better applies to my character 👍🏻

• 3 weeks later...

For me it only makes sense something of aging up when:

1. you are a minor for a few months like 3 or 4 and then you age up.

2. You don't appear for some long time in game and when you come back you can age up a bit.

Other than that for me makes not much sense.