Roleplaying Character Age

Tangsta

Hello everyone. So this is something thats been on my mind forever as far as I have been roleplaying.

How do you guys roleplay getting older?

Does everyone roleplay aging by real life years?

Is this this something that people just decide on their own how often their character ages?

Is this why we mainly have young adults on the server?

I don’t think this discussion will last but I’d love to hear others input on this.

Cheers

Edited by Tangsta

People decide on their own accord how they want to age up their characters. 

The approach that I take is, whenever a significant thing happens in my characters life, I age the character up somewhat. For an example, my character is PD. So, as time goes and my character gets promoted, I'd age up accordingly. 

You don't have to wait out real life years to age up. My suggestion is to not age up very drastically since it could be awkward for people around you to adjust to that. 

• Upvote 2

For me personally, I age up my character once a year on her birthday. Keeps it realistic and immersive if I age her one year per year. However, I can see why some people would want to age up faster. Especially if you're RPing long term character development.

Honestly, its up to the person. Everyone does it different. Some people like me keep it realistic and age up once year per real life year. Some people age up faster and might age up 2-3 years per real life year especially if they're roleplaying prison time or something similiar. Some people just straight up never age up at all, after all... there's no rule saying they have to age up, so they can do that.

And yeah... Because everyone does it different, it can kinda break immersion a bit sometimes. Like if you meet a friend who is younger than you, but one day they get arrested and go to jail, then suddenly they walk out 3 years older than you because they aged up... Kinda just have deal with that weird wonky aspect of character aging.

• Upvote 1

I have so far played 1 rl day = 1 ig day. That said, lots of my friends doesn't and that's okay. It can get awkward when people move their timeline by years.

How I choose to handle that is, if I meet somone when they were 28 and they aged to 30 because of a promotion, rather than I pretending I have known them for 2 years while my character hasn't aged, I assume in my head they have always been 30. That way our timelines still line up and while awkward, that is how I get around people who was pregnant one day and has a 3 year old the next. I erase the memory of them being pregnant because I only met them a month ago and now they have always had a 3 year old in my head canon.

Not perfect, but this is how I found it best to deal with it.

And if something still doesn't logically line up, I try not to think about it too hard.

Edited by Natala
  • Applaud 1