Money

croozerdog

@ScarletRose

I agree with what Scarlet said. If you have millions in bank, roleplay a middle class/rich person. Instead of working at a gas station pretending to be a sorry poor person. 
My character always trys to help less fortunate, turns out he most likely has been generous to millionaires thinking they are poor. 

8 minutes ago, Tangsta said:

@ScarletRose

I agree with what Scarlet said. If you have millions in bank, roleplay a middle class/rich person. Instead of working at a gas station pretending to be a sorry poor person. 
My character always trys to help less fortunate, turns out he most likely has been generous to millionaires thinking they are poor. 

this is quite possibly the worst idea i've ever seen proposed on this forum

i am never roleplaying that my cop is ICly paid 50 thousand dollars a week, that is fucking dumb

3 minutes ago, joshua said:

i am never roleplaying that my cop is ICly paid 50 thousand dollars a week, that is fucking dumb

Well yeah I can understand that. But if you wanna roleplay 25$ an hour wage then its your choice. 

46 minutes ago, Van said:

Solution: Take a zero off everybody's assets, half the prices of every valuable.

That's such a naive fallacy, let alone killing any and all low value item trade given there are no decimals, or cents as well as the massive amount of changes that need to be made in the script to adjust pricing, paychecks and the likes.

6 hours ago, Engelbert said:

I think it has been established, that we don't want 1:1 realism scale here, cause if we had that. I'd have to spend 12 hours 3 times a week rping working to get some scraps. I earn my money IC, not through trucking or other grinding methods. I earn them through interactions and roleplay, so I can and I will consider them IC.

Right now we're at an extremely unrealistic scale, I don't want 1:1 myself, just not as invlated and boring as it is now.

1 hour ago, joshua said:

Yeah everything would have to be re-worked. The inherent value of money and all wages/free starter cash. It's extremely hard and probably tedious but it'll make it a more engaging experience in the end, I'd think.

1 hour ago, joshua said:

Like I said, for something like this to work, the entire economy will have to be reworked. The value of money especially needs to be way higher. That way, people aren't being paid thousands of dollars in hourly wages. Prices of vehicles and housing needs to be properly rebalanced to the new value of money. Yes, you're correct, roleplaying a 50k/week salary for a cop is stupid. That's why a rework and perhaps a full server economy wipe is needed. Like I said, if we just suddenly force everyone to start roleplaying their cash, it'll be chaos and there will be way too many rich people. Only way this will work is with an economy wipe.

The main purpose of this idea is to fix the issue with people not roleplaying their cash properly. Why do people not RP their cash as IC? Because like you said, it's stupid and unrealistic to roleplay a $50,000/week salary. The only way to fix this problem is to first wipe the server and start fresh, then increase the value of money so it's more believable, while adjusting vehicle and housing prices to match the new value of money. $50,000/week is stupidly unrealistic. Remove a zero and that becomes $5,000 a week. That's still unrealistic, but it's a lot more believable and easier to RP. And at the end of the day, it has to be a little unrealistic because nobody wants to roleplay an exact 1:1 realistic economy where you get paid $20 an hour and a house takes years of work to afford.

And yes, It'll be tedious and very annoying for the devs. It's probably impossible for the server especially since we're now 5 years in. It took the dev team a good few months to implement the economy update last year. For them to rework the entire economy, it would take them years and the server's updates will be halted in the process. Not the mention the server wipe will likely tear apart the community and cause a lot of people to leave. So yeah... This is probably impossible and never going to happen, it'll probably destroy the server and the community in the process.

This is just a hypothetical idea. But I genuinely think if this economy rework happens successfully and money had more value, so people start RPing their cash properly, it'll be way better for the server in the long run. Because right now, money is treated as OOC funds to help you portray your character rather than actual IC money. And that I believe is the biggest thing that is preventing us from having a good server economy. How can we have a good IC economy, when most people don't even RP their cash as IC?

Edited by ScarletRose
16 hours ago, Vassilios said:

Honestly, in my opinion, an economy reset is needed. Before that, the admin team would need to decide how to re-price vehicle such that low end vehicles and high end vehicles have appropriate prices instead of the weird mix that currently exists, same with houses/apartments and all the other items that are available on the server. If money is OOC then you might as well give everyone unlimited money to do their roleplay as they bid.

An economy reset is only really viable with a server reset. I don't think players are interested in this at the moment.

Repricing vehicles is always possible, but nearly everyone underestimates the complexity of this. There is a reason the current mix is weird, because it is extremely difficult to come to an agreement on how to adjust the system. Everyone agrees it is weird now, but that doesn't mean everyone agrees on a single solution. There are many variables and OOC considerations that need to be taken into account. Some examples, players prefer fast vehicles compared to irl, vehicles do not depreciate over time, compared irl. Maintenance isn't a chore and an expense for older vehicle (models) like it is in real life. Vehicle comfort and quality are mostly irrelevant in game, where this is extremely important in real life. There are numerous other reasons beyond just the basics of realistic car model age, price, rarity, etc. This has to be looked into first, before repricing any vehicles becomes relevant.

As for the original topic. Beyond a server reset, the next best thing is to start balancing things slowly towards the middle ground again. The easiest way to resolve this (slowly) is to reduce starter payments somewhat. $200.000 is too much and causes inflation. 

Edited by mj2002
  • Upvote 1