GTA V doesn't use my dedicated GPU? + Stutters, texture losses, freezes.

Mistery14

18 minutes ago, GothAngelSinner said:

This is likely caused by the SysMain service otherwise known as Superfetch or Prefetch which collects data from programs and stores it on your OS drive to be used in the future to theoretically load things faster. This is not needed for an SSD, and can have adverse effects to the performance of your system.

Disable SysMain by opening the task manger, navigate to the services tab, click open services located at the bottom, find SysMain in the list of services, right click it, click properties, click the stop button, change startup type to disabled, apply & ok. 

I actually do use an HDD with this laptop, I plan on switching to internal SSD in the future however if it's possible to replace.

17 minutes ago, GothAngelSinner said:

If you have a Dedicated GPU, nothing will go wrong. 

I might eventually try if nothing really works, thanks a lot. It's just bizarre that every other game uses my GTX 1050 but GTA V.

On 6/4/2022 at 8:23 AM, GothAngelSinner said:

What about booting into your BIOS and disabling onboard graphics?

Most Laptops don't have a secondary GPU, his onboard is a 1050, these are integrated to save cost and improve speed.

@Mistery14 Please provide the following..

1. The specs on your hard drive/SSD. This could be a source of a bottleneck.
  2. What other games are you playing, tried or able to play? 
  3. When was the last time GTA 5 ran properly for you?

You have a GTX 1050 with 4GB of memory. Lets be clear when you post your specs, it stats it can utilize up to 8gb of video, meaning it borrows 4 from your ram (memory). In your case that would leave you with 4gb to run Windows and the game, thats pretty slim by any standard today. 

4 hours ago, zUgg zUgg said:

Most Laptops don't have a secondary GPU, his onboard is a 1050, these are integrated to save cost and improve speed.

@Mistery14 Please provide the following..

1. The specs on your hard drive/SSD. This could be a source of a bottleneck.
  2. What other games are you playing, tried or able to play? 
  3. When was the last time GTA 5 ran properly for you?

You have a GTX 1050 with 4GB of memory. Lets be clear when you post your specs, it stats it can utilize up to 8gb of video, meaning it borrows 4 from your ram (memory). In your case that would leave you with 4gb to run Windows and the game, thats pretty slim by any standard today. 

Oh no if you look at the specs I provided on the OG post you'll see that my integrated graphics is not the 1050 but it's indeed the intel HD Graphics 630 card, my dedicated GPU is the GTX 1050.

1. My HDD is a NTFS, 1TB 7200 RPM, 6Gb/s SATA disk drive from what I could gather.

2. I'm able to run games like ArmA III, Deus Ex mankind Divided, War Thunder if I'm not mistaken, Space Engineer, Conan Exiles, (Which is reasonably demanding) just fine and a lot of other games on high, very high/ultra without much issues and pretty stable FPS by my own standards. Most games I want to run, do run. I did have problems with Rust, loading into servers takes ages, but I believe it's a very common issue with Rust in general, and leans more on the HDD itself and RAM than my graphics card.

3. The reason I posted this was specifically because GTA V was initially not using my GTX 1050 when I looked at my task manager, yet when I tried it with simpler indie games like Ravenfield and Besieged, my GTX 1050 was was being used. I went into my windows settings and forced GTA V and Rage to use the High Performance graphics in Windows settings itself as opposed to my power and NVIDIA settings only, which actually did seem to do something as now task manager shows that GTA V actively uses my dedicated GPU (GPU 1, as opposed to GPU 0). I don't have the horrendous stutters and lag I had before, and when they do appear albeit less often, it's usually because there are a lot and a lot of cars parked at the same spot. The texture loss is actually pretty rare, but it does happen, but I assume it's for the same reason of Rage loading up a lot of vehicles in at the same time, which seems like a lot are experiencing regardless.

Edited by Mistery14
6 hours ago, zUgg zUgg said:

Integrated graphics is often referred to as "onboard" in most BIOS. Although the GTX 1050 is technically "onboard" as it is likely soldered into the motherboard, it is in fact a dedicated GPU which is secondary, while the iGPU is primary.  

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, $hadow said:

@Mistery14 Hey! I'm glad you managed to find a solution. Good to archive this, if you got no issues left pertaining to this topic?

After a month, well some freezing came back but it doesn't seem to be related to the GPU itself, my suspicion is RAM now as I have 8GB currently and I know it's a little problematic with games to not have at the very least 16GB. But yeah, my main concern here was about the GPU not being utilized but that seems to be fixed so far.

1 hour ago, Mistery14 said:

After a month, well some freezing came back but it doesn't seem to be related to the GPU itself, my suspicion is RAM now as I have 8GB currently and I know it's a little problematic with games to not have at the very least 16GB. But yeah, my main concern here was about the GPU not being utilized but that seems to be fixed so far.

I used to have only 8 as well. It was working fine, but eventually RAM usage ended up getting higher and higher to the point that it was constantly 100 percent, and I couldn't even open Discord with it, so yeah. After getting 8 more, it got fixed for me!

L&A

• Thanks 1
  • Nora locked this topic