[LSN] Tardiness at the Treasury….Port Authority Strike

Tardiness at the Treasury….Port Authority Strike.

By Troy Francis

A shocking situation was revealed on the evening of the 28th May 2022, as the dockworkers and Safety Officers of the San Andreas Port Authority who work tirelessly down at the Port of Los Santos descended on the Capitol building to voice their displeasure. A crowd of approximately fifteen workers were demonstrating, as their pay packets have been continuously late or paid irregularly for the last twelve months.

It has become apparent that the State Treasury has been doing the employee’s of the San Andreas Port Authority a disservice by not meeting a basic commitment, which is to ensure the employees of both the Bureau of Safety and the Bureau of Labor are paid correctly and on time. The impact of this situation on the Longshoremen/dock workers and Safety Officers should not be underestimated. Having spoken to some of those protesting, they gave accounts of some of the challenging situations in their personal lives caused by this situation. A dock worker said ‘Workers can’t pay rent, they go into debt. They have to live out of a RV,’ whilst a Safety Officer stated ‘Personally, I am late on rent and I will probably get kicked out if this doesn’t get corrected soon. Can’t afford gas to fill up my car.’ This Safety Officer, responsible for security and enforcing safety rules, has been riding a bike to work due to the lateness with which they have been paid. Why does this matter? The Port of Los Santos is the engine room of the Los Santos economy and the employees that work down at the port are an essential part of the distribution of goods across the city and the wider San Andreas state. This consistent irregularity in which they are being paid is impacting their families, their mental health and, as a result, jeopardising safety down at the port.

kQ7KW8L.png

Senator Rudy Benson and Republican Chairman Spencer talk to protesters”

It was quite the scene down at the Capitol building, as Mr Hank Preston (Director of the San Andreas Port Authority) and Mr Noah Wade (Secretary of State) went inside to come to a solution for the workers, who, rightly so, were determined to have their issues heard. After much deliberation, the Head Foreman, Paul Pontecorvo was asked to join the meeting. After which he announced to his colleagues that there is an investigation pending with the aim for the Port Authority to have direct control over pay packets. This was later confirmed in an optimistic speech from Mr Hank Preston ‘ As Director of the Port, I’ve convened with other port leadership, as well as Secretary of State Wade, to have this crisis solved, immediately. By the end of the day, an official resolution will be on the Governor's desk to return control of internal port salaries back to the Port Authority.'

4tDVxPc.png

Secretary of State Noah Wade and Senator Adrian Rossi arrive at the Capitol Building

So what is causing these problems in the treasury? According to the Secretary of State there are persistent manpower issues which are impacting the department. But also process issues due to a previous administration who decided that access to the treasury is the sole responsibility of the State Treasury which ultimately was creating continuous bottlenecks in the system leading to the problems highlighted yesterday. Interestingly other departments which are also paid by the state treasury have not been affected in the same way as the Port Authority. However Mr Wade stated ‘My office is on high-alert to ensure this doesn't reoccur anywhere else in our state departments, however no reports have been relayed to my administration yet.’.

To sum up, it appears that the flaws in process and manpower issues have been impacting the treasury and therefore the San Andreas Port Authority for some time, jeopardising workers safety and impacting their lives in a very negative way. More broadly however this issue is putting the stability of the economy at risk that every citizen in San Andreas relies upon daily. However praise can only be given to the workers who decided to stand up for their rights. It is a shame it took direct action to get the politician's to listen to their plight.

Update: 1st June - It appears that following the efforts of the workers at the docks. Salary reimbursement controls have been passed back to the Port Authority ensuring that salaries for dockworkers and Safety Officers will be paid correctly and on time. Speaking to Mr Hank Preston he stated ‘Things are looking bright for the Port of Los Santos. Workers are getting the representation they need and because of their bravery during the strike, late pay is going to be a thing of the past. I can only see this as a positive morale boost for everyone down here, something everyone can appreciate.’

> Comments are enabled

Username: 

Comment:

Edited by Jolagh
  • Upvote 9
  • Applaud 2

Username: The Hills Have Eyes

Comment: It's a shame our local government can't perform the simple task of employing a competent payroll employee. Where are our tax dollars going? Think of that when you vote next term. 

Edited by Griz

Name: Nancy Brown

Comment: what r they even getting paid for I been to the docks it's all bums, immigrants and criminals there. get a real job morons like the rest of us instead of sucki g the tax payers dry . SCUMBAGS!!!!!! 👍 

Edited by books