Police TAC-Scanners

Rekhoem

Detailed Description

Essentially, this'd place a bot in the LSPD's TAC-Channels, SAPR/LSSD/SAFM's and other equvialents on teamspeak. This bot would stream to an XM-Station and, with some delay (perhaps fifteen to thirty seconds) would mirror what is said on the TAC-Channels. 

Why? Well, it is no secret that the LEO-Factions are permitted to use voice communications for coordination where using text would lead to an unrealistic disadvantage, such as pursuits. Yet at the same time, this puts LEO-Factions at a considerable advantage over criminals in those situations. 
To mitigate the advantage a little and create some sort of balance for this, I'm proposing this suggestion to allow for the following:

-Press Members to be able to follow pursuits for news coverage without having to break the law by speeding behind the pursuit line.

-Criminals would be able to react to LEO's voice coordination with some delay.

To somewhat regulate this, a police scanner item could be added, which'd be required to access the scanner XM-Radio-Stations. Yes - there's room for abuse, such as people opening the station in their browser to listen to communications outside of their car, but... meh. Cant respect em but also cant remove them, lets not have them ruin stuff for everyone.

(also referencing this for relevance, apparently this suggestion was approved but idk the current state of it.)

Relevant Commands/Items

/tacscanner pd1-2-... / sd1-2-...  / pr1-2-... / fm1-2-... / ma1-2-... / off

Police Scanner

How will it benefit the server?

-Press Members to be able to follow pursuits for news coverage without having to break the law by speeding behind the pursuit line.

-Criminals would be able to react to LEO's voice coordination with some delay.

-Some form of balance during situations like pursuits due to LEO voice comms where criminals arent allowed this. It'd also further discourage using forbidden voice comms as you'd have no idea what is being said when listening to several voices at once.

-Added realism - police scanners like that exist irl in the USA, afaik

• Upvote 1

Absolutely not.

This would be abused and difficult to monitor those that abuse it. This is a game and we do not require 100% realism. You know for a fact every illegal character regardless of background would have a scanner. 

Police scanners exist on base frequencies. TAC channels are encrypted, you can't just pick them up with a scanner the same way you can't pick up (most) military comms. I'm fine with a scanner for PDs 911 and other factions' equivalent, but this isn't realistic.

• Upvote 3

It sounds like an interesting idea. Not sure anything like this has ever been attempted in a text server. I'd like to see it work just cause it sounds cool, but at the same time... I can see every single bored player buying one just to come and watch / interfere with every situation that goes to a TAC, which is a similar concern to what I had with the scanners. 

There are enough trolls on those scenes as is. If that aspect can be mitigated to prevent abuse of the system, then like I said... It sounds awesome, and I'd be in support of it. 

2 hours ago, Shagglehod said:

Police scanners exist on base frequencies. TAC channels are encrypted, you can't just pick them up with a scanner the same way you can't pick up (most) military comms. I'm fine with a scanner for PDs 911 and other factions' equivalent, but this isn't realistic.

This. If there can be added delay to the base /r channels so you can use them as a scanner, it makes sense & I'm for it. TAC and/or other private channels are private and encrypted for exactly this particular reason amongst others.