Too many foreign characters?

Dustyboi

Exactly what the subject title asks.

I understand most people are more comfortable RPing a character with a similar culture to what they have in real life, but it feels like a self insert most of the time.

This is something that shows up on every side of the spectrum.

Police calling people "mate", every OC/street thug being the old-country cousin of a criminal which for some reason immediately means they're fine with being a criminal as well once they come to LS, just to name a few.

For the average foreigner civilian,

With the reputation LS would have, it'd be like willingly moving to Juarez Mexico and then complaining about the crime going on around you like you wouldn't already know about it beforehand. 

Not telling anyone how to play, just wondering if anyone else sees it as kind of stupid.

• Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, Dustyboi said:

Exactly what the subject title asks.

I understand most people are more comfortable RPing a character with a similar culture to what they have in real life, but it feels like a self insert most of the time.

This is something that shows up on every side of the spectrum.

Police calling people "mate", every OC/street thug being the old-country cousin of a criminal which for some reason immediately means they're fine with being a criminal as well once they come to LS, just to name a few.

For the average foreigner civilian,

With the reputation LS would have, it'd be like willingly moving to Juarez Mexico and then complaining about the crime going on around you like you wouldn't already know about it beforehand. 

Not telling anyone how to play, just wondering if anyone else sees it as kind of stupid.

oi m8 yer cont fookin say tings like dat bruv

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Juanito_Mendez said:

Game is based on USA. Looks more decent than USA to be honest 🤣

Pretty sad there aren't more people rping homeless people. And that would be a perfect picture of USA.

Maybe you should find a server based in Sweeden 🤣

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

On one hand, it is a bit jarring to see so many British people.

On the other hand, is an immigrant character worse than a native whose player clearly isn't familiar with the culture?

If I have to choose between someone playing their own ( International ) culture properly and a native one badly, I'd choose the former.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
  • Upvote 1
Just now, pateuvasiliu said:

If I have to choose between someone playing their own ( International ) culture properly and a native one badly, I'd choose the former.

I was going to write a post about how it's weird that americans are the minority, but you know what. you're right. it 100% is weird to see people talking like they're fresh off the boat from the UK, but it's better than them RPing something they don't know

• Upvote 1
  • Auntie locked this topic