As a regular citizen, how much should I fear Character Kills?

Nyami

GTAW has a weird portrayal contradiction when it comes to high ranking criminals dusting street-level civilians for snitching.

Yes, the dangerous criminal you're portraying IRL would have someone killed for personally snitching on them or calling the cops, the problem comes when these extremely high ranking criminals that WOULD have the power to pull them strings are stomping around on the streets like petty hoodlums and tweakers intentionally causing trouble that someone on their level of hinkery would never do IRL, using their character's status as an excuse to kill.

Yeah cool, your character is on parole and slaughtered millions of people in the past while selling trillions of dollars worth of guns for his criminal empire so he can NEVER go back to jail, but why is he picking random fights and randomly provoking civilians in public if he's got so much to lose? Why must other players be forced to abide by some strict "fear rp" trembling in your presence to put down the phone or keep quiet when your portrayal of a high ranking criminal is hotdog water and shouldn't be happening in the first place? Fear RP goes both ways, even if GTAW would have you think otherwise. 

Edited by BINGBONGBALONEY
  • Upvote 9

My convict character would probably ask if you saw the recent ep of Bubblegum Princess.

Tbh your CK rate would be 0.01% chance it really varies on your type of rp and for illegal rp there are the good and bad like every other category of rp style youll get your usual power trip/ OOC ego people but you’ll get your chill ones and people you enjoy rping with

Edited by PrinceCane
4 hours ago, BINGBONGBALONEY said:

GTAW has a weird portrayal contradiction when it comes to high ranking criminals dusting street-level civilians for snitching.

Yes, the dangerous criminal you're portraying IRL would have someone killed for personally snitching on them or calling the cops, the problem comes when these extremely high ranking criminals that WOULD have the power to pull them strings are stomping around on the streets like petty hoodlums and tweakers intentionally causing trouble that someone on their level of hinkery would never do IRL, using their character's status as an excuse to kill.

Yeah cool, your character is on parole and slaughtered millions of people in the past while selling trillions of dollars worth of guns for his criminal empire so he can NEVER go back to jail, but why is he picking random fights and randomly provoking civilians in public if he's got so much to lose? Why must other players be forced to abide by some strict "fear rp" trembling in your presence to put down the phone or keep quiet when your portrayal of a high ranking criminal is hotdog water and shouldn't be happening in the first place? Fear RP goes both ways, even if GTAW would have you think otherwise. 

It's always "It happens IRL bro, so I can do this" but when the gun is turned around on them they cry it's unrealistic or not fair for them.

Looking at the reports/videos it's amazing how criminal RPers can get away with escalating a simple robbery into a murder in a residential area which realistically would have tons of witnesses from the moment they started shouting. I started posting on this thread saying how "don't do anything crazy and don't worry" but jesus it does look like civilians are at the mercy of criminal rpers. you want civilians to fear rp, make criminals fear jail becuase realistically? commit a crime at the right time and never go ot jail ever.

On 5/30/2022 at 4:28 AM, Engelbert said:

Don't wanna be extorted? Don't open a business.

I would hate to see this being taken seriously. Businesses that are run by people who actually want to run businesses and not use it as a 2 hours per week laundering front are a requirement for passive RP to take place not just for 'civilians' but people who want to conduct their illicit passive RP inside, be it a meeting, or a hangout or a means to passively surveil the public and that corner of the city. Businesses and civilian/legal ventures keep the wheel turning for the server and stop it from becoming one note, outright. 

I could see what's left of civilian RP tanking even further without these avenues and opportunities. Already, a lot of people just go to their apartments to hang out or look for ways to avoid being actively robbed X many times a week for existing or being in a shootout because they wanted a coffee in-character. That takes people out of the public sphere. That makes them inert as characters. That means storytelling is being cut off at the neck. And that, like this thread, is highlighting another continuity problem this server has. 

The playerbase and the administration seem very undecided about what is realistic and what is not in a server that is supposed to represent millions of people but caps at approx. 700 players at peak hours. This indecision seems to mean that what happens in-character and what's realistic in character exists almost in a vacuum, moment to moment. It depends on the players you encounter or even the admin if it becomes a report, which is then subject to bias and/or disparate views on server-realism and is subject to change per report. It's not fixed. It's not regulated properly. 

Continuity and an agreement on the 'roleplay universe' we're roleplaying in needs to be firmly established and cemented. 

Edited by shrike.
  • Upvote 4
  • Applaud 1
28 minutes ago, cruelhoney said:

Looking at the reports/videos it's amazing how criminal RPers can get away with escalating a simple robbery into a murder in a residential area which realistically would have tons of witnesses from the moment they started shouting. I started posting on this thread saying how "don't do anything crazy and don't worry" but jesus it does look like civilians are at the mercy of criminal rpers. you want civilians to fear rp, make criminals fear jail becuase realistically? commit a crime at the right time and never go ot jail ever.

This boils down to the fact that we still have an inconsistent policy on how the city is supposed to be portrayed. I’ve seen some Admins uphold reports saying “there would be people there, this isn’t realistic” and other Admins outright ignore that fact in favor of “there was no one actually there, so no one saw it”. The previous IFM regime ruled that we don’t pretend people are there, so if no one is ACTUALLY there, that’s how we take it IC. It’s never made sense. No one has ever clarified on it. It’s just this huge grey area that’s been left up to interpretation.

26 minutes ago, Brofessor said:

The previous IFM regime ruled that we don’t pretend people are there,

Even if this isn't a case, people are purposely playing the game/"rping theft" in ways that abuses the fact that it is a game. Rob people like that video @orca112 posted for the Silva dude. IRL? Are you really going to rob someone with guns in their drive way?? no because cops would be around the corner, people would be watching - it makes 0 sense. If the streets are dead ICly, there is literally NOTHING people can do IC to change that because thats the limitations of the game. Civilains can get CKed for reporting to the cops?

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, cruelhoney said:

If the streets are dead ICly, there is literally NOTHING people can do IC to change that because thats the limitations of the game. Civilains can get CKed for reporting to the cops?

This is something I’ve been arguing from the day Bospy made that ruling. Even got temp banned on the forums for it lol. Civilians are a literal punching bag. It’s not going to change either without a huge shift in policy and I just don’t see it happening. It’s going to eventually lead to the decline of the server, in my opinion. The server won’t really die, but it’s going to be nothing but cops, robbers and DM mentality down the road. Our business scene suffers SO much and it’s not surprising at all to see why it is the way it is now. 

42 minutes ago, cruelhoney said:

Even if this isn't a case, people are purposely playing the game/"rping theft" in ways that abuses the fact that it is a game. Rob people like that video @orca112 posted for the Silva dude. IRL? Are you really going to rob someone with guns in their drive way?? no because cops would be around the corner, people would be watching - it makes 0 sense. If the streets are dead ICly, there is literally NOTHING people can do IC to change that because thats the limitations of the game. Civilains can get CKed for reporting to the cops?

Not just that, but a realistic thing would be for Silva to back up and for the criminals to not shoot. Why? Because if you shoot realistically there'd be a higher chance you'd get caught and sent to jail for 25 years. Been to jail already? It might turn into life. Criminal roleplayers often don't roleplay fear themselves, the ones who are always expected to roleplay fear are the punching bags civilian roleplayers.

2 minutes ago, Brofessor said:

This is something I’ve been arguing from the day Bospy made that ruling. Even got temp banned on the forums for it lol.

Thank you for your service.

Edited by Jeroen
  • Applaud 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic