[OPINIONS/FEEDBACK] The LEASING side of Property Management

Wuhtah

Property Leases

In my honest opinion - outside of garages due to the low supply and high demand - a set list of lease businesses is a little dated.   I'd much rather see the rest of the lease businesses set as request businesses; with a change to all request businesses being an option to lease OR own.   Pair this with much higher costs to own rather than leasing and it'll make more people opt for the leasing route over ownership.   It will bring down the already steep hill for a player to get a business without having to stress about how they are going to justify a 300k clubhouse for a newer Motorcycle Club, or how their character could realistically buy a storefront to sell shoes out of for their first venture into the business world.  

Take out the extra workload for yourselves and make all businesses from now on much more attractive as a lease business, and in doing so you'll no longer need to worry about people unrealistically farming for assets because they want a tattoo parlour that isn't on an already fairly specific list.  You could also add garages to this method by just not offering a sale price on them.

Hell, get some more roleplay out of it by setting up a leasing agency for members of Property Management and you'll get to experience the players requesting the property's roleplay firsthand too.  

To prevent people buying just to try and sell down the line - set the purchase rate for any property as 24 months lease + 10%.  It's not entirely unreasonable for every business on a high street to be leased as the majority of people running a single business and not a huge corporate enterprise can't afford the real estate cost and the upkeep, so why not stick to that for all businesses going forward?

Vehicle Leases

Leasing a vehicle on GTA:W is fairly uncommon, whereas in real life around 25% of new cars leaving the lot in America? They're on lease and not privately owned.  (Source)

If vehicle leases are going to be open permanently, that's great but let's not just stick to the work-specific cars and the expensive cars.  I'd love to see a set-list of cheap, automatically accepted cars for people who don't have debt on their character.  Even if these are few and far between it'd make people less interested in grinding for cars, and could be used as an opportunity to make certain less popular vehicles show up on the streets again. Sure, the uptake won't be massive but it'd be a great options for new players, especially if they could get pointed towards a system like that instead of just a tutorial telling them to buy a $600 car which they'll either scrap in a few hours or keep for far too long as it's basically free.

To counteract abuse - which the current airport system can't protect against? You could even look at charging the full value of the car to the leasing party if the car is impounded for more than 24 hours, and take the car away.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally I think all business properties should start as a lease and only be purchasable after a set amount of time based on verified activity of actually running the business rather than simply sitting on the property and opening once a month. 3 months is a good time, in my opinion. Not only does this consolidate requests, it also ensures people are serious about the property they are leasing and cuts down on those who purchase just to flip a few weeks later. Let’s be honest, this does happen. Activity checks are also now in one list. 

Edited by Brofessor
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Brofessor said:

Personally I think all business properties should start as a lease and only be purchasable after a set amount of time based on verified activity of actually running the business rather than simply sitting on the property and opening once a month. 3 months is a good time, in my opinion. Not only does this consolidate requests, it also ensures people are serious about the property they are leasing and cuts down on those who purchase just to flip a few weeks later. Let’s be honest, this does happen. Activity checks are also now in one list. 

That's actually a really cool idea. I'll bring this up internally.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Brofessor said:

I disagree. People buy properties to fix and flip all the time. New businesses requested through PM? Sure, lease them to ensure the person is serious and capable. 

Selling existing businesses to other players? Nah. No need for more and useless oversight. As of right now it already takes 2 weeks to get a lease approval. Imagine how long it would take if you threw admins having to over see EVERY business sale in the mix?

21 minutes ago, Fergie said:

I disagree. People buy properties to fix and flip all the time. New businesses requested through PM? Sure, lease them to ensure the person is serious and capable. 

Selling existing businesses to other players? Nah. No need for more and useless oversight. As of right now it already takes 2 weeks to get a lease approval. Imagine how long it would take if you threw admins having to over see EVERY business sale in the mix?

I suppose I didn’t convey it clearly, but we’re basically on the same page. Moving forward, new businesses (requests) should all be leased first.

There’s no feasible way to take back existing purchased businesses and convert them into a lease without a lot of logistical issues anyways. Refunds, player notifications of the change, a whole bunch of stuff. 

Edited by Brofessor
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Phased said:

Property Leases

In my honest opinion - outside of garages due to the low supply and high demand - a set list of lease businesses is a little dated.   I'd much rather see the rest of the lease businesses set as request businesses; with a change to all request businesses being an option to lease OR own.   Pair this with much higher costs to own rather than leasing and it'll make more people opt for the leasing route over ownership.   It will bring down the already steep hill for a player to get a business without having to stress about how they are going to justify a 300k clubhouse for a newer Motorcycle Club, or how their character could realistically buy a storefront to sell shoes out of for their first venture into the business world.  

Take out the extra workload for yourselves and make all businesses from now on much more attractive as a lease business, and in doing so you'll no longer need to worry about people unrealistically farming for assets because they want a tattoo parlour that isn't on an already fairly specific list.  You could also add garages to this method by just not offering a sale price on them.

Hell, get some more roleplay out of it by setting up a leasing agency for members of Property Management and you'll get to experience the players requesting the property's roleplay firsthand too.  

To prevent people buying just to try and sell down the line - set the purchase rate for any property as 24 months lease + 10%.  It's not entirely unreasonable for every business on a high street to be leased as the majority of people running a single business and not a huge corporate enterprise can't afford the real estate cost and the upkeep, so why not stick to that for all businesses going forward?

Vehicle Leases

Leasing a vehicle on GTA:W is fairly uncommon, whereas in real life around 25% of new cars leaving the lot in America? They're on lease and not privately owned.  (Source)

If vehicle leases are going to be open permanently, that's great but let's not just stick to the work-specific cars and the expensive cars.  I'd love to see a set-list of cheap, automatically accepted cars for people who don't have debt on their character.  Even if these are few and far between it'd make people less interested in grinding for cars, and could be used as an opportunity to make certain less popular vehicles show up on the streets again. Sure, the uptake won't be massive but it'd be a great options for new players, especially if they could get pointed towards a system like that instead of just a tutorial telling them to buy a $600 car which they'll either scrap in a few hours or keep for far too long as it's basically free.

To counteract abuse - which the current airport system can't protect against? You could even look at charging the full value of the car to the leasing party if the car is impounded for more than 24 hours, and take the car away.

Majority of the businesses on the server are player owned. Leases are a select number of businesses which is it help us keep track of how many there are and what/who is active. This won't change as this is detrimental to the Property Management team.

If it was only leases, I would understand your point of view. But as it stands, businesses are 20% leases, 80% player owned (requests).

Raising the cost of things is not going to happen. We already have people complaining about 3 million dollar properties on Grove Street or Paleto Bay. I see no need to raise prices for businesses and further mess up the economy.

There will be a lease to buy option that is less secretive moving forward as we've been working out the kinks for a bit now.

Leasing a vehicle on GTAW is more common than you think as the person who sees them every time we get 50 requests for leased vehicles.

The leased vehicles that will be up are the ones already implemented in dealerships. Not special ones.

1 hour ago, Wuhtah said:

There will be a lease to buy option that is less secretive moving forward as we've been working out the kinks for a bit now.

Leasing a vehicle on GTAW is more common than you think as the person who sees them every time we get 50 requests for leased vehicles.

The leased vehicles that will be up are the ones already implemented in dealerships. Not special ones.

I too would like to know more about this. As someone a few posts above asked, there are a number of vehicles that are not on the regular lease list. For example one that I would very much like to get my hands on, that aren't anything "Special" on paper. Take the Winky in my case. It's not on the regular list of vehicles, it's certainly not blisteringly fast. Will vehicles like that be more easily accessible to the regular playerbase? Why are vehicles like this locked behind leases in the first place when they could very easily be introduced in dealerships. 

14 hours ago, Brofessor said:

I don't think a lot of flipping happens for commercial properties, it's not worth it. It does? I mean that sounds great, I wish people were selling their commercial properties often so there was a market.

Not all commercial properties activity can be measured by how often they publicly open either.
So if you draw a hard line this sounds like unneeded pressure, 3 months I probably hadn't even finished mapping for a new property. Once a month can be plenty sufficient for some type of businesses too. I also think people who make a request already are serious, it's a lot of effort to begin with I think. But things change and this is a game so even if you were planning to open several times a week it might not be the case, or it might be for a period of time. It is very easy to burn out too so I totally understand some businesses seemingly being closed for long time periods, many places come back into activity though. And I think that is fine, this kind of leeway is needed to allow some sorta continuity.

But sure you can have some sort of lease handler or w/e  on an individual basis if there's time for that kind of overhead admin work..

11 hours ago, Kenshi Haroku said:

I too would like to know more about this. As someone a few posts above asked, there are a number of vehicles that are not on the regular lease list. For example one that I would very much like to get my hands on, that aren't anything "Special" on paper. Take the Winky in my case. It's not on the regular list of vehicles, it's certainly not blisteringly fast. Will vehicles like that be more easily accessible to the regular playerbase? Why are vehicles like this locked behind leases in the first place when they could very easily be introduced in dealerships. 

We have a Property Management break coming up that I am hoping that we can push out a lot of stuff during. We all still have IRL responsibilities, so it might just be a bit more delayed. So, hopefully I'll have the Lease to Buy option available. It'll be just like a mortgage for the house requests, you lease it monthly until you pay up to the full MP!

As for the vehicles, I came into the server like that and the Property Management team for vehicles to be like that. I personally do not know why, but that is also we're trying to fix. There's plenty of vehicles that should be in the dealerships, so we just need to go through them and do that.

I can't promise that it won't be available via dealerships, but I do want to make it a lot easier for players to then request them. I can only do so much from my side, I know the developers are very busy, so I am trying to make it as easy as possible before I present the idea to them where they can just plug it in and that's that. (I don't know if that's how it works or not.) If this isn't possible, then I'll do the next best thing which... I will come up with.

30 minutes ago, Wuhtah said:

As for the vehicles, I came into the server like that and the Property Management team for vehicles to be like that. I personally do not know why, but that is also we're trying to fix. There's plenty of vehicles that should be in the dealerships, so we just need to go through them and do that.

I'll send you something regarding that - but essentially I've touched bases with Management on several occasions about adding new vehicles - if players would like to provide their ideas for new vehicles to be added and what appropriate prices you'd like to see, I'm happy to push Management and Dev for it 🙂

• Wuhtah locked this topic