Davis High School RP - Opinion thread

H04X

18 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

This is discussed every few months several times, yet there is no school standing. Why could that be...?

No one takes the initiative. And when they do, there is 3rd party pressure to shut it down. Why the persistence? Because there is a market for this project and members of the community are asking for this. 

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, hugopereira100 said:

Absolutely not needed. 

25 minutes ago, Cartoonhead said:

Same answer i give every time someone suggests this... fuck no.

Could you elaborate on why that is? The whole point of the thread is to collect opinion from various community members. "No" isn't that easy to work with.

23 minutes ago, H04X said:

No one takes the initiative. And when they do, there is 3rd party pressure to shut it down. Why the persistence? Because there is a market for this project and members of the community are asking for this. 

If the community wants something so badly perhaps players could stop being icecold gangstas for a bit and give project staff something to work with instead of robbing them, taxing them or beating them up everytime they dare to open then maybe there would be more projects. Is it any wonder nobody wants to take the initiative?

I think @Alyssa McCarthy's idea could be a pretty good middle ground though, as long as it's kept separate from the campus itself. Perhaps at a different facility?

Edited by Moonsong

As a member of ULSA's faculty from summer till now, and strictly faculty, as well as wearing the current hat of Chancellor, many of the challenges that would be met with this kind of project, are challenges that I'm meeting already. So I'll start bullet pointing all of my thoughts on any kind of "education faction" and hopefully it will help you form a more clear image on how this might become a reality.

If you're looking for realistic portrayal, take into account the following:

- classes generally do not happen at night

- a high school in Davis (unlike a university) will most likely NOT attract students from the wealthiest parts of the city. It would be "bad portrayal" for a Richman or Rockford kid to go to Davis high. So this part of portrayal will need to either be thrown out of the window, or this project should limit its student population to areas that make sense to be there. 

- during peak hours the high school should serve more as a hub for people to congregate,play sports, listen to music and/or night school for older, poorer adults that want to complete their GED in order to get into higher education or a better paying job. 

- security in high schools are not the same as security in a university. We're talking batons at best, versus gang bangers with Glocks

As far as personnel to comprise this project, again, based on my experience with ULSA, and leaving students aside that will obviously be the "main focus"

- It's better to focus on administrative and disciplinary personnel, rather than teachers. Administrative personnel will always have RP to do and will never feel un/underappreciated. I've come to this realization very recently:

- a student in such a group simply needs to show up, with zero preparation

- a teacher in such a group needs to devote X amount of hours to prepare their material. Asking people to keep devoting hours for empty or unappreciated classes, burns them out and demotivates them. 

- you will most definitely need a method to track attendance, and this method needs to be based on "students online" with no penalty or pressure to those not online at the time.

Also, people joining this high school should have a clear image about what they're doing and why. It is assumed that the kids that actually go to school and don't drop out to hustle 24/7 have some sort of goal they're trying to achieve. Sure, you'll have your high school dealers, you'll have your school gang reps, but ultimately all of these groups should have a reason to stay in school rather than not for some goal. Doing stupid shit that would get them expelled should be the guiding factor in what to avoid. For some group being in school may be access to customers for drugs, for others it may be gang representation. Ultimately, it may be best if all illegals in the school are somehow tied to another group - official or not - who would ideally "smack them" if they become the reason for their group to lose access in the school.

These are my immediate thoughts, on top of everything others have suggested so far. From my perspective having a high school would only add to the server, but the caveats are many! I hope you'll manage to get through all of them!

• Upvote 1

As a ULSA faculty only character for close to two years, take this as an opinion piece through and through. I have virtually no experience with any south-central character, nor have I played as one. I wish to share the potential for positivity I see in the south-central roleplay community.

Davis High School could be interesting to see. The most important part is establishing the foundation and ensuring that you advertise that foundation to the community.

From my perspective, realistic high school educational roleplay is most likely not work. It would be too hard to immerse yourself when the education roleplay occurs during the evening or server peak. Therefore what you want to focus on is recess/social ornated roleplay.

Let us get back to establishing the foundation. Whoever decides to greenlight this need to ensure that they are showing the high school as a legal extension of the south-central community; the high school is and should be made primarily for the south-central community. Picking the principal should prioritize older characters from south-central (I prefer OOC leaders and IC leaders to be separated, letting people play any character they like but still being able to lead the faction OOC: ly). Probably the wrong term to use, but gentrifying Davis high school with many legal characters from the other side of the city is inappropriate.

Secondly, the leaders need to understand the characters' culture and the community to provide a legal extension of the south-central community. Most character stories will be of troubled kids who don't listen to authority. These kids probably misunderstand and wrongfully imitate their parental figures to earn respect among their peers. Preserving that theme should be a top priority. Faculty shouldn't join to fix Minor characters, but instead, keep them in line like high school usually does.

Faculty in ULSA can help faculty in the high school, and development can naturally occur there. I already know that ULSA would instantly be interested in coming down to the school, hosting events for their students, and inviting Davis High School to a wide range of suitable activities. They could help with funding and development or liaison on projects like scholarships and academics. Finally, emphasis should be on showing a calmer, more welcoming side of south-central across the board.

LSPD could perhaps extend their community officer program and get calmer, more civil interactions between Minor characters and the police. They could build trust and form meaningful character stories.

The last point I want to make is to promote cultural activities and, more importantly, promote SPORTS. I am not very much into sports myself, but I can tell that sports bring people together. The leaders should take advantage of that; high school basketball, football, softball, anything you can imagine could take place, and I am sure ULSA would be more than willing to share our methods of simulating games.

None of this can be possible without people respecting the leaders' effort and work put in. The leader must know how to weed out down-right players with ill intentions on an OOC level, encourage or at least hear out those with experimental or alternative intentions/ideas and promote/encourage those with positive intentions.

Wrap all of this up with a LFM team who trusts and respects the leaders and you have potentially a great avenue for all roleplayers in south-central.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, disnep said:

As a ULSA faculty only character for close to two years, take this as an opinion piece through and through. I have virtually no experience with any south-central character, nor have I played as one. I wish to share the potential for positivity I see in the south-central roleplay community.

Davis High School could be interesting to see. The most important part is establishing the foundation and ensuring that you advertise that foundation to the community.

From my perspective, realistic high school educational roleplay is most likely not work. It would be too hard to immerse yourself when the education roleplay occurs during the evening or server peak. Therefore what you want to focus on is recess/social ornated roleplay.

Let us get back to establishing the foundation. Whoever decides to greenlight this need to ensure that they are showing the high school as a legal extension of the south-central community; the high school is and should be made primarily for the south-central community. Picking the principal should prioritize older characters from south-central (I prefer OOC leaders and IC leaders to be separated, letting people play any character they like but still being able to lead the faction OOC: ly). Probably the wrong term to use, but gentrifying Davis high school with many legal characters from the other side of the city is inappropriate.

Secondly, the leaders need to understand the characters' culture and the community to provide a legal extension of the south-central community. Most character stories will be of troubled kids who don't listen to authority. These kids probably misunderstand and wrongfully imitate their parental figures to earn respect among their peers. Preserving that theme should be a top priority. Faculty shouldn't join to fix Minor characters, but instead, keep them in line like high school usually does.

Faculty in ULSA can help faculty in the high school, and development can naturally occur there. I already know that ULSA would instantly be interested in coming down to the school, hosting events for their students, and inviting Davis High School to a wide range of suitable activities. They could help with funding and development or liaison on projects like scholarships and academics. Finally, emphasis should be on showing a calmer, more welcoming side of south-central across the board.

LSPD could perhaps extend their community officer program and get calmer, more civil interactions between Minor characters and the police. They could build trust and form meaningful character stories.

The last point I want to make is to promote cultural activities and, more importantly, promote SPORTS. I am not very much into sports myself, but I can tell that sports bring people together. The leaders should take advantage of that; high school basketball, football, softball, anything you can imagine could take place, and I am sure ULSA would be more than willing to share our methods of simulating games.

None of this can be possible without people respecting the leaders' effort and work put in. The leader must know how to weed out down-right players with ill intentions on an OOC level, encourage or at least hear out those with experimental or alternative intentions/ideas and promote/encourage those with positive intentions.

Wrap all of this up with a LFM team who trusts and respects the leaders and you have potentially a great avenue for all roleplayers in south-central.

58 minutes ago, Kraethas said:

As a member of ULSA's faculty from summer till now, and strictly faculty, as well as wearing the current hat of Chancellor, many of the challenges that would be met with this kind of project, are challenges that I'm meeting already. So I'll start bullet pointing all of my thoughts on any kind of "education faction" and hopefully it will help you form a more clear image on how this might become a reality.

If you're looking for realistic portrayal, take into account the following:

- classes generally do not happen at night

- a high school in Davis (unlike a university) will most likely NOT attract students from the wealthiest parts of the city. It would be "bad portrayal" for a Richman or Rockford kid to go to Davis high. So this part of portrayal will need to either be thrown out of the window, or this project should limit its student population to areas that make sense to be there. 

- during peak hours the high school should serve more as a hub for people to congregate,play sports, listen to music and/or night school for older, poorer adults that want to complete their GED in order to get into higher education or a better paying job. 

- security in high schools are not the same as security in a university. We're talking batons at best, versus gang bangers with Glocks

As far as personnel to comprise this project, again, based on my experience with ULSA, and leaving students aside that will obviously be the "main focus"

- It's better to focus on administrative and disciplinary personnel, rather than teachers. Administrative personnel will always have RP to do and will never feel un/underappreciated. I've come to this realization very recently:

- a student in such a group simply needs to show up, with zero preparation

- a teacher in such a group needs to devote X amount of hours to prepare their material. Asking people to keep devoting hours for empty or unappreciated classes, burns them out and demotivates them. 

- you will most definitely need a method to track attendance, and this method needs to be based on "students online" with no penalty or pressure to those not online at the time.

Also, people joining this high school should have a clear image about what they're doing and why. It is assumed that the kids that actually go to school and don't drop out to hustle 24/7 have some sort of goal they're trying to achieve. Sure, you'll have your high school dealers, you'll have your school gang reps, but ultimately all of these groups should have a reason to stay in school rather than not for some goal. Doing stupid shit that would get them expelled should be the guiding factor in what to avoid. For some group being in school may be access to customers for drugs, for others it may be gang representation. Ultimately, it may be best if all illegals in the school are somehow tied to another group - official or not - who would ideally "smack them" if they become the reason for their group to lose access in the school.

These are my immediate thoughts, on top of everything others have suggested so far. From my perspective having a high school would only add to the server, but the caveats are many! I hope you'll manage to get through all of them!

What they said, mostly people are saying no to this are people who downplay the south-central area roleplay Legal Role-players. Like what is the reason why illegal south central players shouldn't have this? The main things people say is "School shooters" (Banned) "ERP" (Minors cant Erp) "Guns" (Banned). Most of legal role-players downplay on illegal role-players capability. Everyone always complain about how Illegal South Central roleplayers rob and shoot all day. Well I feel like implementing a High School System in Davis will allow alot of Passive RP for South Central Roleplayers

1 minute ago, Yoak said:

Your Anger Harms Your Baby Emotionally, Says Science

davis rpers when their suggestions get voted no to

It's only People who don't RP in Davis saying this👎 Y'all literally down vote on anything to do with Davis RPers because you died to one of them and now have a hatred for them😭

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Dum Handz said:

It's only People who don't RP in Davis saying this👎 Y'all literally down vote on anything to do with Davis RPers because you died to one of them and now have a hatred for them😭

Nah, yet to die or even roleplay around them recently just not a fan of a highschool rp scene 🙂

• Wuhtah locked this topic