Flexible rules against poor portrayal of house market

Detailed Description

As you may have seen before, some forum ads about houses/properties are sometimes a bit off in terms of looking for a buyer - I won't name names here, but they simply write "I don't care who gets it, as long as it's the highest bidder" - this usually turns into a battle of whoever has more money and eventually people that are richer will get places in which their character(s) would not live( ex: bidding for a house in Davis when your character lives Downtown but you'll take it and sell it to make profit later on). I think you get the idea.

Currently, there's no rule that says you're not allowed to do that, and people are free to sell their properties to anyone, including the wrong people, so that's how neighborhood roleplay is destroyed in some places where it could have a lot of potential, and it's just a matter of money. We all know how strict PM is when it comes to property requests, especially for that - because the housing market is difficult at the moment and you don't want to give out a property to the wrong people.

Furthermore, I know some of you are aware that I roleplay in the county and this is the case there (people from Los Santos asking for properties for a 'vacation house' in a town like Sandy makes no sense, but they eventually get a property while locals have to live in the motel or in RVs), but this problem is everywhere. It gets harder and harder to find a place anywhere on the map because someone with more money will buy it, even though their character(s) have nothing to do with the area. 

Relevant Commands/Items

How will it benefit the server?

1 - we will no longer see characters that are out of the place in these areas, from rich people living in rough neighborhoods to random town people living in Paleto or Sandy, etc.

2 - better neighborhood roleplay. I know this isn't something very popular, but for smaller neighborhoods this is something very fun. Personally, I host barbecues in my backyard with the people that are living around me, and I wouldn't want to have neighbors that are out of the context 100% (just like the examples I gave above). 

Admins will be able to stop any selling that takes place and it's forbidden by this rule - the buyer's character has nothing to do with the environment/neighborhood of the house. Basically, they can take care that no property is sold to the wrong player in terms of character portrayal.

hopefully this was explained enough. 

thanks,

socrates

Edited by socrates
  • Upvote 1

This is already a rule, albeit somewhat loosely enforced on PM's part.

Under section 1.5 - Property Owning: Consider how realistic it is for your character to live in certain areas. We want to promote neighborhood roleplay. The following are examples of poor portrayal, and if you do not have appropriate development or reason to live in a specific area, then you may become subject to losing your property

Would be better for PM to buy the house from the seller that doesn’t care who gets it, reimburse them for the money they paid or the mp x3 + fp. And then carry out the auctions that they are currently doing with some properties right now 

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Jura said:

Would be better for PM to buy the house from the seller that doesn’t care who gets it, reimburse them for the money they paid or the mp x3 + fp. And then carry out the auctions that they are currently doing with some properties right now 

Yes but problem with that is…. They don’t want mp x3 + fp. They want more.

The rule exists but problem is we have to act on it after the fact. I’m not going to point fingers or make any examples but if someone buys a house where it would be deemed unrealistic for their character it becomes a PM and RPQM investigation.

I understand this is focused more towards county houses and we are looking for more ways to make more houses available or have more houses in the county.

I can see both sides of the coin on this one.

I'm sick of seeing houses that are seemingly vacant in the county that turns out to be owned by some big wig that RPs solely in the city. It isn't fair to people that want to have county chars when there's such a shortage in housing to begin with.

I can also see that IRL people can buy houses wherever they want and have vacation homes too, but we aren't RPing in a land where there's billions of houses to choose from. If anyone is like me, they don't give enough of a shit to put in a report about a house that appears to be vacant unless they're the ones that will get that house.

I'm almost leaning towards the idea that PM or some entity needs to be checking buyers for county properties when they're sold from the owner specifically. I get that that would be a ton of work, but how else would we make it fair to everyone? It's like we can never win. Sellers of county properties tack onto their ads that they want the "right" character to move in; people get upset about it. If PM did a background check on every char that put up the highest bid; people would get upset.

There needs to be a final vote on what the hell we're gonna do about the housing and then slap up some clear cut rules about it, because the highest bidder is usually not the right buyer.

10 hours ago, Slou said:

This is already a rule, albeit somewhat loosely enforced on PM's part.

Under section 1.5 - Property Owning: Consider how realistic it is for your character to live in certain areas. We want to promote neighborhood roleplay. The following are examples of poor portrayal, and if you do not have appropriate development or reason to live in a specific area, then you may become subject to losing your property

I spoke with PM and they told me that they need a proper rule, while this one still exists, they might want something more directed to this issue. 

9 hours ago, radreaper100 said:

i can buy a home anywhere irl if i have the cash and credit broski

While this is true, this is not real life and even in real life, the situations where a rich guy buys a house in the projects is quite rare and usually doesn't happen. Also, we have a very limited number of houses here and we all struggle to find a proper place to roleplay.

7 hours ago, Don't@Me said:

I can see both sides of the coin on this one.

I'm sick of seeing houses that are seemingly vacant in the county that turns out to be owned by some big wig that RPs solely in the city. It isn't fair to people that want to have county chars when there's such a shortage in housing to begin with.

I can also see that IRL people can buy houses wherever they want and have vacation homes too, but we aren't RPing in a land where there's billions of houses to choose from. If anyone is like me, they don't give enough of a shit to put in a report about a house that appears to be vacant unless they're the ones that will get that house.

I'm almost leaning towards the idea that PM or some entity needs to be checking buyers for county properties when they're sold from the owner specifically. I get that that would be a ton of work, but how else would we make it fair to everyone? It's like we can never win. Sellers of county properties tack onto their ads that they want the "right" character to move in; people get upset about it. If PM did a background check on every char that put up the highest bid; people would get upset.

There needs to be a final vote on what the hell we're gonna do about the housing and then slap up some clear cut rules about it, because the highest bidder is usually not the right buyer.

I totally agree with you, and not just for the county properties - but all areas where there's a huge struggle to find a place to buy or even rent. 

8 hours ago, Frezemis said:

I’m not going to point fingers or make any examples

Keep in mind that examples might not only serve to shame people (Pointing fingers), they could serve as valuable precendence cases to define to us players what's wanted and what not.

After all, beyond the common-sense approach to not buy ghetto as rich business person and vice versa, there's not too many explicit guidelines.

While the upside of this is it gives staff a lot of freedom to lay out rules when distributing property, this is also the downside as it demands individual decision finding for each and every single property handed out, massively slowing down the process opposed to a system where one would have to fulfill certain defined elegibility standards to apply for X (Which in return staff could then apply simpler on applicants to handle the process faster).

8 hours ago, Frezemis said:

Yes but problem with that is…. They don’t want mp x3 + fp. They want more.

The question is:

Does this have to an option?

I get that the current split setup is a sort of compromise to not "take assets of players who worked long to get them" but this sentence alone is highly concerning (as it mixes ic assets with ooc effort already which to a degree should be granted for everyone playing, not just property applicants, while at the same time it is characters defining what properties suit, not players behind them).

In practice, however, the currently developed system leads to the absurd situation that cheap ass Sandy Shore trailers are desired speculation objects -as one is allowed to sell them freely- while in parts of the town where this'd make sense to leech off rich people, let's say Vinewood or Rockford, it can't happen as all houses there are hidden behind applications.

Consequently, the idea of keeping prices from inflating doesn't work out fully as the strict (pm) regulation only covers properties one has to apply for-

We effectively have two separated markets, one being applying to pm for a property and the other as the , at least in comparison, "free" market that typically allows people to buy for money, regardless any background.

9 hours ago, Frezemis said:

I understand this is focused more towards county houses and we are looking for more ways to make more houses available or have more houses in the county.

To pick up above:

The problem is that county houses, for nothing more than historical reasons- i.e. them already being tradable when house apps were made a regular thing last winter- fall in the second described category of the "free" market still up to day.

Consequently, besides people who do wanna rp in the county, it is these properties that attract speculators-

for the sole reason that it's possible with these properties within our rules.

As long as county houses allow an investment strategy while others don't, this phenomenon will not cease, 100% guaranteed.

Buying a house just to have it sitting in their character for 6 months just to then flip it for millions of dollars when realistically that house would not be more than 100-200k provides no RP and no benefit to the server as a whole.

People that blatantly flip houses should have their properties taken and warned severely, specially if they are so fucked as to put "I don't care who it goes to I just want the highest amount of money".

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just remove these:

• 0 days to 2 weeks : You cannot sell the house.
  • 2 weeks to 1 month : You may sell the house up to 1x MP + furniture price.
  • 1 month to 3 months : You may sell the house up to 3x MP + furniture price. (Ex. MP = 150,000 FP = 55,633, SP = 50,000 - Highest buyout = $555,633)
  • 3 months to 6 months : You may sell the house up to 5x MP + furniture price.
  • 6 months + : You can sell the house at any price you want.

Allow people to sell houses for 1x MP + furniture price, max. This’ll stop people from flipping property and you won’t see any crazy unrealistic prices anymore.