'Special One-Time Vehicle Leases' - Your Opinion.

Wuhtah

3 hours ago, Kim V said:

If someone wants to lease a 2 million dollar car they will need to suffice to CK perms should they be the reason for an accident. 

And this shouldn't be the same for somebody racing around town in a Sultan or? Literally what does it matter what car somebody drives despite people being somehow envious of what car somebody drives xddd I don't get it.

50 minutes ago, Solsroyce said:

Elaborate?

Sure, no problem. When you compare all the vehicles currently available on GTAW to what is driving on the streets today in LA (or the entire USA), you'll notice that car usage in GTAW heavily skews towards cars that are normally considered very rare, and/or very expensive. Part of this is due to the fact that low/mid-range vehicles aren't very well represented in GTA. However, another part is because players tend to want to go for cars that are cool. There's nothing inherently bad about this, but when this happens on a large scale, it degrades to overall experience when roleplaying on a server that's trying to encourage realistic portrayal.

This by itself isn't very bad, but there's more. When you look at all the cars available in GTAW and compare their usage to their performance, you'll find another strong correlation. Players want to drive fast cars. Not characters, but players. Combine this with the upped performance of GTA vehicles in general, and you are left with more OOC player behavior that degrades the quality of the entire community.

One player choosing a fancy and/or fast car for their character is not a problem. A large number of players doing the same thing, then it becomes an issue.

• Upvote 2

It's a shame we don't yet have vehicle damage that saves.  The desire to own a $2m car would probably decline greatly if every scratch and dent needed repairing at a mechanic, and that repair scaled to the cost of the vehicle.   Some kind of vandalism system would also help, so people would face the realistic consequences of parking their supercar outside clubs or bars in rough areas etc.  Again, it would need to save though so they can't just vpark and vget.

• Upvote 2
45 minutes ago, Paenymion said:

It's a shame we don't yet have vehicle damage that saves.  The desire to own a $2m car would probably decline greatly if every scratch and dent needed repairing at a mechanic, and that repair scaled to the cost of the vehicle.   Some kind of vandalism system would also help, so people would face the realistic consequences of parking their supercar outside clubs or bars in rough areas etc.  Again, it would need to save though so they can't just vpark and vget.

This would be cool if there was ways around damage that was OOC or not roleplayed what so ever. It would be absolutely pointless beyond just being a pain in the ass to have to ICly repair every vehicle every time some idiot in a sports car playing tokyo drift going 120mph around the city streets slams into your car then just keep going as if their car wouldn't be totaled. 
Having to report that to admins in every case for afix's would be unfeasible for them to take on imo. 

• Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, Paenymion said:

While I agree with this, the amount of damage I get simply from people driving like retards and desync would ruin every millionare in mere days. Usual occurence, someone stops at the lights, other player appears behind him cause they were driving at high speed the whole time, game fails to properly draw the surroundings and boom first car is swept aside and driver almost killed. Happened to me, done by someone I wont name, but said incident pretty much ruined my view on the venue said player is playing with.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, mj2002 said:

Sure, no problem. When you compare all the vehicles currently available on GTAW to what is driving on the streets today in LA (or the entire USA), you'll notice that car usage in GTAW heavily skews towards cars that are normally considered very rare, and/or very expensive. Part of this is due to the fact that low/mid-range vehicles aren't very well represented in GTA. However, another part is because players tend to want to go for cars that are cool. There's nothing inherently bad about this, but when this happens on a large scale, it degrades to overall experience when roleplaying on a server that's trying to encourage realistic portrayal.

This by itself isn't very bad, but there's more. When you look at all the cars available in GTAW and compare their usage to their performance, you'll find another strong correlation. Players want to drive fast cars. Not characters, but players. Combine this with the upped performance of GTA vehicles in general, and you are left with more OOC player behavior that degrades the quality of the entire community.

One player choosing a fancy and/or fast car for their character is not a problem. A large number of players doing the same thing, then it becomes an issue.

Ah the classic realism argument. My theory has always been there's a difference between 'realism' and 'believable'. Roleplay isn't a life (or whatever) simulator. It's a genre where the focus is on telling a captivating story on the go. And the theme in GTA is that it should be contemporary and convincing fiction. Realism is something that can never be achieved and also has its downsides. It's a fine balance. Yeah, I get your point. Rare cars should be roleplayed as rare. But in a roleplay server excentric and rare characters are always going to be more common than in real-life, depending on what draws you, and that should be tolerated.

I think curating what concepts people should be able to roleplay or how many people should roleplay it is dumb. People should first and foremost have the freedom to tell their character's story regardless of concept, and regardless of whether somebody else finds it appealing or not. Cars and houses in that are just cosmetic. They help to portray your character just like /examine. Don't overvalue it. I don't think it's really a problem if far too many people roleplay rich characters, just like I don't think it's an issue many people choose to roleplay criminals. It doesn't degrade roleplay quality as long as they do it right. Maybe it's not desirable. But curating how many people can roleplay a certain concept just limits other players who are very enthusiastic about doing something from doing just that, and I think that's more of a concern for a roleplay server: that you don't have the freedom to roleplay something that is perfectly valid. If it's unbalanced focus on stimulating other avenues of roleplay rather than adding a quotum for the amount of rare cars. Plus you're making cars artificially rare and desired by limiting access out of character and making them exceptionally expensive. If you could just spawn a fast car for $1 they wouldn't be as desirable for a certain (and maybe the wrong) group of people.

I don't understand why people give a fuck about what assets somebody's character cosmetically owns. They're just cosmetic, after all. And half the time the people complaining about it aren't even the ones that are actively involved with people's roleplay. So the people in here complaining shouldn't be complaining in the first place. It's like somebody is standing on the street, sees somebody drive by in some sportscar, and they think "grrr another one of those!". When you literally have no clue what these people roleplay and whether the reason they have the asset is valid. Let alone whether you agree with the reasoning or not. It's gatekeeping other people's roleplay, and it's dumb, because you're in no position to. It's a problem with people having stupid associations, not the people driving uncommon cars.

We have rules that describe what sort of roleplay is allowed or isn't and there's always going to be rulebreakers or people who deviate too far from the median or don't feel comfortable in your concept. But the amount of 'unordinary' cars people drive is not a problem and not something I think staff should waste their time on, which is what was meant when said "there being far bigger problems". Stop gatekeeping people's roleplay. It's none of your business.

Driving cars is also not roleplay so I don't understand how driving fast (which is not unique to high performance cars) or the distribution of uncommon cars among players could lower the quality of roleplay at all. It's bad associations again, that people who own uncommon cars drive fast and can't roleplay, and that out of this fear (which is not a statistical fact nor something that could be investigated in such a way) certain roleplay or assets should be restricted. I.e. people who can do this perfectly fine and in their concept see such a thing as necessary are restricted from roleplaying such a concept because you're only focused on the people that abuse it / don't do it right.

I think this topic and concern is also a massive waste of time because people were complaining about non-rp driving in 2012 and it's just a fact of life. Focus staff efforts on stimulating different kinds of RP and facilitating players rather than coming up with more rules and policies that restrict the roleplay that is currently going on and in the future.

Edited by Solsroyce
  • Upvote 3
6 hours ago, mj2002 said:

I don't think this is the case and even so isn't thatt the point of RPQM. To also had add an extra barrier with the restriction of certain vehicles from dealership within reason (obviously no Deluxos) seems like an overcorrection. Nothing is stopping a player in the script who is say a minor character from a small gang from owning a pariah if he has the IG money. RPQM has to get involved to enforce that standard. What does it matter if you make a car like the Coquette D10 lease only. Is it any worse if the server was flooded with a pariah or paragons oppose to any car that you can put behind a limited release or any type of other lease.

Edited by Power

Alright, the point seems to be missing here.

Special One-Time Vehicles were made so people could get vehicles that have been suggested to be added in car dealerships, such as the Coquette D10, in the game at least for them if it makes sense. I am not saying the Coquette D10 should be "gatekeeped" behind lease requests - it is only for lease requests as of right now because adding vehicles into car dealerships take a lot of work and our modders/developers are very busy doing other things. So, this was a 'work-around' that a lot of people have misconstrued. 

We did it to help you guys, lmao. Not to further gatekeep you behind lease requests. Adding cars to dealership will take awhile, that program was to help those who were interested in them and would make sense for their character / improve their roleplay. 

The only "gatekeeping" that will happen in the future with lease requests are those vehicles that are heavily abused, so fucking rare that not even Donald Trump would have one, etc. 

Appreciate the feedback.

• Upvote 5
  • Applaud 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic