'Special One-Time Vehicle Leases' - Your Opinion.

Wuhtah

1 minute ago, Wuhtah said:

I am open to discussion about this. If it's "small" (warning for something small) then that is something we can discuss on a one versus one basis. There is obviously no guarantee, but I will reach out to the admin who handed the punishment to get an idea of what went wrong.

tbh its just dumb that it’s like “if you’ve broken any rules in the past 6 months’ n whatnot, it’s going to be a hard application, i know, 6 months is hella excessive, not everyone knows the ruleset off the top of their head, 6 months is too much tbh, i’d say something like 3 months or 1 month would be better, but waiting half a year just to get a chance to put up a request & lease..? Idk tbh, but that’s just me.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Frezemis said:

Weaponized will always be denied/restricted. It's not a can of worms I want to open up.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant that if vehicles are weaponized, or cause issues, or arent lore friendly, then they should be restricted by default. Otherwise, they shouldnt be restricted to this program by default.

4 hours ago, Late said:

I don't like restrictions, I think all vehicles should be available to lease.

Just because IRL a car manufacturer made only 600 of a vehicle doesn't mean that needs to follow suit in GTA World, since all our car brands are fictitious. 

If a character is fit to own that CLASS of vehicle then he should be allowed to lease it, regardless of the specific model in question. 

This.

• Upvote 1

My take on it:

All cars should be available in dealerships unless weaponization/armor is a thing on them. Though effort is needed to make sure the unweaponized versions of those can just be bought and modified if their owners wish to.

Leasing is a terrible system which causes unnecessary stress on staff and shows a distrust in players from the get-go. The only cars I can see that should be lease only is a handful of rare supercars (not all cars in the Super category are an issue, but most of them should be expensive if available). I highly disagree with not following the rarity of real world equivalents for those, which means, at most 1 or 2 in the entire city (could have an activity requirement so they're not unrealistically held hostage by inactive players, this is the only thing that would be difficult to enact otherwise, so casual players would potentially be negatively impacted, but I see no other way).

Add onto that: The current inventory in dealerships makes no sense if the aim is realism*. The aforementioned Grotti GT500, the Grotti Cheetah Classic, the Annis Elegy Retro, to name a few. The first one being a multi-million dollar car in real life, and ultra rare. The others are not crazily expensive cars but they are not new, meaning they should be expensive if they're in their factory state with low miles on them and no one should be able to purchase them with 0 miles. They are old(er) cars and should be treated as such. The Elegy Retro has gotten a bad rep over the years because it's abused by people who don't portray the car right, which is what my entire post boils down to:

Enforce a high roleplay standard

A couple of examples of how I think the server should work with this:

• Do you have to be script money rich to RP rich? 
    Not in my opinion, players just have to be smart. The server hails heavy RP, but the lease prices I have seen are so high, it will only force players to grind and it will completely disable and deter casual players that can't sink entire days into roleplay, from roleplaying particular concepts, just because script money is valued, not roleplay.
  • Companies should be able to lease business vehicles (industrial or otherwise).
    Yes, I know they are able to that currently, that's good. They should mostly be very cheap to enable roleplay (I'd go as far as saying: $1 symbolically, or free OR a small percentage of earnings made by the business, so if a company makes $0 script, it also costs $0). This is the least of our worries right now as I believe them to be cheap, or at least they used to be, good.
  • All cars (up to the sports category) should be available.
    Let's be honest, the cars aren't the issue as we have a limited number of them available and some pretty common similarly valued ones (realistically) unavailable. Allow players to make the best decision available for their characters and make sure there's always a mention of "Make sure this car is realistic for your character" whenever a player presses the purchase button in a dealership or interacts with another player when trading cars privately.
  • A number of rare cars, no matter the category, should be lease only to preserve their rarity and ensure the streets aren't swarming with vehicles that you would never or hardly ever see in real life.
    You could set a limit of miles on these in set periods (as it wouldn't be realistic to use rare cars too much, considering the depreciation involved), sort of like the show or display rule in the United States (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_or_Display).

There's more ideas around vehicle roleplay in my head but I'll keep it to this for now, as I think this mostly covers why I think vehicle leases are unnecessary in most current cases and while the special vehicle leases can make more sense (as per the last bullet point), this is the best place for the quick feedback for now it seems.

TL;DR:

Make everything available for realistic prices. Set a standard and don't go into situations with full on distrust. Base the cost of "needed" leases on actual money made with percentages or don't charge at all if portrayal isn't an issue (the application was successfully passed and no one has complained rightly about someone's portrayal). Even out the list of vehicles in the dealerships at the very least, because it makes absolutely no sense as it stands.

Speak to players that show bad portrayal, if needed punish them. The lack of a standard in this hinders roleplay more than it helps it. The expectation of it taking five minutes to completely ruin modify vehicles freshly bought by players showcases what little sense of realism there is to this aspect of roleplay on the server.

* Provided I find the time, I'm planning on making a list of available vehicles in GTA Online and mods currently on the server, potentially with a suggested mod here and there, and figuring out what they'd be worth, so at least the purchase price can be realistic, if anyone is even interested in overhauling this small part of the server, without any taboos about current vehicle values changing.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wuhtah said:

I am open to discussion about this. If it's "small" (warning for something small) then that is something we can discuss on a one versus one basis. There is obviously no guarantee, but I will reach out to the admin who handed the punishment to get an idea of what went wrong.

Problem is, that depends how long ago it was, the handling admin might not be an admin or not remember what took place.

I think it's nice to have those cars around with more than one person actually. They can be reserved for characters who were developed for a long time (perhaps even a year) and are evidently rich. I believe those who are able to maintain such character development with high financial stability deserve a chance. 

7 hours ago, Steezers said:

tbh its just dumb that it’s like “if you’ve broken any rules in the past 6 months’ n whatnot, it’s going to be a hard application, i know, 6 months is hella excessive, not everyone knows the ruleset off the top of their head, 6 months is too much tbh, i’d say something like 3 months or 1 month would be better, but waiting half a year just to get a chance to put up a request & lease..? Idk tbh, but that’s just me.

This is specific to only one time vehicle leases. Regular vehicle leases, business leases and requests are all 1 month clean administrative record. Houses are 3 I believe.

This won't change as it's supposed to be a unique and rewarding players who don't break the rules anyways. You are told to read the rules as you do an application to get on the server anyways.

1 hour ago, Vash Baldeus said:

Problem is, that depends how long ago it was, the handling admin might not be an admin or not remember what took place.

Majority of the time 95%, even if the admin is retired, they are easy to get in contact with and don't mind.

The big deal about this is that people don't really know cars or the server has the antiquated view that if something costs script money to prevent newb abuse, it's probably not good to role-play it. That makes zero sense. All it takes is for you to look at listings for a specific model to see what's realistic to role-play.

The prime example of that is the Coquette D10 which is just a Corvette C8 2020 and they go for $60K a pop RNF out of a dealer and no dealer is going to give you a flat $60K on it, you'll get it even lower. In the context of GTAW, it's obviously behind an application because it hits 160MPH in game and it'd be a nightmare to just give out, but that's the point. There's a clear divide between car prices, the ability to acquire one via application, and its portrayal, and they're all meant to be deterrents to bad portrayal. It unfortunately isn't the case.

It all revolves around enforcing an accurate standard and expectation out of role-playing not only finances accurately, but also character ambitions. It's also worth taking into account buying domestic vs. foreign. Foreign cars are infinitely more expensive, especially in the US, up from expensive to acquire to expensive to maintain. That being said, continuity says we portray Los Angeles and generally revolving around California & seeing exotic cars is not novelty at all and supercar spotting is very common.

As far as the system goes, it's a good thing to have the ability to just request a car and make a case for it with Property Management. The point of that also goes with how you role-play the car and most have no or very little idea how to (e.g. the Mamba isn't a $500K Dodge, it's a $14K Mk4 Roadster kit from Factory Five Racing which means it's a knockoff of the original project & requires no shell). For as long as what you portray makes sense and it's as realistic as playable* for the context of the portrayed In Character world and its realities, it's worth continuing the program as is.

@Triple Sevenmakes a good few points about collection cars, mileage caps, etc. I do agree with one point and that is affordability. It's very rare for anyone to actually drop tens if not hundreds of thousands on a car off the bat. Everyone finances, leases, and more often than not can't pay the lease behind closed doors. The ability to have a specific dealership or business in game for actual leases that aren't as straining as the whole PM process for the average player should exist. The ability to lease a specific car for 1 day or 1 specific occasion without relying on players to make something like that should also be explored. Actual car rentals, valet services and acquiring a car that isn't registered to one character per se provides infinite role-play possibilities, especially for illegal role-play: imagine being able to go rent some hooptie with a fake ID for some cash and getting up to nefarious shit with it. Or on the other end, a high profile legal character renting a supercar for a day or a few hours to go make an impression at some event.

Edited by liq
  • Wuhtah locked this topic