The Sheriff's Department And You II

Wildcat

36 minutes ago, Cleveland said:

Now that Wildcat and his praetorians are the ones calling LFM to shut LSDA investigators down for interfering with his faction,

No idea what you’re talking about, DA investigators aren’t allowed because of LFM, not SD. 

16 minutes ago, Cleveland said:

-

I'll spare you with an actual reply.

There's a difference between originality and portraying your real life counterpart, if we wanted an original faction we could of made a faction like the San Andreas Sheriff's Department used to be & drive green and red cars around the county with trooper hats. Portraying your real life counterpart to the best of your ability is also original.

Ever since the creation of this faction, it has been made clear that the faction will portray the LASD as much as possible. No one is forced to join the faction if they don't agree with the mentality as there are many other areas that can be explored within the server, neither these standards are forced upon anyone's throat.

Your dissertation also doesn't make a lot of sense. First this faction doesn't portray it's counterpart properly, then it lacks originality, then the faction is too obsessed with LASD's manual & is too realistic and not focused on the fun aspect. Which one is it?

Also this faction was created for custody then expanded, as the server was gaining more popularity and was peaking 700-800 players like it does today, rather than 300 like it used to. There's many situations that occur daily that require police presence, which unfortunately end up without any law enforcement factions there due to the man-power these factions have, which essentially nullifies your argument.

I really can't put your thoughts together and understand what you really mean here as you contradict yourself in numerous places. There's also a few irrelevant mentions of Foran who was removed 8 years ago over role-play quality, rather than a prison faction that nobody cared about (even management) at the time.

Bottom line is, without going off topic, the people who choose to join this faction do so because they enjoy the realism it provides when it comes to portraying the LASD.

• Upvote 2
33 minutes ago, Bospy said:

No idea what you’re talking about, DA investigators aren’t allowed because of LFM, not SD. 

28 minutes ago, Benavides said:

I'll spare you with an actual reply.

There's a difference between originality and portraying your real life counterpart, if we wanted an original faction we could of made a faction like the San Andreas Sheriff's Department used to be & drive green and red cars around the county with trooper hats. Portraying your real life counterpart to the best of your ability is also original.

Ever since the creation of this faction, it has been made clear that the faction will portray the LASD as much as possible. No one is forced to join the faction if they don't agree with the mentality as there are many other areas that can be explored within the server, neither these standards are forced upon anyone's throat.

Your dissertation also doesn't make a lot of sense. First this faction doesn't portray it's counterpart properly, then it lacks originality, then the faction is too obsessed with LASD's manual & is too realistic and not focused on the fun aspect. Which one is it?

Also this faction was created for custody then expanded, as the server was gaining more popularity and was peaking 700-800 players like it does today, rather than 300 like it used to. There's many situations that occur daily that require police presence, which unfortunately end up without any law enforcement factions there due to the man-power these factions have, which essentially nullifies your argument.

I really can't put your thoughts together and understand what you really mean here as you contradict yourself in numerous places. There's also a few irrelevant mentions of Foran who was removed 8 years ago over role-play quality, rather than a prison faction that nobody cared about (even management) at the time.

Bottom line is, without going off topic, the people who choose to join this faction do so because they enjoy the realism it provides when it comes to portraying the LASD.

b1b4kzH.jpg

Edited by Cleveland
Late inspiration.
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1

Alright, Chief Benavides, since I've realized only later that you were one of the few people to reach out to help in the days of old, regardless of whether it was out of genuine altruism, pity or more nefarious motives, I'll return the courtesy and provide you with an actual reply as well.

The fact that I genuinely do not care about your opinion, Bospy's or anyone else's still stands, since I'm not really here nor I plan to be anytime soon. But all I wanted to do was sit in the most remote corner of the server and pretend to patrol a couple hours a day while staying as far as possible from all the OOC politicking, and thanks to those of your ilk that's now considered a threat of the server. You'll excuse me if I don't feel the need to waste my time with pleasantries or pretend that I appreciate what your leadership has done to the server.

Perhaps if you focused less on the manner and more on the substance, you and others may see what the point is, fix the problems and make the whole place better for whoever still feels like playing.

18 hours ago, Benavides said:

Not really in the mood to play semantics but an original piece is, by definition, something that was created without copying or imitating. By simply taking real-life procedures, appearance, jargon, customs of an existing organization and adjusting them to the setting of GTA:W, you're doing an adaptation at best, but certainly not something original. The over-reliance on established real life counterparts is a lazy exercise for unimaginative minds and incentives players to not take risks and be creative, encouraging them to do what (allegedly) is realistic and content themselves with what it's been done to death already.

Your choice between two opposite extremes, the uber-realistic LSSD with its 1:1 scale model of LASD and the cartoonish SASD with its patrol cars straight out of a Looney Tunes skit perfectly sums up what I meant when I said that you don't seem interested in bridging gaps at all. You all seem to think in binaries. This "if you're not with us, then you're against us" mentality, along with the constant casual maligning of people who dare to criticize your faction or any aspect of your roleplay they don't agree with, is one of the aspects that make the LSSD seem cultish and make it an absolute blemish on the community (which stoops pretty low by itself already).

Leaving aside the fact that SAHP would be preferable to the LSSD, if anything for the novelty factor, do you truly believe that a, say, San Andreas State Police with officers in khaki uniforms and smokey hats that drive white patrol cars, with procedures inspired by real-life ones and its own original customs would be so out of place with the server to the point of being unrealistic and breaking your immersion?

Before answering, take a look at this: another elitist and I made up a law enforcement agency revolving around water completely from scratch, inspiring ourselves to real-life California agencies but purposefully peppering our roleplay with outright fictional terms and procedures for the sole purpose of proving that you can have fun, involve the community and be realistic without necessarily copy-pasting entire manuals and basing yourself on a single organization. You know who was our #1 fan?

4aY3qOA.png

If someone wants to RP a CO or if he wants to portray a law enforcement official working outside of the city, his only chance is the LSSD. If he doesn't agree with the faction's mindset, you're already cutting that person out a chunk of RP on which the LSSD holds a monopoly. 

As for the second part of your post, ask yourself where did the obsession with realism came from? How did it take hold the server as a whole?

Jonesy, Bospy and lambchops (and probably someone else too, but I can't be bothered to go look them all up) all have held positions in FM/LFM at the same time they were part of the leadership or had leadership-adjacent roles in the LSSD and with their positions they could influence many decisions concerning the entire server. It's no secret that these people hold a very specific view about the server's setting and how San Andreas should mirror California to the maximum extent possible, as proven by the direction the LSSD had under their guide, so yes, the LSSD was indirectly forcing its own standards down everyone else's throat.

It's your paragraph that doesn't make much sense, since it seems to be a mish-mash of accusations that have been flung at me far too many times in the past for me not to recognize them, especially in the part where you once again go binary thinking between "realism" and "fun", as if the two things couldn't be reconciled without forcing everyone to march in lockstep. 

The LSSD does an excellent job at portraying its counterpart properly and it's a monument to what a dedicated group of people can do if they set out to achieve something. Don't mistake my contempt for the leadership's methods with a contempt for their dedication or ability: they all possess good administrative and organizational skills but they suffer from chronic backstabbing disorder, standards enforcement syndrome and a compulsive need to talk down anyone who doesn't align with their ideas on what roleplay should be (and, again, the whole scenario that spawned this topic is great evidence for that). It'd be much better if their skills weren't all employed for the wrong cause, which is the enforcement of their particular brand of "realism" across the board with no room for things that haven't been reported by an LASD bulletin. 

Because not everything can be "realistic" since reality itself is not realistic and it's a common mistake in entertainment to assume something to be "unrealistic" simply because it doesn't align with what we're used to in our daily life or what we're expecting to see. The LSSD and a lot of its members seem to be particularly prone to fall victim to this since they put far too much trust in "sources" instead of their own creativity, with the result being they end up doing the very things the LSSD was allegedly born to combat: engaging in the pretentious attitude of LSRP's LSPD and policing the server by telling people what they're doing is "wrong", "unrealistic", "low quality" and so on and so forth.

And why is it that it was the LSSD specifically had to be expanded? Why could not a new faction, like the SAHP, or a new form of State-level law enforcement agency, or multiple smaller agencies dislocated across the map take over the additional police duties? If anything to shake things up, to make it so you all don't keep playing in the same eternal 2017 LSRP with updated graphics and a shovel script to make up for the lack of original concepts. It's all so tiresome. 

It'd be very cheap shot to make a joke about you've been roleplaying California so long you've probably started to acquire its less savory perks such as its literacy rate, but I'm going to give you a honest answer instead. It's not that you can't, it's that you're having a hard time doing it because the truth that emerges from those post is a rather uncomfortable one and you'd rather not admit it. I don't doubt for a single moment that the large majority of LSSD players fundamentally are good-hearted people who get high off their own hype of belonging to something elite and galvanized by a propaganda machine, but if you don't change your ways, it will be your faction's, and your leadership's, downfall. 

Foran is much more relevant to your current situation than you might think. For all his faults, the law enforcement scene would've been very different if it wasn't for him and, ironically, the LSSD is the one faction that owes him the most, as the man took the first steps towards realism by shaping the LSPD after the LAPD when the trend was to pursue British policing standards. Without him you all would probably be portraying an Americanized version of the West Midlands Police. 

And nothing better than the story of Foran and his fall from grace could exemplify what I talked about in both my original post and in this reply. Foran was considered a great roleplayer until the standards began to change and the community who had his back until the week before started calling for his removal. But standards aren't set in stone and the community's mood changes often and without warning. Though it certainly would be a very sobering wake-up call, I do not wish to see Wildcat follow down the same route, whether you believe it or not.

Let us have peace.

4NWJJXR.png

17 hours ago, lambchops said:

deep

krrcW28.jpg

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Applaud 3
  • TyJ locked this topic