What are some examples of unrealistic escalations that you've seen on the server?

9 hours ago, oliviarav3n said:

Any time a criminal character declares a citizen a "snitch" for doing what civilians do: call the police when bad things happen. That label is potentially  a death sentence.

Civilians do not follow the same street code that criminals do. It's unrealistic to hold them to standards they would typically have no idea about. Criminals should have heightened fear of drawing more heat from the cops for targeting innocent civilians.

Declaring a civilian a "snitch" and then harassing/beating then up/murdering them would instill fear in civilians to not report crime. That would essentially be a direct attack on the police since civilian reporting is a huge source of intel. No criminal would realistically want that kind of attention. The risk significantly outweighs any perceived reward.

It depends... if a civilian lives in the same neighborhood as a gang? That "snitch" status is applied, as codes apply within hoods, not just gangs.

The community-code of silence as everybody generally knows everybody.

Most people, in the real world, remain quiet after being threatened or intimidated by gangs in their own neighborhood, as they just want to live in peace. On this server, it just doesn't happen, for some reason. People want to put their nose into everybody's business and then wonder why they get retaliation.

EDIT: Just want to add that this usually leads to a severe beatdown as a lesson, not murder, when it comes with civilians, unless the "snitching" was so severe that it lead to 20 years to life.

Edited by DLimit
8 minutes ago, DLimit said:

It depends... if a civilian lives in the same neighborhood as a gang? That "snitch" status is applied, as codes apply within hoods, not just gangs.

The community-code of silence as everybody generally knows everybody.

Most people, in the real world, remain quiet after being threatened or intimidated by gangs in their own neighborhood, as they just want to live in peace. On this server, it just doesn't happen, for some reason. People want to put their nose into everybody's business and then wonder why they get retaliation.

EDIT: Just want to add that this usually leads to a severe beatdown as a lesson, not murder, when it comes with civilians, unless the "snitching" was so severe that it lead to 20 years to life.

Yeah but if you are a civillian not from the "hood" and the crime happened away from "the hood". Calling the cops is the most reasonable thing.

• Upvote 3
26 minutes ago, peasoup said:

That's not to mention gangs that suddenly pop up out of nowhere in Vespucci Canals and claim "actually, this has been our hood since 1984" and the people living there are like... what?

this should be against the rules tbh. (Sounds like power gaming to me, so it already is) You can’t retcon claim an entire neighborhood that did not have your gang present, we’re almost 5 years into the server at this point.

8 hours ago, Xaleya said:

Yeah but if you are a civillian not from the "hood" and the crime happened away from "the hood". Calling the cops is the most reasonable thing.

Look up the Hawkins Family of Watts, California.

One of their family members killed a gangster from the Bounty Hunter Watts Bloods and because they lived in the projects and owned a store in the Bounty Hunter Bloods' hood, they were threatened and shot at. The father of the boy who went to jail for said murder stood his ground and actually took that gang to war in his store which was literally across the street from the gang controlled projects. It was literally teenagers from the Bounty Hunter Bloods harassing and shooting at his children on a daily basis for weeks over this incident. The father and his sons took the gang to essentially "war" on the street, shooting at them from the safety of his store to let them know that he wasn't going for the bullying/harassment. He died years later from being killed by them, I believe. The cops even intervened and the shot caller for the gang ended up snitching on the Hawkins family and still walks around untouched to this day. 

TL:DR - Irrelevant story about how a gang and a family ended up getting into somewhat of a street war over "gang politics" in the projects.

EDIT: 

17 hours ago, oliviarav3n said:

Any time a criminal character declares a citizen a "snitch" for doing what civilians do: call the police when bad things happen. That label is potentially  a death sentence.

Civilians do not follow the same street code that criminals do. It's unrealistic to hold them to standards they would typically have no idea about. Criminals should have heightened fear of drawing more heat from the cops for targeting innocent civilians.

Declaring a civilian a "snitch" and then harassing/beating then up/murdering them would instill fear in civilians to not report crime. That would essentially be a direct attack on the police since civilian reporting is a huge source of intel. No criminal would realistically want that kind of attention. The risk significantly outweighs any perceived reward.

13 hours ago, Dodo said:

A regular citizen who reports seeing a crime isn't a "snitch" or a "rat"
The criminals were just sloppy
Snitches and rats are not the same thing
Let me break it down to make sure y'all see what I mean
A "snitch" is someone minding other folks' business
To find information they can sell for a price or trade for some other form of compensation
A "rat" is a traitor, a conceiver, planner or physical participator
He doesn't sell secrets for power or cash
He betrays the trust of his team or his family hoping to save his own cowardly ass
The difference is, at least a snitch is human, but a rat is a fuckin' rat, period. 

These people clearly ain't heard Morgan Freeman break it down. 

My point is, civilians can be civilians and call the cops or they can attempt what the Hawkins family did to protect themselves. If a gang member deems someone a snitch, I believe that is reason enough to escalate a situation against someone that's a civilian. Especially with street gangs, they do not operate like organizations (motorcycle clubs, mafia, DTO etc). Members of street gangs always go above and beyond to prove a point to their constituents to try and build a legendary street reputation.

10 hours ago, konfety. said:

People/factions in general seem to always escalate with bar staff, even if you don't escalate with them.

They also absolutely hate being barred and will show up and escalate daily, thinking it will get them unbarred but it only leads to more police reports and stupid roleplay.

This happens in RL too, the problem is in game it happens too much. Real life gang members that go to outings like bars and such know which members not to bring. They know that some members of their gang are not competent enough to be brought to events simply because they irrationally rebel against order. I can understand your frustration.

An example of what I said is when Dr. Dre (billionaire producer) was getting his start in the rap game, and was regularly performing at a club in Watts. The Bounty Hunter Bloods were trying to get into the club, but wasn't allowed in, so the bouncer told them to leave. They bumrushed the door and got in on their own terms and had the civilians there intimidated. Dr. Dre and the World Class Wrecking Crew bandmates initiated a brawl with the gang members and eventually got them out of there. From that point on, the Bounty Hunter Watts Bloods left the bar alone and only came back with respect for the bouncers now that they realized it wasn't full of push overs. 

EDIT: 

The problem that lies in game is not that it happens, it how it happens and how constant it is. The portrayal is unbalanced and tends to go overboard when it doesn't need to be. Every single time I see a civilian roleplayer complain about players that play as a street figure, it's either because they are a minor or because they simply believe that something shouldn't happen although there are real life happenings of civilian victimization that can be used as prime examples of a situation. I believe that this rift stems from the value of how something is portrayed in game, not because it happens. If any of you have real life experience, then you should know that being a regular person in this world isn't going to be all sunshine, rainbows and positive experiences when it comes to people, gangster or not.

Edited by LuckyBastard
  • Upvote 2
34 minutes ago, LuckyBastard said:

Look up the Hawkins Family of Watts, California.

One of their family members killed a gangster from the Bounty Hunter Watts Bloods and because they lived in the projects and owned a store in the Bounty Hunter Bloods' hood, they were threatened and shot at. The father of the boy who went to jail for said murder stood his ground and actually took that gang to war in his store which was literally across the street from the gang controlled projects. It was literally teenagers from the Bounty Hunter Bloods harassing and shooting at his children on a daily basis for weeks over this incident. The father and his sons took the gang to essentially "war" on the street, shooting at them from the safety of his store to let them know that he wasn't going for the bullying/harassment. He died years later from being killed by them, I believe. The cops even intervened and the shot caller for the gang ended up snitching on the Hawkins family and still walks around untouched to this day. 

TL:DR - Irrelevant story about how a gang and a family ended up getting into somewhat of a street war over "gang politics" in the projects.

EDIT: 

My point is, civilians can be civilians and call the cops or they can attempt what the Hawkins family did to protect themselves. If a gang member deems someone a snitch, I believe that is reason enough to escalate a situation against someone that's a civilian. Especially with street gangs, they do not operate like organizations (motorcycle clubs, mafia, DTO etc). Members of street gangs always go above and beyond to prove a point to their constituents to try and build a legendary street reputation.

This happens in RL too, the problem is in game it happens too much. Real life gang members that go to outings like bars and such know which members not to bring. They know that some members of their gang are not competent enough to be brought to events simply because they irrationally rebel against order. I can understand your frustration.

An example of what I said is when Dr. Dre (billionaire producer) was getting his start in the rap game, and was regularly performing at a club in Watts. The Bounty Hunter Bloods were trying to get into the club, but wasn't allowed in, so the bouncer told them to leave. They bumrushed the door and got in on their own terms and had the civilians there intimidated. Dr. Dre and the World Class Wrecking Crew bandmates initiated a brawl with the gang members and eventually got them out of there. From that point on, the Bounty Hunter Watts Bloods left the bar alone and only came back with respect for the bouncers now that they realized it wasn't full of push overs. 

EDIT: 

The problem that lies in game is not that it happens, it how it happens and how constant it is. The portrayal is unbalanced and tends to go overboard when it doesn't need to be. Every single time I see a civilian roleplayer complain about players that play as a street figure, it's either because they are a minor or because they simply believe that something shouldn't happen although there are real life happenings of civilian victimization that can be used as prime examples of a situation. I believe that this rift stems from the value of how something is portrayed in game, not because it happens. If any of you have real life experience, then you should know that being a regular person in this world isn't going to be all sunshine, rainbows and positive experiences when it comes to people, gangster or not.

This isn't 1984, go to sleep grandpa. What you don't understand about 2020? Times changes, everyone has a phone. Police is twice effective.
Cameras are everywhere. Look what happened to Yakuza or most of italian mafias when times changed?
grandfather senior man sleeping got insomnia Stock Footage Video (100%  Royalty-free) 1026631847 | Shutterstock

I know 100% all the thing you posted without reading it. I got sort of kidnapped/reverse kidnapped by cops, so they enforced us to bribe them or else I would end in courts for something not even remotely related to me directly or indirectly. I can't report them because they know where I live and kidnap me and spread my  body parts into a nice field. That happened to the guy living in the apartment on top of me and he was cop.

Yet I live in Venezuela, not USA. But still similar ruling.

Edited by Xaleya
24 minutes ago, Xaleya said:

This isn't 1984, go to sleep grandpa. What you don't understand about 2020? Times changes, everyone has a phone. Police is twice effective.
Cameras are everywhere. Look what happened to Yakuza or most of italian mafias when times changed?
grandfather senior man sleeping got insomnia Stock Footage Video (100%  Royalty-free) 1026631847 | Shutterstock

I know 100% all the thing you posted without reading it. I got sort of kidnapped/reverse kidnapped by cops, so they enforced us to bribe them or else I would end in courts for something not even remotely related to me directly or indirectly. I can't report them because they know where I live and kidnap me and spread my  body parts into a nice field. That happened to the guy living in the apartment on top of me and he was cop.

Yet I live in Venezuela, not USA. But still similar ruling.

Apparently you did not read what I said, I was obviously in referral to street gangs. They aren't Italian Mafias or Yakuzas, they don't react to situations in the form of "let's kidnap and intimidate the person we think is snitching." More than likely they'll just smoke you and be done with it. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, LuckyBastard said:

Apparently you did not read what I said, I was obviously in referral to street gangs. They aren't Italian Mafias or Yakuzas, they don't react to situations in the form of "let's kidnap and intimidate the person we think is snitching." More than likely they'll just smoke you and be done with it. 

You haven't read mine either. Lets try that and start from zero, when I was talking about the hoods

Edited by Xaleya
3 minutes ago, LuckyBastard said:

For sure, civilians away from the hood can call the cops and still get chipped for it though.

Read again the way I said it, how I said it and what words I used. Isn't that hard mate...
Go and try finding something recent, not 1984, ages ago but again not related to what I said.

Edited by Xaleya