What are some examples of unrealistic escalations that you've seen on the server?

1 hour ago, Brofessor said:

That I would be suspect about as well and I’d honestly ask someone well versed in the law here (one of the IC lawyers). I don’t think that particular situation would result in a legal search, if their initial reason for your stop was because you didn’t yield. They can’t just search you because they feel like it at that point. I may be wrong. I’ll defer to people who may know better. 

@bartman @Power @Bospy I’ve seen you around legal cases, apologies for the tag. Any insight on this? If a car is pulled over for failure to yield at a light, what constitutes a police officer’s right to search their persons and/or vehicle from that point? 

Pennsylvania v. Mimms allows cops to pull anyone out of a car (including passengers) on traffic stops they deem to be a safety risk, and pat them down for weapons. Nothing except weapons.

Problem is this is very rare IRL because it is very invasive. It's more common IG but it's very hard to argue if say, the driver pops back with prior weapons felonies.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, damnbrah said:

get the fuck out of davis then, u clearly have a dislike for gang characters so why tf are u even around davis? go to rockford hills lol

Is that necessary? I actually really like gang characters when they are done well. 

But most of the time it feels like an excuse to cause someone issues rather than rp genuine gang life. 

21 hours ago, NickyW said:

Yeah because it's incredibly unrealistic for a kid to yank out his phone and try to be a smartass. That's TOTALLY unrealistic and hasn't happened a billion times just this month.

But if we're talking about what's funny: pretending to be a police officer and getting butthurt when someone else pretends to be something they're not. you're both fucking posers lmao why get mad about it

Who's getting butthurt? I said it was funny. It does make me laugh. Because they're never pulling their phones. They're always in cuffs or some shit like that and apparently quoting it all from memory. But you're probably right.

On 6/5/2022 at 1:03 PM, Brofessor said:

That I would be suspect about as well and I’d honestly ask someone well versed in the law here (one of the IC lawyers). I don’t think that particular situation would result in a legal search, if their initial reason for your stop was because you didn’t yield. They can’t just search you because they feel like it at that point. I may be wrong. I’ll defer to people who may know better. 

@bartman @Power @Bospy I’ve seen you around legal cases, apologies for the tag. Any insight on this? If a car is pulled over for failure to yield at a light, what constitutes a police officer’s right to search their persons and/or vehicle from that point? 

So for the cop to search your car he would have to have reasonable suspicion to believe you committed a crime and that there is evidence from said crime in your car. Or if he saw something illegal in plain view. They are also allowed to do light pat downs of specifically the driver if they believed you are armed if you get pulled over. This does not automatically extend to passengers in a car. So for example say you are pulled over for failure to yield and when the cops pulls you over, you are slurring your words, looked disheveled he could argue he has reasonable suspicion you are driving drunk he can use that to justify a warrantless search of the car. But warrantless search of vehicles are limited. They can only extend to the parts of the car that the person would reasonable have access to while driving. So they couldn't pull you over and use reasonable suspicion alone to search your trunk. 

5 hours ago, Power said:

So for the cop to search your car he would have to have reasonable suspicion to believe you committed a crime and that there is evidence from said crime in your car. Or if he saw something illegal in plain view. They are also allowed to do light pat downs of specifically the driver if they believed you are armed if you get pulled over. This does not automatically extend to passengers in a car. So for example say you are pulled over for failure to yield and when the cops pulls you over, you are slurring your words, looked disheveled he could argue he has reasonable suspicion you are driving drunk he can use that to justify a warrantless search of the car. But warrantless search of vehicles are limited. They can only extend to the parts of the car that the person would reasonable have access to while driving. So they couldn't pull you over and use reasonable suspicion alone to search your trunk. 

@Gypsy Sounds like there are some cops that need a good lesson with this, with regards to searches lol.