What are some examples of unrealistic escalations that you've seen on the server?

20 minutes ago, sCrax said:

They can't just search you because you are a felon lol. Look up fourth amendment.

You should look up Terry v Ohio.

Reasonable suspicion can go a long way in some IC situations.

Especially when there's a shooting every 15 seconds.

Also look up Pennsylvania v Mimms.

I know that the street lawyers are gonna hate that one.

Edited by SaintBatemanofWallStreet
  • Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

You should look up Terry v Ohio.

Reasonable suspicion can go a long way in some IC situations.

Especially when there's a shooting every 15 seconds.

Also look up Pennsylvania v Mimms.

I know that the street lawyers are gonna hate that one.

The suspicion must be based on articulable facts. Going around randomly stopping every car and searching people inside is not based on reasonable suspicion lol. "Street lawyers are gonna hate that one", yeah that's why LSPD lost every single case where they randomly frisked people, right? 

Edited by sCrax
13 minutes ago, sCrax said:

The suspicion must be based on articulable facts. Going around randomly stopping every car and searching people inside is not based on reasonable suspicion lol. "Street lawyers are gonna hate that one", yeah that's why LSPD lost every single case where they randomly frisked people, right? 

Frisking at patting down are different.

I assume when he said about stopping cars due to reasonable suspicion that would be if a car is coming in a direction of a recent shots fired.

17 minutes ago, sCrax said:

So your original claim was that they just can't search you on a felon on a traffic stop. The majority of the people that play on this server but want to be 14 year old hood Johnnie Cochran's is more than you'd think. Actually probably not more than you'd think. It's a lot of people. And a lot of those people see searches and pat downs as the same thing. So, Terry v. Ohio says I can pat you down if I think you've been involved in a crime. Going further than that. Pennsylvania v Mimms says I can order you out of your car for a pat down search and doesn't violate your 4th amendment. 

Just because the LSPD loses a case based off of what some European dude who doesn't actually understand how flimsy and gray, but 100% backed, but still says it is incorrect does not actually make it incorrect.

2 minutes ago, Now You See Me said:

Frisking at patting down are different.

I assume when he said about stopping cars due to reasonable suspicion that would be if a car is coming in a direction of a recent shots fired.

Frisking and a pat down are indeed different. Most people don't realize that.

• Upvote 7
3 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

So your original claim was that they just can't search you on a felon on a traffic stop. The majority of the people that play on this server but want to be 14 year old hood Johnnie Cochran's is more than you'd think. Actually probably not more than you'd think. It's a lot of people. 

I always can't help but laugh when people say stuff like "fourteen year old hood Johnnie Cochran's"

like it's horrible portrayal and super unrealistic for kids in the hood (who make their living off breaking the law) to not study up on shit when they're A: completely governed by those laws and B: are almost always marginalized people who are subject to the law more than others.

You realize that teenagers in the hood are just as capable of googling "landmark supreme court cases" (and literally nothing further. congrats on citing the two most well-known fourth amendment decisions there, ace attorney) as you are, right?

also these sorts of conversations between officers and suspects (bickering about the law) happens ALL the time irl

i know it's not really relevant to the conversation, but I always think this casual elitism is funny.

Edited by NickyW
17 minutes ago, Vassilios said:

I'm not saying whether it's legal or not. I'm just saying the logical explanation on why the dude is getting searched every time.

The explanation is that the guy probably has 14 criminal points, and the [Resists Arrest], [Drug User/Seller] and [Armed] caution code on their MDC profile with the associated charges.

11 minutes ago, Jeroen said:

The explanation is that the guy probably has 14 criminal points, and the [Resists Arrest], [Drug User/Seller] and [Armed] caution code on their MDC profile with the associated charges.

Yeah probably. If you have a lengthy record and you give cops lip, you're getting searched.

23 minutes ago, Jeroen said:

How dare you bring logic and reasoning into this. Cops bad. Always search for no reason. /s

😂

Edited by Brofessor