What are some examples of unrealistic escalations that you've seen on the server?

1 hour ago, AlphaBatal said:

This is the study conducted. Sure, it's been conducted during 2003, but it's still more valid than basing yourself on assumption.
Fact of the matter is, however, that drug dealers aren't willing to roleplay on the bottom. It just isn't interesting flipping a handful of grams. The phone line bit, though? That's true. It exists on social media, it exists through word of mouth. As for the networking bit, however? My last character was made specifically for the purpose of dealing narcotics at the endpoint. I have my own, personal observations from that.

First of all, you seem to be some sort of high horse due to the fact you've read through uncorroborated and extremely broad case studies based on low-crime and varied states in the US. The idea that you can grasp a drug dealers income based on statistic is incredibly stupid, where do those numbers come from and how can you use those numbers to grasp an idea on the general income of a drug dealer? The majority of modern day money-laundering cases in the US & UK stem from illicit cash being found on the person or within the property of a drug dealer. The case you've linked me is indeed from 2003, which was 20 years ago. Since 2003 we have seen economical turmoil and recession, a significant raise in drug prices, and many more factors as to why your case study is no where near enough to act as if you understand the situation at the level you claim to. I have not based anything from assumption. 

The case study is extremely incorrect in the grand aspect of things, with one part of the case study reading "These people reported a monthly net-income of $50". There numerous things wrong with the case study however I highly doubt you are the type of person to put your pride aside and admit that you just might be slightly upset at the roleplay server and do not know what you claim to know about criminal-economics & society.

This is just a garbage take. It works on assumptions and generalizations. "This character is an illegal one, they've had hardships, nobody loves them, they're not going to prison and hate the world." "This character is a civilian, they have had a comfortable life up to now and can't seem to understand what my character is going through." This is the sort of ego that makes people fuck with criminal characters for shits and giggles. Getting riled up that somebody has the utter /gall/ to not prostrate themselves infront of a criminal character they've never met, who is, half the time, not showing any affiliations. What's irrational is assuming that just because you roleplay a criminal, your roleplay is superior in any way to any other sort of roleplay. That's the vibe I'm getting. And that's also one of the reasons garbage escalation exists; an OOC ego and poor portrayal on either side. Not every criminal is a badass. Not every criminal fought for anything, and hardship is only a secondary motivator when greed exists. Roleplaying a cowardly scumfuck is fun. This isn't the savannah, characters aren't prey and predators, cops, robbers and NPCs. Add some nuance and ridicule people on an OOC basis when they try to knock on you for doing so.

There's so many things wrong with this paragraph I wanted to stop responding, however I'm hoping that you aren't as sweat-ridden as you sound and might actually read and understand what I'm saying here. Firstly, in regard to the statement I made about lifestyle differences between civilians and criminals your response seemed to have literally no point. You claimed the response was begotten of an "ego" problem which makes absolutely no sense, and it's the type of "response that makes civilians want to start fucking with criminal characters". This is you speaking from, just like everybody else playing GTA:W, an extremely sheltered upbringing and environment. From looking at the reports up on you and your general demeanor it seems you just have a genuine problem with criminal characters and fail to understand anything about the underworld society, this could be birthed from real-life experience or maybe you simply think your roleplay style and understanding of the server is superior to others.

The idea that every single character is on the same playing field in every single aspect is incredibly stupid, from what I've seen of you (6'8'' fearless chunk of metal), you don't seem to have respect for development and would much rather create a self-serving, poorly RPed situation, then respond in a realistic manner to situations you are faced with pertaining to criminal RP. The majority of criminals came up from violent upbringings within their family and within their communities, a lot of them where abused and neglected which caused them to turn to the street and turn to a life of crime. You will claim this is an assumption and slap up your 2003 prison-policy case study as rebuttal and I'll simply stop reading. This shouldn't be an issue, this is literally how the world works. The idea that every single character is the same is incredibly stupid, and it's more-time characters like you (unrealistically sized, unrealistically fearless, super-man) that roleplay mirrored to a huge plethora of other characters as a civilian. 

( if ur char's motivation for crime is hardship and they reach a point of success, i think that people should have the balls to develop their character past the criminality and towards normalcy. dont think that "gritty roleplay" has any value when u arrive to the trap in a rebla and log off in a playa del vista penthouse condo. that's grandstanding and blowing air up your own ass; the motivation is greed and the person roleplaying it should acknowledge it rather than blow the trumpet on how good their character is )

From this point I can't really talk to you anymore, if your response to this is anything but something that actually makes sense then this little debate has been quite fun.

You do not understand the neurological aspects of psychology neither do you understand general psychology. There's a lot you're missing out on here.

Everything I said has been from experience and learned fact, you've used terrible, old case studies as a basis and then splurged out BS assumption on top of it.

I hope your time on the server is long-lived but looking at the report you've got on you, I think you have a lot of work to do.

My favorite unrealistic escalation is when people g-check locals in insert neighborhood here and rather than let the squares exist in peace if they actually live there, they just harass the shit out of them and then wonder why no one wants to be a non gang affiliated local in area. While fortunately this is decreasing while time goes on, it’s still funny to mention. 

Oh and people who are role playing completely under educated characters but will quote the penal code at you with perfect accuracy and when they’re proven wrong, they resort to shooting on the traffic stop instead but you know “My character is a hot headed criminal who dropped out of high school, they don’t know better” 

Cops who immediately jump to being extremely aggressive or racist for you asking simple questions and when NATURALLY you’ll roleplay being offended, you suddenly get threatened with detainments/arrests when you were simply wondering what’s going on in your neighborhood. (Shoutout to my LEO rpers who actually have social skills) 

• Applaud 1

Unrealistic escalations, are they really unrealistic?

Let's say you're in a normal city with decently low crime rate. You go into a bar you never went to and some random-ass guy you've never seen picks a fight with you. Well shit, that sucks, but you can just walk away and probably never see that guy again. Because it's probably a big city with hundreds of thousands of people going about their daily and nightly business. This is realistic.

Now let's look at it the Los Santos way.

You're in a city where there is, at the very least, a good seven or eight hundred players each night at peak times. This means that most likely the same people are active at this given time. And, you've most likely interacted with a player before, even if it was with another character. You might not know that, but it does have an impact on the outcome a situation may have. Even if you've never interacted with that player/character before, what are the chances that they are a hot-headed individual? What are the chances they're involved in crime, the chances that they're physically responsive to your responses? The chances are high.

Why?

It's simple. The city you live in, Los Santos, is known for being a dangerous place from the get-go. Drugs, guns, chases, you name it, you have it, it's rampant. No matter if you're a law-abiding citizen, a cop, or someone neck-deep in the gritty environment of crime. Couple this with having a lot of similarity in the way people play and the path they choose to take, and you have an unsafe environment to live in. Realistically speaking? No one with a sane mind would ever want to live there and see a future for themselves.

Yet, your character does live there. They have to face the uncertainty of life in a city where life can be cut short over the simplest of things

Now what are the chances that someone violent encounters someone equally as violent and picks a fight? It's probably not going to end very well.

... Is it that far fetched? No. Your life can be cut short over something as simple as words in the real world in certain situations, if you want to talk about true realism. Life isn't all about violence, but it's present, everywhere to varying degrees. It's something we all have to live in, in one way shape of form. TV, games, news, our own life. Yeah this is a little dramatic and GTA W isn't real life, but this is to disprove the argument that Los Santos has "unrealistic violent escalations". It does not.

In short? The escalation you see isn't unrealistic, and as much as I don't want to use the "It happens IRL" argument - The escalation it's a product of the environment characters are living in. This isn't me saying that EVERYONE in Los Santos is violent - Trust me I know some people RP as being harmless, and I'm not taking this out of the equation. What I mean is, statistically, you have much higher chances for a violent character to pick a fight with someone equally, if not more violent. It's bound to happen.

By that logic I can preemptively kill anyone who approaches my character without holding their hands up in "I mean you no harm" manner. And it still would be completely pausible roleplay. In these terms zombie infested wasteland is safer, cause you can avoid most of them. Or people can just kill me, I will respawn and forget all about it. It is a game after all.

Edited by Engelbert
2 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

A lot players escalate a verbal conflict into a gunfight on a whim with the reasoning "It happens in real life so it's realistic."

Just because it's plausible doesn't mean that it's realistic to roleplay these escalations in these quantities in the server.

One of those examples is when someone holds a gun up at a person operating a vehicle.

Does it happen IRL that the gunman shoots at a person driving away? Yes, but it's improbable.

Why is it improbable? Because why would any half smart person escalate an armed robbery/kidnapping into first degree murder?

One of the reason why there's so much unrealistic escalation is that the legal system is so overburdened, and uses antiquated techniques from the 80's due to script limitations, that it's hard to properly investigate crimes. Blood, bodies and casings don't just disappear in real life precisely at 9 AM (or whenever the server restart is).

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Mistery14 said:

The escalation it's a product of the environment characters are living in. This isn't me saying that EVERYONE in Los Santos is violent - Trust me I know some people RP as being harmless, and I'm not taking this out of the equation. What I mean is, statistically, you have much higher chances for a violent character to pick a fight with someone equally, if not more violent. It's bound to happen.

This is the problem.

Basically what I got out of this statement is that "We've come to far to go back. Just deal with it."

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

This is the problem.

Basically what I got out of this statement is that "We've come to far to go back. Just deal with it."

DM servers are starting to look a little bit familiar nowadays. Might as well go full stupid.

/s

6 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

This is the problem.

I believe you've missed the point of my comment. If you're interested I'll clarify.

Just because something has always been there doesn't mean it's not meant/prone to change. I'd be glad to see Los Santos turn more peaceful, just like I'd be as interested to see it turn into a lawless, anarchic hellhole, I love dynamic change in a world, no matter the direction it takes. I just don't see why characters shouldn't be allowed to feel threatened when they're facing situations they deem threatening considering the current violent climate in Los Santos.

Let's take someone who's experienced 5 robberies. The char sees 2 guys with masks running towards them. - If your character has experienced a similar scenario before where this would be seen as a threat, wouldn't they be prone to thinking that these masked people would want them harm and therefore take action if they had the means to? Why should your character act oblivious every single time something bad happens to them? Why can't they learn and progress as people in the environment they live in?

Similarly, less exciting of a scenario, someone gives your char a death threat, your character comes from a rough background and is legally armed. Later on, that guy shows up with a bat and a buddy, but simply wants to intimidate you, and they raise their bat to scare you. You don't know what their intentions are. You're armed. You shoot. Is that poor escalation? To them it was clear, it was intimidation. But what about you? How could you know they didn't really intend physical harm?

I see these as currently valid reactions in my eyes in the context that your character is living Los Santos, and not the real world, where more thought can be put into people's behaviors and situations can be assessed differently, depending on your own environment and what you know of it.

If Los Santos wasn't such an unforgiving place to live in for everyone involved, certain aspects of poor escalation would be more relevant. The less violent the in-game setting, the more relevant poor escalation rules would be to enforce, vice-versa. It shouldn't be a static rule but instead should evolve with the overall situation and should fit the current theme just like many other rules that work in conjunction with environmental factors. Like say fear RP for riot situations. People are going to act differently because of the nature of rioting - It makes sense to have different rules for different settings of RP.