Zachary Metzger says (to You): Hey, we should have attention calling actions.

Samuel

Detailed Description

A simple few additional commands which enhance our roleplay ability, especially in groups.

In real life, through body language and eye contact, it's typically very obvious when someone is speaking to you. In game, it's near impossible to recognize. 

Relevant Commands/Items

Talk: /to [person] [text]

Low: /lowto [person] [text]

Shout: /sto [person] [text] 

I imagine it'd look something like this in a chat window:

from Zachary Metzger to John Doe, displayed on anyone's screen:

Zachary Metzger says (to John Doe): Hey, how are you?

from John Doe to Zachary Metzger, displayed on Zachary Metzger's screen:

[ ! ] John Doe says (to You) Hey, how are you?

unknown-29.png

Currently, a roleplay scene might look something like:

WRr4zcS.png

It's messy, it's outdated, and it's a pain to follow. Even with using highlights, you can't recognize when someone is calling your attention. 

How will it benefit the server?

These commands (and perhaps additional commands in the same nature as this down the line) will greatly help develop social scenes and allow us as a community leave those awkward moments when a character walks away when you're trying to talk to them. 

Edited by Samuel
  • Upvote 10

I agree with this - but I'd like to see what two players are talking, unless they whisper it. 

If there's a command like /to X *INSERT TEXT*, the text should be visible to everyone in the group, also mentioning that it's directed to X. 

+1

It seems to me like a way to force role play on people and make them to notice you in particular. I don’t think it should be implemented, the current way things are, is working well in my opinion. 

Edited by Dor
1 minute ago, SOCRATES said:

I agree with this - but I'd like to see what two players are talking, unless they whisper it. 

Exactly what I mean. The only difference is to recipient, where they see something like "You" and a highlighted [ ! ] like in /highlight. 

Just now, Dor said:

It seems to me like a way to force role play on people and make them notice you in particular. I don’t think it should be implemented, the current way things are is working well in my opinion. 

It's a conversation, how is that forced? In real life, when you speak to someone, you usually turn your face towards them and it's easier to recognize who is speaking to who. I don't see anything forced here, it's a mess if there's a group of ten people to talk and you always have to /me speaks to X, and there's a chance X doesn't even read your action. 

• Applaud 1

I support this. It's always a mess to keep track of what's going on in a scene with a large number of people. This would help keep conversations going without getting totally overwhelmed by the surrounding chatter. 

The commands are pretty sensible too, we do something similar for whispers already. 

+1

• Upvote 1

Being a member of the Los Santos Sheriff's Department faction, I fully agree with my colleague Zachary Metzger. A lot of messy chats on everyone's screen everytime we are in a massive situation, hell, even a simple scene. This will benefit not only LEOs but every single player on the server. A definite yes from me.

p.s. I didn't even know /highlight is a thing. Thank you.

Edited by Buster[]
2 hours ago, Dor said:

It seems to me like a way to force role play on people and make them to notice you in particular. I don’t think it should be implemented, the current way things are, is working well in my opinion. 

How? You can choose not to react to it, just like in real life.

I agree with this suggestion as it would avoid confusion when talking between a group of people.

+1

5 hours ago, Dor said:

You can’t force RP on me even if you’re addressing me specifically. I can still choose to ignore you. Just because it’s addressed to me, doesn’t mean I hear it or choose to listen 🤷‍♂️

+1 for the suggestion. It’s a good quality of life change. 

Edited by Brofessor

i think this could help with those large scale scenes especially with a bunch of people around, gets very easy to get lost in the text. Also due to texture loss in large groups of people on these large scenes, people tend to go invisible and makes it so you can't really see who they're facing in order to know who they're talking to. This just makes it easier so that you can understand when someone is talking to your character. Nice quality of life change, +1.