Bolingbroke Penitentiary = North County Correctional Facility?

2 hours ago, beets said:

I'm not sure how you'd even implement this practically; if you want SD to focus more on jail, how do you incentivize that? As I've seen in my experience, mandatory jail hours only causes people to sit AFK in the bubble to check off their box for the month. You don't incentivize people to actually DO things in TTCF by making it a mandatory requirement to play the faction. In fact I'd say it has the inverse effect- people are even less likely to get seriously engaged with it if theres a time requirement.

Don't join a faction that requires jail hours and was put into the server to man the jails. I am required to roleplay events all the time that I don't find fun, but nobody forced anyone to join the SD.

2 hours ago, beets said:

I'd like to actually hear what could be done in practice that would make jail roleplay engaging for CAs and deputies. Running chow, yard, etc. creates roleplay opportunities for inmates and I understand that- but it does ultimately end up being a chore for deputies who set it up. As far as the main topic of this thread, the hype would quickly fade away and it would end up with the same issues as TTCF. I dont see an additional faction being viable- I'm not sure why theres an expectation that creating a new faction specifically for this project would assist with anything. The idea of a Corrections dept. is nice in theory but I seriously seriously doubt there would be enough interested people that would keep that fac rolling for more than a couple weeks at best.

I think this comes down to both CA & Inmate. Both need to work on participating and not AFKing. But as far as Bolingbroke? I don't believe we will ever see a prison, and I'm quite fond of the yard that it offers. It probably would offer a lot of roleplay. 

On 5/3/2022 at 11:30 PM, TEO said:

keep ttcf, add a prison

this won't "mitigate" the problem or anything

and split the group of like 20 active inmates? makes sense

If this goes through, add SNY

Edited by vralf
3 hours ago, voucher said:

You can’t incentivize good RP and it’s obvious that 90 percent of SD can care less about jail. I remember when they added bonuses for deputies to do extra jail hours and while that may seem like a good idea, it doesn’t work in the long run because all you have to do is AFK or sit in the bubble all day instead of providing actual RP. I can’t say I blame deputies for not wanting to provide jail rp, because it’s a niche and they would rather be a detective, tactical team member, etc than work a county jail. It’s never going to be engaging for them because they could give a shit less either way. If there were no jail hours, a high majority of deputies would never set foot in jail. SD has however gotten better in recent times under Stephen, and the newer CAs like @Sim and @sixtyeight amongst others provide near daily events in jail. 

Will a corrections faction be super active? Definitely not. But I fail to see how it can be any worse activity wise than SD historically or right now, because the few people in it would actually care solely about custody RP. Jail is also sporadically active and goes through peaks and down periods. If SAPR was added to police a mostly inactive state park and the county after the hunting update, a small but dedicated faction dedicating to the niche of jail rp would be doable if the right people and circumstances permitted. 

There was actually a good amount of us that were really focused on running the jail, although at the time there was a lot of things you can't do while being under a custody assignment (drive certain vehicles, uniforms, patrol restrictions while under a custody assignment) which overall steered a lot of players from wanting to do the jail RP. 

There's always going to be less players that are interested in custody roleplay due to the restrictions internally with the assignments which make them less desirable than being a Detective, etc. 

I remember when LSSD first started and said their main focus would be manning the jails with patrols as a secondary responsibility........ lol.

End of the day, can't force people to do what they don't want to do. It's unfortunate that manning the jails is so low on the list. Not sure how to fix it though.

Edited by Brofessor
  • Applaud 1
9 hours ago, Brofessor said:

I remember when LSSD first started and said their main focus would be manning the jails with patrols as a secondary responsibility........ lol.

How the turns have tabled. 

If I remember correctly, originally the concept was for sheriffs to become a pre-dominantly "Corrections" based faction. A secondary law enforcement faction that would shoulder the responsibilities of courtroom security & services, jail staffing & corrections as a whole. Their expanse to do the complete opposite of that and become, as others mentioned, an alternative version of the LSPD was never part of the deal.. But that's a topic for another day. And for better or for worse, agree or disagree, this is how things turned out, and are unlikely to change. 

My humble opinion. The main issues I hear as a cop-rper from the jail rp-ers. Is 

1) Lack of RP / non existant RP in the regular jail cells where people were held for less than an hour. 

-> Somewhat adressed these days as vast majority of misdemeanors go above that. 

2) Lack of staffing on behalf of the sheriffs, who evolved from custody focused to patrol focus.  

-> A problem that is much harder to fix. In order to have healthy jail/prison RP, you need to have an active inmate population aswell as an active correctional officer/deputy population. And whilst it's perfectly possible for every regular joe to knock on SD's door and work as a custody deputy as part of their civilian employment section, it's not really that active. Despite being there for quite some time. 

One creative way I thought about somewhat alleviating this, is to allow LSPD officers to volunteer at the prison and augment custody deputies. Necessary policies, procedures and everything would obviously need to be worked out and a framework erected for it. But it's a viable way to include the other major LEO faction. And provide another somewhat steady pool of capable people. 

Creating another faction purely focused on corrections won't necessarily solve the manpower issue. Prison guard RP is pretty niché. Not alot of people want to spend their time sitting in a prison environment. As much as I'd love for there to be an actual prison faction, it won't solve problems and won't really validate the time & effort being put in to establish it in the first place. 

Same goes with bolingbroke. I understand the idea of "Hey, this building looks somewhat closely like Twin Towers Correctional. Lets use this one." 

It just.. Doesn't provide the same aesthetic appeal as bolingbroke does. in GTA SA, you actually had a prison vibe if you went to Green Haven Correctional on RCRP, or LSP on LSRP. You don't really get that with twin towers. 

I support the move from main everyday prison activities and housing to bolingbroke. It just makes far more sense to use it. People use the "But it's a state prison, not a county jail" card. But lets remind ourselves this is still a game, and we've made plenty of concessions in other area's that differ from real life. I feel this one should be no different. And if you look at it more closely, Majority of the people getting arrested are getting arrested for one (Usually more than one) felony/felonies. People that would usually go straight to state prison anyway. Plus there's no reason one section of the prison couldn't function as med-sec county jail, and another as high-sec state prison. 

• Upvote 1
  • Jonesy locked this topic