Petty Crime

Brenko

Short description:  Add more petty crime options.

Detailed description: I think it would be beneficial if things such as shoplifting, general theft (from houses and vehicles, such as car radios and GPS systems) and similar forms of small time crime were added. For example being able to break car windows and steal car radios, shoplift alcohol and cigarettes, break into houses and steal electronics etc. A pawn store would be added for you to sell the items at and it would be a new form of business. Potentially, the components for the pawn store all come from theft such as this. So there could be a 'thief' job and it basically means you steal and sell to the pawn store as a component delivery (at it's most basic level).

I think it would add a lot of RP and a much more immersive way of making money for low end criminal characters as oppose to working legit jobs or simply being on welfare. A more active approach to crime. Also add police alerts so that 1/10 times you shoplift, the police recieve a call from the store. The car alarms will obviously alert police and others to break ins and homes can have burglar alarms which do the same.

Second, the drug system should really be revamped. It has no benefit right now and is basically a dead end if you want to make money (and unless money were made an RP only concept, how much cash you make does matter). One idea could be changing the effects. Would it be possible to make something like Meth (which is used by gang members in LA to aid in violence) reduce damage taken by a small amount? That way it would be beneficial to use and would create many more drug addicts.

I'm not sure how the other drugs should work, though.

Another aspect of drug dealing that could work is instead of just relying on other players, to have a delivery system. Similar to how the jobs like garbage collection work, you could take calls/texts, drive to a checkpoint and do the deal. You'd have to stock up first of course and can deal until you are dry, then re-up. Have a system to alert police once in a while, such as a witness or neighbour calling the cops about a drug deal in progress. Also perhaps have a 1/50 chance you get robbed and they run off with the gear without paying.

Back onto the Pawn store, the way I envision it working is that it's purchased like any other business, but instead of receiving components from legitimate jobs and sources like most businesses, the component delivery is handled by the thief job. The pawn store can then sell certain items using the components. Maybe knives, machetes, hatchets and other shady weapons that aren't exactly legal or illegal. Things of that nature. The type of things it could sell are very varied. Pawn stores oten sell everything from guns to cigarettes.

Commands to add: /Thief, /Steal, /Deal, /Shoplift, /Breakin.

Items to add: Car stereos, GPS, cigarettes, laptops, televisions, games consoles, computers.

How would your suggestion improve the server? The level of RP that could come about from operating and utilising a pawn shop would be immense. From RPing an addict or petty thief stealing from cars and stores, to a burglar stealing from luxury homes, a home invader in the hood, to a shady store owner purchasing these goods, all offer an abundance of RP opportunities and player interaction, especially among the criminal fraternity. Pawn stores alone could be great RP hubs for criminal characters.

The drug suggestion would offer a better way to be active in selling drugs and would make them much more relevant than they currently are. Both suggestions also offer new RP opportunities for police as they can now choose to respond to more small offences and petty crime issues as oppose to waiting for more violent and serious offences. It offers a more dynamic range of choices and opportunities.

Home security systems could also be sold by businesses to stop burglars and thieves, along with store security options.

Additionnal information: Store hold ups or similar forms of robbery would be good, too. But I'm not sure how they would be best implemented.

Guest RydHood

That's just adding more script to stuff you can do in RP already. Let's not increase the RPG factors in the server. Hard disagree with this suggestion. If you want to do most of it, do it through roleplay means such as buying a pawn shop and actually dealing drugs.

Edited by RydHood

Pretty much what @RydHood said. From my experience on other servers adding script mechanics like the ones listed usually come hand in hand with very poor/minimal roleplay.

Adding drug benefits is a big no. We already get extra HP from using different drugs, and it's not useful in the slightest. A previous server I played on had drug benefits like the ones you explained and people would just stock up on drugs and take some right before (or sometimes during) a shootout. From my experience as well, very few people bother buying and using drugs and even less people put the effort in to RP addiction. I'm all for revamping the drug system and economy, making them more viable and useful but adding script mechanics like the ones you've stated have been tried, tested and failed.

I'm going to have to disagree with the script job too, it will simply just become a meaningless method to make money with minimal RP. Dealers should put in the effort to establish contacts with other players, sell or buy drugs from players and it should all be realistically roleplayed. Recieving random text messages with a location to deliver some drugs to an NPC just seems like the complete opposite to what is expected of a heavy rp server.

However I like the idea of adding more possible things you can steal from general stores, at the moment you can just point a gun at the clerk and take the cash from the register (not sure if it's still bugged).

Couldn't the current jobs also be done via RP then? Surely they restrict RP just as much. I mean, mining for ore isn't a very immersive way to roleplay in Los Santos, yet it's a scripted job. The point of the script is so that you can RP around those events and make money doing it scriptwise, as oppose to just RPing it and having no script benefit. It's not to replace the RP, it's to boost it and add to it.

It seems unfair to me to have lots of scripted jobs such as mining, garbage collection and fishing as examples that give you scripted cash with no RP, but if you RP a criminal you aren't allowed any sort of script compensation for spending your time Rping instead of grinding jobs.

Also, I have yet to see a clerk in a store. Where are they found?

Guest RydHood
13 minutes ago, Brenko said:

Couldn't the current jobs also be done via RP then? Surely they restrict RP just as much. I mean, mining for ore isn't a very immersive way to roleplay in Los Santos, yet it's a scripted job. The point of the script is so that you can RP around those events and make money doing it scriptwise, as oppose to just RPing it and having no script benefit. It's not to replace the RP, it's to boost it and add to it.

It seems unfair to me to have lots of scripted jobs such as mining, garbage collection and fishing as examples that give you scripted cash with no RP, but if you RP a criminal you aren't allowed any sort of script compensation for spending your time Rping instead of grinding jobs.

Also, I have yet to see a clerk in a store. Where are they found?

This makes no actual sense.

Guest RydHood
Just now, Brenko said:

Not trying to be an arse, but how does it not make sense? it's pretty clear I thought.

The current script jobs aren't great at the moment and need a complete overall in my opinion. However making it so drug deals are scripted is a completely stupid idea because like what @DD_ said, drug dealers should be focused on building relationships with people IC rather than driving to a bunch of script locations to get money for not actually doing much. Like the only suggestion from here that is actually good is the shoplifting script. Also the NPCs are bugged which is why they don't appear.

2 minutes ago, RydHood said:

The current script jobs aren't great at the moment and need a complete overall in my opinion. However making it so drug deals are scripted is a completely stupid idea because like what @DD_ said, drug dealers should be focused on building relationships with people IC rather than driving to a bunch of script locations to get money for not actually doing much. Like the only suggestion from here that is actually good is the shoplifting script. Also the NPCs are bugged which is why they don't appear.

I agree scripted jobs are generally shitty, but considering they are a reality I think we should try and make the best of it. Right now it's very difficult to make any decent profit off of dealing drugs from my understanding. This also isn't meant to substitute dealing drugs IC, it's an alternate method of dealing. People that want to deal drugs to other characters can do so and can do both. I get why you might not like it though, but I think the negatives are true of any scripted job.

Guest RydHood
1 minute ago, Brenko said:

I agree scripted jobs are generally shitty, but considering they are a reality I think we should try and make the best of it. Right now it's very difficult to make any decent profit off of dealing drugs from my understanding. This also isn't meant to substitute dealing drugs IC, it's an alternate method of dealing. People that want to deal drugs to other characters can do so and can do both. I get why you might not like it though, but I think the negatives are true of any scripted job.

I don't see any positives at all from that. It's making it more profitable to not actually RP and interact with others.