let's talk about discord moderation!!

Aquila

1 hour ago, Topinambour said:

Like "lol u fun fam" "LOL NO U" "LOL HITLER XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD". Well, except that very dialog took the involved people 65 lines (all posted within 45 seconds). 

Searched for this, couldn't find it. When did it happen?

1 hour ago, Topinambour said:

GuffyBaguette.PNG

Couldn't find these posts either:

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Honestly this thread feels like another non-issue being overblown. The chat does occasionally get out of hand, however blatant offense (racism/homophobia etc.) isn't very common. In the rare event it does happen it can be reported, no need for excessive moderation/bots.

I rarely open general chat. Either do the same or block people. That's a gaming community you're talking about, people will always troll. There's already some restrictions, such as spamming caps(Ex: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO) or even just a normal sentence in caps.  I'd not support having bots moderating our chat, never been a fan of them. Maybe because I'm barely offended, I understand that people won't change and it's normal, so I'd not even spam reports on people, just either block them or tell a higher staff member that someone is getting out of control. But that's just me, some people get offended at the tiniest things. I guess not visiting general chat that often has its perks.

21 minutes ago, Lance said:

That's a gaming community you're talking about, people will always troll.

I've been on a lot of gaming community, over more than 20 years, and it's the first time I see something like that though :p The GTA RP community is renowned for is violent lack of maturiy and its tendency to be highly inappropriate, sexist, and racist. That reputation does come from somewhere. It didn't appear magically. =/ 

Personally it doesn't bother me. Someone could slander me, troll and talk shit all day long. Racism, offensive words etc doesn't sway me but I understand that it can for others. As long as the rules are set out clearly for everyone you can moderate to your hearts content.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Pascal said:

Examples of this?

My forum complaints would be a start. 

One search of "nigga" and other variants brings up quite a lot of perfect examples. Another search of "faggot" also proves my point too.

9 hours ago, Shareef said:

i don't like dyno but adding a few filters of words that are obviously never rly jokes like "nigger" should be fine

although we definitely need more moderation on discord 

Yes.

9 hours ago, traplorde said:

from your complaints it just seems like you're just being over sensitive. you care way too much about moderating a chatbox

Not necessarily. Stuff like this doesn't have a direct impact to me, but why should edgy behaviour be tolerated? I'd love to hear your thoughts on why racist and homophobic remarks are perfectly fine to use in the modern world.

9 hours ago, aloegarten said:

Personally (as in speaking for myself), the only periods of Discord chat I partake in usually aren't moderated all too heavily and everyone seems to get along fine and have somewhat healthy discussions - sure, occasionally things get a little out of hand.
e.g - Someone completely butchers another users opinion on a topic via a misconception, strong language comes into play and such, but it doesn't last long at all and is usually nullified fairly quickly, either by changing the topic or people going quiet.
I noticed this has also happened in a fair few forum discussions, too.

I don't think trimming down personal freedom is the way to go about this at all - even if said countermeasures were to be put in place, things like this would still continue to happen. Why? It's the internet, there's all types of people, whether it be overly edgy, ignorant, blind or narcissistic, it doesn't matter. 

The main issue I see is that people don't utilise the #other chat alot of the time, it's been stated that if things like this were to happen, people should carry it over to that channel, as afaik there's considerably less moderation in it.
Maybe it's time to reinforce the idea of using that channel -- instead of trying to nullify the discussions completely, which won't work at all. Perhaps we could create a more obvious one, like #spam, #debate, #discussion(s) or whatever the staff team can think up, I'm not too good w/ ideas.

also: I do agree that racism/homophobia should be a rule that's enforced more than it is, the majority don't want to see that in 2018  and it's bad for image if it goes unpunished or unnoticed.

I think this image is relevant to your post.

Spoiler

Image result for paradox of intolerance

9 hours ago, Gryphboi said:

It's just a lil chat, you can always ignore/block people if they're beying annoying tbh.

You should be aware that blocking people does not stop edgy behaviour. Plus, it gets annoying to see "x blocked messages".

8 hours ago, Maybe Magpie said:

personally i'm pretty tired of casual slur usage and shit like that myself. just my two cents.

+1 

We're an 18+ community. Why should slur usage be acceptable? Rhetorical - it shouldn't. If people aren't mature enough to be civil then they clearly aren't mature enough to play GTA.

2 hours ago, Topinambour said:

The reason why I stopped following the Discord entirely is mostly because, well... It's a spamfest of stuff that looks edgy to those who post, and it keeps escalating until it becomes really pretty bad... Like "lol u fun fam" "LOL NO U" "LOL HITLER XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD". Well, except that very dialog took the involved people 65 lines (all posted within 45 seconds). 

To quote something I saw on another Discord:

GuffyBaguette.PNG

This is barely a caricature and this is pretty much what I see all day long on the GTAW Discord. I'm not against people finding it fun and enjoying it, but it will definitely push away other people. Like I said... It's not my thing, but that's not the real issue :p 

The issue is that it sometimes goes further than just "gently" mocking nationalities and there have been recurring moments where it went into some pretty bad racism ("BUT ITS JUST EDGY JOKE LULZ FAM XDDDDDDDDDDDDD" but yeah... No). 

It already did some damage. I tried to recruit quite a few experienced players, who came from more mature communities than the GTA one, but they were completely thrown off and went full "fuck this shit I'm out" when seeing the Discord.

Agreed. The second part of your post is very important, because one look at Discord as a new player is definitely going to either turn people away, or allow people to think that making fun of minorities is a good thing. It's not a good look.

1 hour ago, 2Frsh said:

It's that easy, I don't see the problem here. Admins can't always be looking at the chat 24/7. It's hard to enforce rules on a text-channel where a lot of people have conversations on.

If you don't see a problem here then the chances are you're part of the problem.

With how many admins we have, anyone would assume that the chat is well-moderated but only a handful of admins are ever found on the chat.

58 minutes ago, SirPuglesworth said:

I hardly see the need for bots, and most the time I've seen people use slur words like the n word, or just casual homophobia has been used purely comedic. And it goes to the saying that it's either all ok, or non of it is, obiously these people don't have racical or hompohboic intent, and if they did I imagine it would of been a hell of a lot more clearer as to who they where by the manor in which they use it. And I seriously doubt that people will be put off by seeing some of the shitpost in the chat, that's like 99% of every discord servers under the sun, if it really is that much of an issue then block the person, that way you won't see what they post anymore.

With all due respect to you as a player, racist and homophobic slurs are never comedic. People should grow up, but obviously some people cannot be reformed over the internet. Because of this dilemma, moderation is often put into place in communities to alleviate these sorts of issues.

Nobody is going to be serious on a Discord that's not at all serious. People have previously been banned and muted on Discord for behaving like tools, or even making small jokes that don't offend anyone. Now, people are openly dropping slurs without a single worry. Why?

45 minutes ago, Pascal said:

Searched for this, couldn't find it. When did it happen?

Couldn't find these posts either:

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Honestly this thread feels like another non-issue being overblown. The chat does occasionally get out of hand, however blatant offense (racism/homophobia etc.) isn't very common. In the rare event it does happen it can be reported, no need for excessive moderation/bots.

It is most definitely an issue. I suppose it is easier to notice there's an issue from the perspective of a minority, whether it's ethnic, racial, religious, gender, or sexual preference/identity.

32 minutes ago, Lance said:

I rarely open general chat. Either do the same or block people. That's a gaming community you're talking about, people will always troll. There's already some restrictions, such as spamming caps(Ex: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO) or even just a normal sentence in caps.  I'd not support having bots moderating our chat, never been a fan of them. Maybe because I'm barely offended, I understand that people won't change and it's normal, so I'd not even spam reports on people, just either block them or tell a higher staff member that someone is getting out of control. But that's just me, some people get offended at the tiniest things. I guess not visiting general chat that often has its perks.

People will always troll, so should the admin team be submissive and allow it to happen? The answer is obviously no. I would assume that staff members would be in support of a cleaner Discord server rather than accept the problems infesting it.

I would bring up examples of your posts prior to becoming staff, but I'll refrain. I'm not attacking you by any means, but I am trying to make you understand that saying certain things in the Discord is not okay.

22 minutes ago, M52B28 said:

OP is trolling us. 

When you say things like that, I know what your intentions are. It shows that you may be part of the problem, and trying to extinguish this problem is somehow a threat to you. If you don't have anything useful to add to the thread then don't post, because anyone else would assume you're trying to troll and derail the thread.

9 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

I've been on a lot of gaming community, over more than 20 years, and it's the first time I see something like that though :p The GTA RP community is renowned for is violent lack of maturiy and its tendency to be highly inappropriate, sexist, and racist. That reputation does come from somewhere. It didn't appear magically. =/ 

I can confirm that GTA communities have always, and will always be, toxic places that continue to breed toxicity. Why can't GTAW be different and break this norm?

5 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Personally it doesn't bother me. Someone could slander me, troll and talk shit all day long. Racism, offensive words etc doesn't sway me but I understand that it can for others. As long as the rules are set out clearly for everyone you can moderate to your hearts content.

It's not about whether someone takes offence, it's just that this kind of stuff shouldn't be tolerated.

Discord servers have been taken down before for being hotspots for hate, bigotry and intolerance. There are so many violations of common courtesy happening on Discord, yet only a handful of staff seem to be enforcing it. At this point, we'd need several bots to auto-moderate (since Dyno dies frequently) and admins to regularly and manually moderate the chat.

• Upvote 1
Just now, 2Frsh said:

I don't think I can be a part of the problem when I don't even use the general chat ;).

True. I was speaking in general, however. It's either people denying that there's an issue or they are completely unaware of what goes on in the Discord.

Just now, Aquila said:

True. I was speaking in general, however. It's either people denying that there's an issue or they are completely unaware of what goes on in the Discord.

I understand that it can be bothering. But it's such an easy issue to fix. There's a special button for it.

13 minutes ago, Aquila said:

It's not about whether someone takes offence, it's just that this kind of stuff shouldn't be tolerated.

Discord servers have been taken down before for being hotspots for hate, bigotry and intolerance. There are so many violations of common courtesy happening on Discord, yet only a handful of staff seem to be enforcing it. At this point, we'd need several bots to auto-moderate (since Dyno dies frequently) and admins to regularly and manually moderate the chat.

I get where ya coming from, it's easy for a community to become ignorant and shitpost-y faster than people think, especially with the samp community. Laying down the law probably makes people feel more comfortable and willing to contribute, otherwise we might just end up with a community of players who's sole objective is to belittle people, shitpost random unnecessary stuff and generally be a pain in the backside.