let's talk about discord moderation!!

Aquila

Mwell... "Just block them" is basically a transfer of responsibility from the offender to the victims. Blocking someone can work if there are a very few edge cases that aren't doing anything against the rules, but who are extremely obnoxious. Here, as far as I'm aware, racist/sexist stuff *does* go against the rules and it's not just a couple of people, so the "just block" case doesn't work quite as well. The responsibility isn't on other users, it's on the racist/sexist/whatever people to just be a little more adult. If someone is being an asshole, it's his problem to fix, it's not mine. 

5 minutes ago, Nathan said:

otherwise we might just end up with a community of players who's sole objective is to belittle people, shitpost random unnecessary stuff and generally be a pain in the backside.

^ This is important. Good, more mature RP'ers decide to not join the server when they see Discord. And edgy 12yo kids who like calling people niggers, however, they do join and they add in more of that stuff. This means over time, the first category of players will disappear while the second will be most of the playerbase. I'm not certain it's something we should aim for =/ 

Edited by Topinambour
35 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

Mwell... "Just block them" is basically a transfer of responsibility from the offender to the victims. Blocking someone can work if there are a very few edge cases that aren't doing anything against the rules, but who are extremely obnoxious. Here, as far as I'm aware, racist/sexist stuff *does* go against the rules and it's not just a couple of people, so the "just block" case doesn't work quite as well. The responsibility isn't on other users, it's on the racist/sexist/whatever people to just be a little more adult. If someone is being an asshole, it's his problem to fix, it's not mine. 

^ This is important. Good, more mature RP'ers decide to not join the server when they see Discord. And edgy 12yo kids who like calling people niggers, however, they do join and they add in more of that stuff. This means over time, the first category of players will disappear while the second will be most of the playerbase. I'm not certain it's something we should aim for =/ 

I agree. I think with most of us being literally desensitised by the internet growing up we have a very high tolerance to a lot of things. I sometimes find it funny to talk about inappropriate subjects but racism and homophobia are obviously sensitive topics. Trolling and memeing is pretty much the norm in this day and age but there's a line and it can be very easily crossed if not moderated properly.

3 hours ago, Aquila said:

My forum complaints would be a start. 

One search of "nigga" and other variants brings up quite a lot of perfect examples. Another search of "faggot" also proves my point too.

Yes.

Not necessarily. Stuff like this doesn't have a direct impact to me, but why should edgy behaviour be tolerated? I'd love to hear your thoughts on why racist and homophobic remarks are perfectly fine to use in the modern world.

I think this image is relevant to your post.

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for paradox of intolerance

You should be aware that blocking people does not stop edgy behaviour. Plus, it gets annoying to see "x blocked messages".

+1 

We're an 18+ community. Why should slur usage be acceptable? Rhetorical - it shouldn't. If people aren't mature enough to be civil then they clearly aren't mature enough to play GTA.

Agreed. The second part of your post is very important, because one look at Discord as a new player is definitely going to either turn people away, or allow people to think that making fun of minorities is a good thing. It's not a good look.

If you don't see a problem here then the chances are you're part of the problem.

With how many admins we have, anyone would assume that the chat is well-moderated but only a handful of admins are ever found on the chat.

With all due respect to you as a player, racist and homophobic slurs are never comedic. People should grow up, but obviously some people cannot be reformed over the internet. Because of this dilemma, moderation is often put into place in communities to alleviate these sorts of issues.

Nobody is going to be serious on a Discord that's not at all serious. People have previously been banned and muted on Discord for behaving like tools, or even making small jokes that don't offend anyone. Now, people are openly dropping slurs without a single worry. Why?

It is most definitely an issue. I suppose it is easier to notice there's an issue from the perspective of a minority, whether it's ethnic, racial, religious, gender, or sexual preference/identity.

People will always troll, so should the admin team be submissive and allow it to happen? The answer is obviously no. I would assume that staff members would be in support of a cleaner Discord server rather than accept the problems infesting it.

I would bring up examples of your posts prior to becoming staff, but I'll refrain. I'm not attacking you by any means, but I am trying to make you understand that saying certain things in the Discord is not okay.

When you say things like that, I know what your intentions are. It shows that you may be part of the problem, and trying to extinguish this problem is somehow a threat to you. If you don't have anything useful to add to the thread then don't post, because anyone else would assume you're trying to troll and derail the thread.

I can confirm that GTA communities have always, and will always be, toxic places that continue to breed toxicity. Why can't GTAW be different and break this norm?

It's not about whether someone takes offence, it's just that this kind of stuff shouldn't be tolerated.

Discord servers have been taken down before for being hotspots for hate, bigotry and intolerance. There are so many violations of common courtesy happening on Discord, yet only a handful of staff seem to be enforcing it. At this point, we'd need several bots to auto-moderate (since Dyno dies frequently) and admins to regularly and manually moderate the chat.

Very impressed with how long you took to reply to everyone. Nevertheless, discord chat should moderated with a pinch of leniency due to the fact that everyone has a different sense of humour. If they are continuously harassing someone then it's understandable, however if they are making a remark which you may not find funny, would it not be easier to then just ignore the remark? Let moderators do their job.

3 hours ago, Aquila said:

My forum complaints would be a start. 

One search of "nigga" and other variants brings up quite a lot of perfect examples. Another search of "faggot" also proves my point too.

Yes.

Not necessarily. Stuff like this doesn't have a direct impact to me, but why should edgy behaviour be tolerated? I'd love to hear your thoughts on why racist and homophobic remarks are perfectly fine to use in the modern world.

I think this image is relevant to your post.

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for paradox of intolerance

You should be aware that blocking people does not stop edgy behaviour. Plus, it gets annoying to see "x blocked messages".

+1 

We're an 18+ community. Why should slur usage be acceptable? Rhetorical - it shouldn't. If people aren't mature enough to be civil then they clearly aren't mature enough to play GTA.

Agreed. The second part of your post is very important, because one look at Discord as a new player is definitely going to either turn people away, or allow people to think that making fun of minorities is a good thing. It's not a good look.

If you don't see a problem here then the chances are you're part of the problem.

With how many admins we have, anyone would assume that the chat is well-moderated but only a handful of admins are ever found on the chat.

With all due respect to you as a player, racist and homophobic slurs are never comedic. People should grow up, but obviously some people cannot be reformed over the internet. Because of this dilemma, moderation is often put into place in communities to alleviate these sorts of issues.

Nobody is going to be serious on a Discord that's not at all serious. People have previously been banned and muted on Discord for behaving like tools, or even making small jokes that don't offend anyone. Now, people are openly dropping slurs without a single worry. Why?

It is most definitely an issue. I suppose it is easier to notice there's an issue from the perspective of a minority, whether it's ethnic, racial, religious, gender, or sexual preference/identity.

People will always troll, so should the admin team be submissive and allow it to happen? The answer is obviously no. I would assume that staff members would be in support of a cleaner Discord server rather than accept the problems infesting it.

I would bring up examples of your posts prior to becoming staff, but I'll refrain. I'm not attacking you by any means, but I am trying to make you understand that saying certain things in the Discord is not okay.

When you say things like that, I know what your intentions are. It shows that you may be part of the problem, and trying to extinguish this problem is somehow a threat to you. If you don't have anything useful to add to the thread then don't post, because anyone else would assume you're trying to troll and derail the thread.

I can confirm that GTA communities have always, and will always be, toxic places that continue to breed toxicity. Why can't GTAW be different and break this norm?

It's not about whether someone takes offence, it's just that this kind of stuff shouldn't be tolerated.

Discord servers have been taken down before for being hotspots for hate, bigotry and intolerance. There are so many violations of common courtesy happening on Discord, yet only a handful of staff seem to be enforcing it. At this point, we'd need several bots to auto-moderate (since Dyno dies frequently) and admins to regularly and manually moderate the chat.

Again comedy is subjective, and as I said either non of it's ok, or all of it's ok, I hardly see why we need to Increase moderation when the mute feature is avaliable, and to you these slurs may not be funny, but given context they can be very easily comedic, and it's not out fault that you or someone else gets angry or offended when it's clearly meant as a joke. If it causes you so much of an issue that you make complaints, then just mute the person or leave the server, we should cater to the mass not the I dividual.

The way I see it is that you are looking for an excuse to complain on anyone who says anything that could, even in just the SLIGHTEST regard, be considered offensive. you made a complaint on someone who posted a vine in the discord channel because it said nigga. the actions of the other two players you took the time to make a complaint about were just as innocuous. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

This is why people think the GTA RP community is toxic :( 

(and they're right)

Sorry buddy but you must be pretty young if a few bad words have such a terrible effect on your day. I repeat, suck it up, move on with your day, clearly you don't have a job if words offend you this easily.

1 hour ago, SirPuglesworth said:

Again comedy is subjective, and as I said either non of it's ok, or all of it's ok, I hardly see why we need to Increase moderation when the mute feature is avaliable, and to you these slurs may not be funny, but given context they can be very easily comedic, and it's not out fault that you or someone else gets angry or offended when it's clearly meant as a joke. If it causes you so much of an issue that you make complaints, then just mute the person or leave the server, we should cater to the mass not the I dividual.

Translated:
I think that insulting people using stereotypes that may be offensive to some, shouldn't be disallowed, mostly because I'm not gay, I'm white and very privileged and there are only about 10 insults that touch me including being called an idiot. Oh and your mom should die of cancer, hehe xd funny joekz all hjoeks allowes!

^ ps that's my form of humor, that's very very offensive yet I claim its a joke... Let's not cater to your needs of me being told that what I said is wrong, because it only offends you and there are thousands of other players on this server!

That's the most pathetic thing I've seen from you SirPuglesworth and I hope you change your mind, otherwise imma just harass you jokingly from now on.