Remove "reaches for a weapon" over head

Narco

4 hours ago, Vassilios said:

There's a few animations (such as the lighting a cigarette) that look super similar to pulling out a firearm. I wouldn't want to be shot for that.

Simple solution: if you're in a situation where you have a gun pointed at you, or you could be shot for reaching for something during a confrontation, don't reach for a cigarette?

https://streamable.com/m5kmz1 

Happened to me when I was on duty chasing a suspect before, decided to reach as if it was for a gun. This is a realistic scenario which happens every day in real life, we shouldn't need an /ame overhead to describe someone's actions when we have animations. 

8 hours ago, mj2002 said:

Doesn't this go for any /me ?

Absolutely and /ame is even meant to not be seen by people that are not facing others who are performing an action. This fact is often abused as well from what I can tell, but that's besides the point.

I'm in favor of demanding a typed /me for this action, as suggested by someone already, we're roleplaying after all. Removing the automatic /ame is fine after that's amended in the rules imo.

• Upvote 1

( Don't know if this has been said yet)

When equipping the gun out of your inventory there shouldn't be a /ame above your head.

But when pulling it out (using the wheel) it should definitely appear. And for clarity maybe something like *Insert Name reaches for Pistol/Knife/Duster*, this is to prevent people instantly shooting when taking out simple items like knifes or dusters. Cause I feel like the second you see a /ame people instantly shoot.

On 4/27/2022 at 7:49 PM, Narco said:

you should be able to identity a "shooter" by a players actions

On 4/27/2022 at 7:49 PM, Narco said:

not by text overhead which is blatant metagaming

a text based server yet a text saying someone reaches for a weapon is too much 🤯 

4 hours ago, Hotwire said:

When equipping the gun out of your inventory there shouldn't be a /ame above your head.

But when pulling it out (using the wheel) it should definitely appear. And for clarity maybe something like *Insert Name reaches for Pistol/Knife/Duster*, this is to prevent people instantly shooting when taking out simple items like knifes or dusters. Cause I feel like the second you see a /ame people instantly shoot.

you no longer do an animation when you pull a melee weapon

13 hours ago, Hotwire said:

Knives and dusters are lethal weapons, so yes people will shoot. That will change nothing.

10 hours ago, Triple Seven said:

Knives and dusters are lethal weapons, so yes people will shoot. That will change nothing.

Pretty much this,

I recall almost every "brawl" I've been in is pretty much people running around in a circle trying to punch each other while looking above the players heads for a "reaches for a weapon", then everyone just pulls their guns out and starts blasting the second that /ame pops up, or players try to abuse the 3rd person camera to see what weapon is in the players hand while running around in circles like a headless chicken.

I can kinda see why they keep it in since many people don't really roleplay drawing their firearms at least that way there is some form of text stating that a weapon has been drawn. I do think the Animation look similar to other animations and it probably would lead to even more shootings since people would just always assume its a weapon. It's probably best for the text to stay in, but I can definitely see the issues with people meta-gaming the text when they shouldn't even ICly be able to see it. Probably best to just report in those situations.